Break down and clean mature tank - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By Dman911

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Break down and clean mature tank

My 5 gal spec has been over run with hair algae for some time now. With a new light on the way I would like to remove all of the wood and plants to clean off the algae. I'm hesitant Because it may take a day or two to complete. What is the best way to maintain tank and fish with out having a mini cycle?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 03:11 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcoc3053 View Post
My 5 gal spec has been over run with hair algae for some time now. With a new light on the way I would like to remove all of the wood and plants to clean off the algae. I'm hesitant Because it may take a day or two to complete. What is the best way to maintain tank and fish with out having a mini cycle?

Leave the substrate in place, remove plants/rocks clean and replace then wait a few days and clean the filer. Always wash filter media in old tank water best done when preforming a water change and not to aggressively.

Good idea to test during this process so you know what's going on and if your tank does start a mini cycle

Dan
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 03:12 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Hi 3053, welcome to TPT! I'd keep the filter and substrate submerged to maintain beneficial bacteria. You should be fine. Curious as to how you got the hair algae...I think the stock lights are fairly low-light. What is the new light you're getting? Good luck:-)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 01:29 AM Thread Starter

I had two fluval aqua life and plant lights over it. Even with 3 layers of window screen it was too much. I have a finnex planted+ 24/7 coming so I can at least dim the light and it will look much better aesthetically. I currently am running an sponge filter in it to cycle. so hopefully I can hold the fish in a bucket for a day or two.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode