Hello there! Nice to meet you all
So the bettas looked sad in their cups at the petstore. I bought one, along with the 1.5 gallon plastic tank (bowl) that they recommended. The motor was loud, and I just felt so bad for the fish in that small space. So the next day I went out and bought a spec 3.
Everything was rushed and I don't really know what I'm doing yet. I'm trying to get this tank to cycle (with the fish alive). I didn't know anything about cycling until very recently.
- The tank is 2 weeks old.
- In the filter compartments I have the fluval biomax and seachem perigen.
- 1 betta fish (i feed him 2 pellets, twice per day, 4 in total per day. He eats every piece)
- 3 types of plants (anubias of some variety, Alternanthera reineckii 'Mini', Staurogyne repens)
-- 0.1ml Prime per gallon on PWC
-- 0.1ml/day Excel Flourish (i read the plants need this because i dont have pressurized co2)
-- 0.75ml/day Stability (i read this helps cycle the tank)
-- 1ml/day StressGuard (i read this helps the fish)
- Water parameters before water change: PH 7.4, Ammonia 0ppm, Nitrite 5ppm, Nitrate 0ppm
- Water changes almost every day (33-50% depending on ammonia and nitrite levels)
- Ammonia was very high for first week or so. Now the ammonia is 0 and Nitrites are high.
- I am using the API Master Test Kit and shaking the Nitrate bottle #2 according to specifications.
- There is a green algae in the tank that arrived when I planted the 1-2-Grow plants. I have been scrubbing the glass and driftwood every second day or so.
- Tank Temperature: Recently lowered from 80 to 78.
- Lights are on a timer now. 9 hours per day (was longer previously).
I'm not sure what else I should be doing to cycle the tank and keep the fish safe. I am going on vacation in 5 weeks, so I'm trying to do what I can to get things somewhat stable before I go.
I appreciate any help I can get