Suggestions for planted Betta tank - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By AquaAurora

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Suggestions for planted Betta tank

Planning a ~5g Betta build. What are some good suggestions for a setup? This will be for a betta that someone at work bought but stuck into a bowl, so I'd like to make sure it gets the habitat it deserves.

I generally like builds that I choose each component for, but since this needs to be easy and as cost effective as possible with no particular lighting needs, a kit sounds appropriate. So far I'm considering:
Fluval Spec V
Marineland 5g Portrait Kit

Any thoughts on these (or others) for a Betta? They both seem to have adjustable flow, but different footprint. I am leaning towards Spec V because while the top opening lid is smaller, it seems to have a better/larger back compartment. I also plan on using a sponge prefilter to further reduce the outflow and drop an airstone into the back to increase aeration and move some water around back there since I read someone felt it got a little stagnant.

Plants will be floaters and rhizome types like Anubias nana and maybe buce. Plant suggestions that go particularly well with Bettas would be great too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 10:59 PM
Dwarf Fish Lover

PTrader: (19/100%)
Suggestions for planted Betta tank

Fluval as a brand is a good pick. For a kit, you can do with anything, it just a matter of style you want. Fluval Spec V has a small LED light that can grow a few slow growing easy plants. I guess if the person stuck the Betta in a bowl, that person wouldn't want to bother with trimming right?

器材党
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 10:59 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I would prefer the fluval as opposed to the marineland as the marineland seems taller than the base dimensions and bettas would prefer shallower tanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 11:06 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
My betta used to love resting on the pennywort I let grow over the surface of his tank. Allows for surface growth, without the problems that come from duckweed and other surface COVERING plants. Probably would need occasional trimming though, if that's a problem.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Thanks all! I think we'll be okay with some minimal trimming. Pennywort is a great suggestion to provide the betta a place to rest!

Since there's no time to cycle a buffering substrate like AquaSoil, what are your thoughts on using Black Diamond Blasting Sand? Fine or medium grit?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 03:58 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Around the same price is https://www.amazon.com/Penn-Curved-C.../dp/B0069RR2CC

The Spec has a mighty filter, way more than you need for one betta, also you will need to mod it to slow down the flow.

Don't ask for advice. Ask for information, gather lots of information from different reliable sources. Then use the information to make your own advice.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 08:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
I usually have better luck buying individual parts for my tanks:
aqueon 5g tank check your local petstores-sometimes there will be a sale (got mine for $7)
sponge filter air pump and airline tubing for ~$20 all together, OR azoo mignon for $15 online
bulb 6500k cfl 13 watt (homedepot sells 4 pack for $5 sometimes-can also get 1-2 packs at most stores including grocery store)
reuse a desk lamp for the bulb-if bulb faces down that is strong light than if it is sideways in the fixture.
Heater you have to get-I've not found a kit that comes with heater yet. Hydro theo adjustable heaters are the most commonly recommended by betta owners, 25 watt is fine for a 5g, check around for prices, I got mine online for ~$14
lid you can visit a glass cutter and get scrap glass for cheap/free and cut yourself with a glass cutter.. or if you want something less breakable go to HomeDepot and buy LEXAN-great stuff, won't bow like thin acrylic, or break like glass. I use it on all my tanks.

betta do well with any and all plants, its just a matter of knowing you light and what will grow with it-some plants need stronger light than others. plants I use:
aquatic:
flaoters: riccia, salviniva minima, duckweed, frogbit
submerged:cyrpts, anubias, ferns, swords, vals, mosses, marimo (grows too slow to make any difference in nitrates, keep other plants with this), pennywort, ludwigia, hydro hygro, rotala, dowoni, water sprite, wisteria, bacopa, dwarf lily plant, n. taiwan ('nother lily), sag, micro sword, crinium.. i'm sure I'm forgetting plenty

Riparium (growing terrestrial plants with roots in tank, leaves above water):
pothos, peace lily, dwarf palm, lucky babmoo, wandering jew, fittonia, Helxine soleirolii.. tons more (see riparium plant list ink in signature)
aquaponics: (same as riparium but edibles for us):
dill, parsley, cilantro, green onions/scallions, lemon mint.. pretty much every herb can grow with just betta waste
ibebian and ibebian like this.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~
~

Last edited by AquaAurora; 04-19-2017 at 08:43 PM. Reason: plants

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode