5g Blackwater - The Planted Tank Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 01:56 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to Growerguy
Cool 5g Blackwater

I haven't been on this forum in years... Got into reefs and then got out of aquariums for the last year.. Well Im back and trying some new things.

This is a 5g Blackwater tank I set up a month ago.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=739994&thumb=1
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=740002&stc=1&d=1491104 632
Current stock is:
Crypt beckettii
Crypt nevilli
Crypt tonkinensis
Anubias barteri var nana
Hygrophila polysperma
Frogbit

Orange Sakura Shrimp
Boraras urophthalmoides

I am using botanicals from Tannin Aquatics to tint the water.
Using Fluval Volcanic Shrimp and Plant substrate
Azoo 150 filter with carbon removed and added biomedia
5w heater
Pressurized Co2 and fertilizers.
10w 6000k Flood lamp for lighting
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=740018&stc=1&d=1491104 632
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=740010&stc=1&d=1491104 632
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	main.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	739994  

Name:	top.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	740002  

Name:	beforetannin.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	740010  

Name:	rasboras.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	740018  

Opare, Opare, frenziedpace and 3 others like this.

Last edited by Growerguy; 04-02-2017 at 03:45 AM. Reason: fix photos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 02:01 AM
Banned

like it
IamTracyLee and IamTracyLee like this.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 02:16 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaBettas View Post
like it
Thank you
BettaBettas and BettaBettas like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 03:19 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Is it just me or are the links to the pics broken?

Sounds good in print though!

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 03:29 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Yeah, the pics aren't working for me either
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 03:34 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterLife View Post
Yeah, the pics aren't working for me either
Quote:
Originally Posted by longgonedaddy View Post
Is it just me or are the links to the pics broken?

Sounds good in print though!
Hmmm could be because I linked them from google plus pics. Let me fix them

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 03:48 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
K they work now Nice tank

What pH is at?
Growerguy and Growerguy like this.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 03:48 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I really like what you have done.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 03:52 AM
Wannabe Guru

Ah, much better! Looks good

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 04:05 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterLife View Post
K they work now Nice tank

What pH is at?
Its been holding at 6.5 but I just added more botanicals. Have to see if they drop it anymore.
BettaBettas and BettaBettas like this.

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 07:37 AM
Wannabe Guru

Good luck!
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 02:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Growerguy View Post
Its been holding at 6.5 but I just added more botanicals. Have to see if they drop it anymore.

For what it's worth, my well water comes out at pH 6.5, GH around 2, KH 0, and tds 35. I can't seem to get below 5.7.

What botanicals do you have? I've turned into a huge fan of them, and I'm always curious which ines people are using, and their experiences. I've had some of the same pods behave differently, like my one savu pod has had this persistent, and somewhat sticky, biofilm on it for like six months now. None of my other wines have/had it.

And my clown pleco loves chewing on a ra cama pod but haven't noticed him on anything else.

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 02:40 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by longgonedaddy View Post
For what it's worth, my well water comes out at pH 6.5, GH around 2, KH 0, and tds 35. I can't seem to get below 5.7.

What botanicals do you have? I've turned into a huge fan of them, and I'm always curious which ines people are using, and their experiences. I've had some of the same pods behave differently, like my one savu pod has had this persistent, and somewhat sticky, biofilm on it for like six months now. None of my other wines have/had it.

And my clown pleco loves chewing on a ra cama pod but haven't noticed him on anything else.
Hmm thats good to know. My tap water is around 7 -8 usually and pretty hard. Haven't taken a tds reading for a long while. My main planted tank is usually around 7.5 ph. I have rodi I can try mixing if the ph in this tank starts to rise.

Right now I have smaller catappa leaves, bark, and alder cones in the tank. Then just because I put coco curls in the filter.

I haven't noticed any biofilms yet. One interesting thing is the day after I put all the botanicals in I noticed lots of small detritus worms. Interesting cuz I just added the fish and shrimps within the last week and don't feed much at all. It will be fun to compare experiences.

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 04:43 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Growerguy View Post
Hmm thats good to know. My tap water is around 7 -8 usually and pretty hard. Haven't taken a tds reading for a long while. My main planted tank is usually around 7.5 ph. I have rodi I can try mixing if the ph in this tank starts to rise.

Right now I have smaller catappa leaves, bark, and alder cones in the tank. Then just because I put coco curls in the filter.

I haven't noticed any biofilms yet. One interesting thing is the day after I put all the botanicals in I noticed lots of small detritus worms. Interesting cuz I just added the fish and shrimps within the last week and don't feed much at all. It will be fun to compare experiences.
I began experimenting with botanicals about a year ago, and went full in with the tank in my sig around late September. I haven't noticed any detritus worms, other than the usual, but I have a Bunch of tiny white bugs, too small to be seed shrimp or anything like that, crawling around in the layer between the top of the substrate and the bottom of the botanical litter.

Looking forward to seeing what you experience with your blackwater botanical setup!

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 03:38 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I noticed something that may be of note today. The little bit of surface film I had has completely vanished. Donno if this is just because things are settling in or the addition of the leaves.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode