8" X 14" Vase planted - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By Econde

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
8" X 14" Vase planted

Don't have time for the hobby like I used too, (had 40 tanks at one point). But after years of no tanks I decided I wanted to try something new.

This is the result, it's a 8"D x 14" tall round vase, with a couple inches of a fine gravel or maybe better describe as a coarse black sand. It contains some small Vesuvius sword, a larger Crinum, and some barteri.
I think I will get rid of the barteri tough and use some mini form instead either on the bottom or if I can find a small piece of branch driftwood glue them on there...
I'm looking for something that will carpet the bottom....any suggestions or suggestions on the setup in general? There will be no co2 and the light which I can't find info on is from a PENN PLAX 1 terrarium setup that came in broken from work... its only decribed as a "HIGH Powered" LED... I'll see how it works, if needed will swap, so would like suggestions on that too...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3783.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	732322  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Par 38 fixture

Would this be way to powerful?? I would. It use the reef lamp, I would get another par38 freshwater.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3794.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	732418  

Last edited by Fishyfanatic; 03-13-2017 at 11:29 PM. Reason: More info
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 09:53 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishyfanatic View Post
Would this be way to powerful??
That is just the goosneck for the bulb no? And that bulb they are showing is for saltwater tanks. It would be still be too strong and not the proper color.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk
Fishyfanatic and Fishyfanatic like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

20g Long -Retired
10g Betta tank -Retired
1.1 Gallon Vase -Retired

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yes I know about the bulb, it is just the gooseneck, I would get a par38 freshwater bulb, still thinking that could be to much....?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 12:30 AM
Wannabe Guru

fishRfriends is using a $6 USB reading light over his gallon tank, ( correction: has added an additional one for more light..)

Starting small, keeping it simple..(?)
250 gallon stock tank, "pond"
20 gallon H CBS Shrimp tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yea I've seen that a lot 😂😂 maybe I'm over thinking it? I wanted to try Monte Carlo or something that would carpet the bottom, so was concerned on the amount of light hitting the bottom of tank. Any other carpeting suggestions?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 04:40 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrampsGrunge View Post
fishRfriends is using a $6 USB reading light over his gallon tank, ( correction: has added an additional one for more light..)
Correction: $3.10 light. Recorrection: I have two of them now, so yes... about $6.00

Huh, price has gone up. My amazon history shows it was $3.10 & Free Shipping.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Now $3.36 & Free shipping, damn inflation!

BUT, my plants are at about 2-3 inches away from the light because they're floating. So take my setup with a grain of salt. You gotta do what works for you, and you're prolly gonna have to figure it out yourself tho we can point out some paths that might get you where you wanna go.

Here's some experiments in DIY I do.

2.4W LED Works out to about $3.60 each but I think they get better penetration

My Spec V light
Two 2.8W LEDs $4.40 each
One of the 2.4W from above.

I used computer fan power cables to mount the G4 bulbs LOL.

Don't ask for advice. Ask for information, gather lots of information from different reliable sources. Then use the information to make your own advice.

Last edited by FishRFriendz; 03-16-2017 at 05:40 AM. Reason: Links
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 11:46 AM
Wannabe Guru

damn 40 tanks maintenance all day?

My Tanks

|

Subscribe to my

Follow me on

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yea maybe more, I work with aquatics all day, so kinda got burnt out for awhile!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel95 View Post
damn 40 tanks maintenance all day?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode