Floating Plants for a 5gal? - The Planted Tank Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 06:22 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Floating Plants for a 5gal?

Hey there.
I have 5gal all set up with 2 amano shrimp and a mix of 12 chili and strawberry rasboras. Oh and 2 tiny zebra thorn nerite snails.
I'd really like to get some floating plants to help cut the light and provide some more cover for my rasboras. I would prefer not to have super long roots though.
Please ignore my little GSA problem, the nerites are working on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170318_224107_1489900751456.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	734618  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170317_140225_1489900914431.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	734626  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 09:08 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well, there's the usual crew of shade plants: duckweed (recommended if you have a goldfish or vegetarian fish), hornwort, and riccia.

Duckweed, depending on the variant, can have either really short or really long roots. It doesn't add a plant at a time, it multiplies. Similar plants would be things like azolla.

Hornwort is also good, as it tends to form a "mass" rather than send out roots. Same with riccia.

Another thing you could do is just add trimmings from when you trim your plants. I did it for a while with my HC, and it looked pretty cool.
NickAu and NickAu like this.

So many fish to keep, not enough aquaria.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 10:21 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Well, there's the usual crew of shade plants: duckweed (recommended if you have a goldfish or vegetarian fish), hornwort, and riccia.
Great plants.

Quote:

Hornwort is also good, as it tends to form a "mass" rather than send out roots. Same with riccia.
Roots hanging down look cool and small fish love hanging out in them and looking for food among them.

It also depends on what plants you have and how much light they need, the top of your tank can be a feature just as much as the inside.

This is the top of my Betta sorority. I went with the top of a pond look.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 01:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Red root floater and Silvana both have short roots and are vastly easier to manage than duckweed. Dwarf water lettuce and frogbit both have longer roots and if that's not your thing I would avoid then

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Help build the [
] and [
]
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 02:29 PM
Algae Grower

+1 Salvinia Minima

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 04:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

Looks like the OP already has Hornwort, it's a great plant if you can get it to grow well.

Not sure I can add any suggestions. I happen to like Oak Leaf Water Sprite, C. Cornuta, but it has the long roots problem. The OP should consider that micro rasboras are not particularly fond of being surface dwellers, and that providing a floating cover may make them spend more time out in the open, it's probably not going to encourage them to frequent the surface.

Also note that you're also on the edge of overstocking, so keep up the frequent water changes and keep a close eye on the water chemistry so there isn't big swings in pH and hardness.

Starting small, keeping it simple..(?)
250 gallon stock tank, "pond"
20 gallon H CBS Shrimp tank

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 06:42 PM

I have water sprite floating in my 5.5 gallon betta tank. The roots grow super long though and it grows like crazy.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 03:20 PM
Wannabe Guru

How is your livestock doing? I'm thinking about to add 4 amano's and 6 green rasbora in a 6.6 gallon.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 03:22 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Is that a Penn Plax tank? Looks like one of the radius curved corners.

I'm also looking for some floating plants, but more as a means of easy removal of converted waste (fish food goes into tank, plants come out). So far I've been making do with water wisteria which takes to floating fine but has very long roots which don't bug me as it's just a sign that it's ready to get pulled out and put outside in container pond. I'm just sayin', prolly not much to worry about long roots, you'll end up removing plants as a maintenance 'trim' anyways.

+vote for Red Root Floaters and Salvinia Minima, I've been looking for them myself, but it's hard to get off Amazon, and after a bad Ebay of java moss, I'll not waste any more time or money on living products from ebay without someone to vouch for a vendor personally.

Don't ask for advice. Ask for information, gather lots of information from different reliable sources. Then use the information to make your own advice.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishRFriendz View Post
Is that a Penn Plax tank? Looks like one of the radius curved corners.
It is a Penn Plax with an AZOO mini light and sponge filter.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrampsGrunge View Post
Looks like the OP already has Hornwort, it's a great plant if you can get it to grow well.

The OP should consider that micro rasboras are not particularly fond of being surface dwellers, and that providing a floating cover may make them spend more time out in the open, it's probably not going to encourage them to frequent the surface.

Also note that you're also on the edge of overstocking, so keep up the frequent water changes and keep a close eye on the water chemistry so there isn't big swings in pH and hardness.
Thanks for all the advice!
I have noticable growth on my hornwort after only a week, so I think I may stick with that.

I am aware that my rasboras won't be surface dwellers, but they really like to have something over their head and are already hanging out in the open area under the hornwort more.

I do a partial water change every week and test every week as well and my parameters have stayed very consistent. I'll probably switch some snails to my other tank once this one's algae problem is slightly more under control.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 06:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Frogbit, and duckweed is my favorite floating plant in my five gallons
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 06:23 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Salvinia Minima! It has short roots and hardy. Mine got doubled within two weeks.

I had Brazilian Pennywort floating in my 8.6g. It grew well and looked pretty. Unfortunately, I had to discard it when it got too much diatoms.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 02:01 AM
Algae Grower

I replaced my ailing frogbit with floating fern a few weeks ago. It's so much better.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 02:48 AM
Planted Member

Red root floater is great, my Chili Rasboras love it. I'd be happy to mail some to you if you cover shipping and like $1-3 for the plants

Go Timbers

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode