First freshwater tank: 5.5 Gallon Walstad - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 01:17 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
First freshwater tank: 5.5 Gallon Walstad

Hello everyone! first time posting on the forums. i've been a reef guy for the past 3 years but have always grown up watching my dad take care of his 55 gallon freshwater tank and nostalgia hit me in the lfs the other day, so here's my build of my nano 5.5 gallon. i hope you all enjoy and please feel free to drop any comments or concerns as i haven't had time to pick up Diana Walstad's book and most of my research is from forums like this one.

This was on day of creation, picked up some miracle gro organic potting mix, i believe the name is natures care organic potting mix. soaked the mix in water and picked out all the big twigs, then laid about 1" across both sides, using cardboard dividers to make a sand stream/river type look. not sure exactly what to call it lol.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0889.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	749673

This was after first waterchange to clear up tank a bit.. started process of planting tank, went out and got some moss balls, a java fern, and some dwarf sag.

Name:	IMG_0891.jpg
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	749681

went back later that day and got a small tropical sword, microsword, and micranthemum..aswell as another free polant given to me which i forgot name of, (in back)

Name:	IMG_0898.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	749697

Name:	IMG_0895.jpg
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	749689

this was a couple of days ago.. about 3 weeks since startup.. theres now some golden lloydiella and another 2 plants which i can't seem to remember the name of, driftwood came with java moss on it, seeing good growth from plants, some things browned out in the beginning but are all showing new growth after and ive been trimming the dead stuff where i can.

Name:	IMG_0954.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	749705

Name:	IMG_0955.jpg
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	749713

Name:	IMG_0956.jpg
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	749721

Name:	IMG_0957.jpg
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	749729

Thanks for reading sorry not sure why some pictures are sideways and upside down.. noone was drunk in the making of this production

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode