Planted Recycled Bottle Lamps - The Planted Tank Forum
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 03:41 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Planted Recycled Bottle Lamps

mindnova, mindnova, x0769 and 19 others like this.

-Shaun

Last edited by JohnsonS; 08-26-2018 at 11:44 PM. Reason: Deleted Content
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 05:54 AM
Algae Grower

Beautiful, and very creative! I'd give up some tank space for one of these!
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 07:15 AM
Wannabe Guru

This is fantastic great job! You are quite the craftsman. Wonderful photos as well.
I think this forum needs a wabi-kusa/emersed setup sub-forum as there have been a few of them popping up and they are quite beautiful. After seeing this I'm curious to see your other setups, I'm a big fan of darts frogs, and am dreaming of a setup in the future. Is there a link where I can find your other stuff?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenSoCal View Post
Beautiful, and very creative! I'd give up some tank space for one of these!
Thank you, Karen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opare View Post
This is fantastic great job! You are quite the craftsman. Wonderful photos as well.
I think this forum needs a wabi-kusa/emersed setup sub-forum as there have been a few of them popping up and they are quite beautiful. After seeing this I'm curious to see your other setups, I'm a big fan of darts frogs, and am dreaming of a setup in the future. Is there a link where I can find your other stuff?
Thank you!

I agree; I remember searching this forum a while back for all of the emersed and wabi-kusa setups that I could find and it was a bit of a chore. It would be nice to see all of those in one place.

I don't have any decent up-to-date photos of my dart frog vivaria, but you can find all of my projects and photos over on my Flickr page (the link can be found in my signature).
Opare and Opare like this.

-Shaun
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 03:23 PM
Wannabe Guru

Piece of art! Nice

My Tanks

|

Subscribe to my

Follow me on

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 03:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

how much you want
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 03:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

I'll check it out thanks! I also have an emersed nursery setup, as well as a little Iwagumi emersed fishbowl. It's in my signature if you wanna have a look, but the photos I took of the fishbowl aren't great.

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
I'll check it out thanks! I also have an emersed nursery setup, as well as a little Iwagumi emersed fishbowl. It's in my signature if you wanna have a look, but the photos I took of the fishbowl aren't great.
Thank you for pointing out the link to your thread. I found a few similar ones while searching for inspiration. They are a good source of information, if for nothing else but to see how various species can be grown in such conditions.

Not being familiar with aquarium plants, I have been hesitant to try most species - mainly going for tissue culture plants, which have proven to be the easiest for me. I would, eventually, like to try growing Anubias, Bucephalandra, Cryptanthus and Echinodorus spp., amongst others, in these types of setups but, unfortunately, I think most prefer more humidity than I can provide most of the time.

-Shaun
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 06:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

Yeah I've heard Echinodorus species really like a high humidity, unless you circumvent this by having the crown underwater, and letting the leaves reach for the air. I have some growing outside this way, but it's to be noted I live in a tropical country so humidity is usually through the roof anyway. The Anubias may be a bit easier.
Speaking of which was going to ask how you adapted the plants in these setups to the humidity of your room.

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 06:59 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Beautifully creative!

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Speaking of which was going to ask how you adapted the plants in these setups to the humidity of your room.
I usually cut the bottom out of a deli container to fit over the top of the bottle base; I start out with no ventilation and then gradually add more by punching holes in the lid. After a few weeks the plants usually root and acclimate enough to remove the container altogether.

-Shaun

Last edited by JohnsonS; 03-27-2017 at 03:02 PM. Reason: spelling
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 03:00 AM
Wannabe Guru

Ah I think I may try that with my fish bowl, I have been just giving it some time each day where I take off the lid and increasing that slowly each day, but may opt for the holes instead.
BTW I had a look at your Flickr and your projects are amazing! The photos of your builds, adventures and tanks are all so good.

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Ah I think I may try that with my fish bowl, I have been just giving it some time each day where I take off the lid and increasing that slowly each day, but may opt for the holes instead.
BTW I had a look at your Flickr and your projects are amazing! The photos of your builds, adventures and tanks are all so good.
I think as long as your acclimation process is gradual, it doesn't matter what method you use. I had several lids, all with a different number of holes in them, for that deli container and so it was easy enough to just pop a lid off and put a new one on. I used plastic wrap on a Do!Aqua bowl and that worked fine.

Thanks for the kind words, Opare.
Opare and Opare like this.

-Shaun

Last edited by JohnsonS; 03-27-2017 at 03:20 PM. Reason: .
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Opare, Opare, BettaBettas and 1 others like this.

-Shaun

Last edited by JohnsonS; 08-26-2018 at 11:44 PM. Reason: Deleted Content
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 03:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

You should make a how to thread, I would love to do this myself but idk how :O

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode