Slow 22long build. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 03:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
Slow 22long build.

In the planning stages at this point as I'm in the middle of building a dwarf lionfish setup in my kitchen at the moment.

I picked up an Aquamaxx 22L from Marine depot on sale awhile back. I'm planning on making it my desk tank once I rearrange some furniture.

Filter;
My thinking at the moment is to use an Aquaclear 30 but pipe the intake to the far end of the tank and cap it with a sponge filter. This will give me a sort of linear flow from one end to the other. A bit hillstream-ish perhaps. I'll use seachem matrix for biomedia and BRS activated carbon as well as purigen in the filter.

Substrate;
Black diamand blasting grit

Aquascape;
Some sort of river stone descending structure and a bit of driftwood.

Plants;
A couple java fern to camo the sponge filter intake. Otherwise I'm not sure. I was thinking a micro sword "lawn" but it might look better with open sand. Probably some anubias petite or some nano Buce's on the driftwood. Maybe some mini pelia as an accent around the base of the driftwood.

Heater; probably two cobalt neotherm(they are short)

Planning on setting up an ATO and probably dose metricide via the ATO water.

Light; Not sure. I was originally thinking a finnex stingray, but I'm open to other ideas.

Fish list;
Pseudomugil gertrudae (6-12), CPD(6-12), stiphodon species undecided so far(6?) .

Invert list
Amano(4-6), Wood/Bamboo shrimp(1), CPO(3), maybe a bunch of RCS culls as well. Possible a nerite or two but I don't want to risk the stiphodon's source of aufwuchs by adding too many algae eaters.

Not sure if I'm overstocked or under at this point It might be nice to have something like a group of Badis as well just for personality but I want to make sure there is plenty of real estate for everyone. Also not sure if the CPO's pose a likely risk to the stiphodons?

The dreaming is the fun part, next comes the work.

"Not my circus, not my monkeys"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 09:50 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Lionfish? The salt water invasive species? I hear they're delicious.

Don't ask for advice. Ask for information, gather lots of information from different reliable sources. Then use the information to make your own advice.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 10:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
never heard of that @FishRFriendz but I don't eat seafood so I cant say why I would hear that. Is this a Salt or Freshwater tank? :O kind of confused??
he said java fern, BUT LIONFISH?????

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 01:52 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishRFriendz View Post
Lionfish? The salt water invasive species? I hear they're delicious.
No dwarf lionfish haven't been found to be invasive.............yet anyways. Just the big p.volitans that are reproducing like crazy now. I've never tried them but I've heard they taste good as well.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaBettas View Post
never heard of that @FishRFriendz but I don't eat seafood so I cant say why I would hear that. Is this a Salt or Freshwater tank? :O kind of confused??
he said java fern, BUT LIONFISH?????
The lionfish was in reference to my current tank build which is why this one is going to take some time to get off of the ground.

Bump: With this project I'm still debating my original premise. I've always wanted to keep CPD's as well as stiphodons so planning a tank for both seem like a good idea. Just not sure if they will really do their best together. ie will the CPDs do well/engage in normal behavior in a partial hill stream setup, or vice versa will the stiphodons need more flow than this compromise would provide.

Also will a compromise scape between the two even look right? Never enough tanks.............

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 02:10 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
to me it would look fine Stiphodons are awesome btw good choice
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

OK so I'm debating about a change in plan for this. Considering doing a Betta albimarginatta setup instead. This is why I suffer from MTS

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-11-2018, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

So still in the planning stages. I need to move some stuff around in the room before I can set the tank up. Which basically means I can't do anything until I bribe a friend or two to help me move out the stand that I used to have two 40Bs on(it's big enough for a 240 gallon tank) So moving it by myself isn't an option.

I'm back to a hillstream setup for stiphodons. I haven't picked a specific species yet(semoni maybe?). I may be switching out the plan to use my AC30 and go with two powerheads pulling through a manifold from two sponge filters(more traditional setup). To cobalt neotherm 50 Watt heaters should do the trick with redundancy.

Not sure about what to use for light. Usual recommendations are for high light to promote aufwachs but also suggest Anubias, Java Fern, and Bolbitis as plants to use which generally don't do well in high light.

Tankmates are also a question mark. I was leaning towards CPD but I'm not sure this would be heavily planted enough for them to get comfortable. Kubotai might be a better choice? Of course regular danios would be an obvious choice but I was hoping to go with something smaller so I could have a larger school. Also not sure if something else would work on the bottom with the gobies or if I should just leave it to them.

For inverts, maybe some Nerites, CPO, Amano, ghost shrimp, bamboo or vampire shrimp.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode