Filter recs for a 5 gal - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By FishRFriendz

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 02:32 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Filter recs for a 5 gal

Hey all I currently have a sponge filter running in my planted micro rasbora tank. It is HUGE and I don't like that it's taking up so much space in my tiny tank. It also produces rather large bubbles and I'm trying to develop some surface plants.
So, looking to find an HOB that wouldn't blow my rasboras and the 4 shrimp I have in there all over.
I've seen the AZOO filters and like the cost and look of those. I hate the tetra whisper filters, never had good luck with them.
Any advice appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170318_224107_1490409188540.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	736338  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 03:34 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
https://www.walmart.com/ip/RC-Hagen-...&wl13=&veh=sem

I think aquaclears are the best hobs. You can adjust the flow on this so it won't blow your livestock around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 09:59 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
I'd just mod the sponge filter to have an airstone so it will produce smaller bubbles.

There is the ZooMed 501 I hear is good.
John Warren and John Warren like this.

Don't ask for advice. Ask for information, gather lots of information from different reliable sources. Then use the information to make your own advice.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 08:33 PM
Wannabe Guru

Couple nano filters from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00T6HPZFI..._t2_B00ESWVCR6

https://www.amazon.com/JEBO-501-Hang.../dp/B00ESWVCR6

I own a Jebo 501, it's been in use for about 10 months now. No complaints, but keep it's cover in place, and clean the filter slide-in every other week. I've replaced the slide-in filter with an AquaClear 20 sponge and a small sponge filter on the inlet pipe and the cleaning schedule is extended to every other month. Be careful about the joints on the filter intake as they are not real strong.

Starting small, keeping it simple..(?)
250 gallon stock tank, "pond"
20 gallon H CBS Shrimp tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 08:37 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
As another suggestion you could use a matten filter. Doesn't really fix the size of the thing in the tank the way an hob would but they are a great filter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 09:26 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishyrose View Post
I've seen the AZOO filters and like the cost and look of those. I hate the tetra whisper filters, never had good luck with them.
Any advice appreciated!

I have an azoo mignon 60 on my 5.5 gal. Great little filter. Adjustable too and you can fill it with any media you want. I have it stuffed full of sponge, ceramic, and purigen.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 01:22 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attackturtle View Post
I have an azoo mignon 60 on my 5.5 gal. Great little filter. Adjustable too and you can fill it with any media you want. I have it stuffed full of sponge, ceramic, and purigen.
What fauna do you have in your tank? Is it fairly planted? Just wondering if it will keep up with my fish.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 09:41 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Wow, the filter that comes with the Penn Plax Radius water worlds is shocking. I just got the 10 gallon version and it's such a waste that they included this rubbish! For the price of the motor alone they could have included a really decent sponge filter at retail price.

I gotta believe that there is some way to mod the filter to make it decent.

Gettin out the cyanoacrylate and left over filter parts box!

Don't ask for advice. Ask for information, gather lots of information from different reliable sources. Then use the information to make your own advice.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 12:09 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
An Aquaclear 20 HOB will be more than enough to filter a 5g. I have one on my 12" cube (roughly 5-7g once substrate and hardscape are factored in). Works great in respects to the Azoo in that it has enough space to properly insert biomedia. Azoo's are essentially a HOB sponge filter and they also work very well when used like that. Many have modified the Azoo's to "perform" like Aquaclears but for a 5g tank I'd just get the Aquaclear from the get-go.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode