Help With Plants in my Unusual Nano Tank!! - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By Jennywren

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Help With Plants in my Unusual Nano Tank!!

Hi all!

I'm looking for some advice on improving the performance of the plants in my nano tank. Some are doing fine, others are limping along or even failing.

I have never done CO2 injection, and although the plants in my previous tanks have flourished, (bright light+root tabs+dumb luck) I have a lot to learn when it comes to actually providing for them. Now that I'm having issues in this five gallon, I'm looking to refine my understanding of what plants need, and to get a good diagnosis from the experts

Here are some pictures of the tank (in which you can partly see the plant issues):

UPDATE: My Moroccan Courtyard Aquarium - Part 2 Filled! - Album on Imgur

I posted on Fishlore.com about whether adding CO2 would help, and the general response was that it would not benefit me since what I have is probably macro nutrient deficiency (I'm using 2/3 RO and 1/3 spring water in the tank). Here is the full breakdown:

TANK SPECS:
Volume: 5 gal
Inhabitants:
1 betta
5 endler-sized "feeder guppies"

Plants:
Rosette Sword (doing well)
Java fern windelov (doing well)
Anubias nana petit (doing quite well)
Some kind of crypt (doing well)
Anubias barteri (yellowing leaves)
Anubias coffeefolia (yellowed and died over the course of 4 months)
Water wisteria (doing okay...gets brown patches, some leaves melt, etc)
Amazon frogbit (not doing super, gets yellow leaves and brown spots, roots grow long)

Water Specs:
2/3 RO, 1/3 Spring
AM-0
NI-0
NA-0
pH- 7-8, need to re-test
GH- need to re-test
KH- need to re-test

Ferts:
5 dr. Flourish Comprehensive twice a week after water changes (I sometimes forget)
10 dr. Iron twice a week after water changes (I sometimes forget)

Light:
Satelite Pro Plus LED fixture at about 50% intensity 6" above the tank
Supplemental small LED light of unknown intensity directly above water wisteria

Temp: 76-77

Filtration: DIY sponge filter in right corner, additional airstone in left back corner

Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated!

(NOTES: This is actually my second batch of wisteria. The first just got rattier and rattier till I tossed it. This batch seems to be doing a little better overall. Same is true with the frogbit-it got progressively worse till I just scrapped it. I should note that I was also clipping off yellow leaves and trimming the roots, which I don't think it liked. D:

The anubias each tell a different story. The two anubias nana I've had for almost five months (since I set up the tank) appear to be thriving and growing, esp since I've been dosing the liquid ferts. The Anubias barteri is of the same vintage, and is stunted with some yellowing leaves (green veins), though it did put out a new healthy leaf or two when I got more consistent with the ferts. The coffeefolia that was purchased at the same time as the other two types of anubias gave up growing fairly soon after its introduction and died a slow death over 5 months, yellowing and falling apart. It has since been replaced with another barteri (3 weeks or so in the tank) which is doing okay but has one small yellow leaf.)

(WATER NOTES: I use the RO+spring because my tap water is problematic on many levels. It swings wildly (with the exception of the pH, which is always sky high), sometimes it's perfect, other times it has like 2ppm ammonia and 1ppm nitrite. Here are the parameters currently:

AM -just under 0.5
NI - greater than 0, less than 0.25
NA - 10
pH - 8.8 or higher
GH - 2
KH - 5

In addition to this, it has a bunch of tannins, which ruin the look of my mostly white aquarium. When I first set the tank up, I tried filtering the tap water through fresh activated carbon to remove the tannins and there was no improvement after like 2 days. I haven't tried Purigen, which I hear does a pretty great job, but even if it works that still leaves me with a crazy pH,etc. Is there a better way to deal with all this than my current solution?)
Maclyri and Maclyri like this.

Last edited by Jennywren; 04-05-2017 at 06:55 PM. Reason: adding pics

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode