First Planted Shrimp Nano - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
First Planted Shrimp Nano

Hello all!

I'm in the process of setting up my first planted tank - so far it's been a lot of fun! My current office situation consists of a windowless cubicle (a bit of a drag during the bright summer months to say the least). So, for the past few months I've been toying with the idea of putting together an office tank. I've been holding off until now though because I've been weary of putting together a fish tank that would require a ton of maintenance. After doing some reading on this site, it seems like a shrimp tank might be a great solution!

I've already started setting up the 1.5 Gallon tank that I picked up last week. So far, my set-up includes some aquarium sand, a rock and three different varieties of aquatic plants. The girl working at the LFS didn't know the names of any of the plants besides the Java fern so please feel free to let me know if you recognize any of them!

I'm currently planning to leave the tank plants-only for the next few weeks in the hopes of determining whether any snail eggs have hitched a ride on the plants. While I do think the snails are adorable, I'd really rather not have any in the tank if I can avoid it. Does anyone know how long I'll need to leave the plants in quarantine before I can assume that I won't have any snails to deal with? I also have a florescent lamp that fits nicely over the top of the tank (not the one shown in the photo). Any suggestions on how long I should be leaving the light on each day?

Once any snail situation is dealt with I'm intending to add a piece of Mopani driftwood that I'm currently boiling and finally 3-6 Amano Shrimp.

Any comments or suggestion will definitely be welcome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 04:19 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
That's a cute tank. Does it have a filter?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 04:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (105/94%)
I have that tank for my 1 red claw shrimp that I kept. It does have a filter and a light as well. Great little 1.5G tank.

Good little scape you got going there too!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 04:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (90/100%)
Send a message via AIM to A Hill
Nice little tank, I would suggest making sure the rhizome of the java fern isn't buried because it'll die that way.

I'd also suggest not keeping all those amano shrimp in there, they get large... Maybe try Cherry shrimp or something a bit smaller if you want a group?

Welcome.
-Andrew
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Clare12345 and msnikkistar!

A Hill: Interesting point about the Java Fern - I'm not sure how to deal with this issue. I suppose I could try to tie it onto something, but that's definitely not the look I was wanting. It was actually planted in the tank at the LPS so I just assumed that I would be able to do the same in my tank. I'll have to think more about this I guess. As for the Amano Shrimp, I'll definitely keep their size in mind. I was intending to only start with 3 anyway and potentially work my way up to 6 once I got a better gauge of their size in the tank. Cherry Shrimp are definitely out for me though - from everything I've read they're much too easy to breed (a situation that I'm hoping to avoid by using Amano Shrimp).
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 06:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Well Done
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 10:03 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Always nice to see another Canadian on here. Great looking tank so far!

Besides the windelov java fern, you have a Vallisneria spiralis and what looks like a Micranthemum umbrosum (baby tears). Is it LED lights that comes with the tank?

Tony

My
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and my

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 10:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (105/94%)
Yup they are LED lights.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLE041 View Post
Always nice to see another Canadian on here. Great looking tank so far!

Besides the windelov java fern, you have a Vallisneria spiralis and what looks like a Micranthemum umbrosum (baby tears). Is it LED lights that comes with the tank?
Thanks for the plant help! I'm hoping that all the plants stay healthy but I have to admit that they're looking a little worse for wear currently. The baby tears especially is starting to look a bit raggedy. I'm wondering if I need to add some fertilizer to the tank, but I'm concerned that it might promote algae growth since I don't have any shrimp in there yet? Funny enough, the Java fern looks the best out of the three, but that's the one that really should be planted differently. Hopefully they'll start to grow a bit better once they get adjusted to the tank

The light that comes with the tank is LED, but I'm also using a florescent lamp to give better light. In fact, I'm almost tempted to rip out the LED light altogether - it doesn't give much light at all compared to the lamp.

Tags
nano, shrimp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode