Emergent plants in a bowl? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 04:47 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Emergent plants in a bowl?

Hi I'm new, have had small aquariums in the past, but this is my try at low tech bowls/jarrariums.

I have a glass container that's about 12 inches tall and 10 inches in diameter. I think the total volume is about 3.5 g if I calculated correctly, which wouldn't include space taken up by substrate, or leaving a gap at the top.

I would like to grow a combination of submerged and emergent plants, with snails and shrimp. I'm bummed that aquariums are not allowed in the rental, so I'm making do, am sad that I can't have fish. I don't know how tall the emergent plants could get, I'm trying to see if I can find a plant that would work in this setup that the part sticking out of the water would grow a couple feet tall unsupported.

I'm trying to find a tall plant that the stems and roots could be underwater, while the rest of the plant grows in the air and found out about emergent plants. Even after searching I'm unsure what I could grow in this container, how deep the substrate needs to be, fertilizer needs, how much artificial light needs to be supplied, if other plants or creatures could coexist, etc.

Does anyone have recommendations for a tall emergent plant that could grow in this container? If this is unfeasible, what might be a better idea?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 03:11 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Check out the riparium plant thread in my signature, some of them might fit the bill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Help build the [
] and [
]
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 03:53 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thanks!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode