Leaving My Tank For A Week - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Leaving My Tank For A Week

Hey guys, I'm just curious how you guys prepare your tanks for a week away from home? its spring break here and no one will be at my house so i probably will not be running CO2 and can't get anyone to do a water change just 6(?) hours of light a day and hope for the best? I also have 6-7 shrimp and was thinking of dropping a few extra pellets in before i leave. Let me know your thoughts! Also the floaters are repent that were pulled out by my snail and I'm not sure if i want to put them back in yet.

Parameters:
Date 1/29, 1/31, 2/1 2/2 2/19 2/28 3/9
GH - 180, 180, 180, 180 300 300 250
KH - 80, 120, 180, 120 60 80 80
PH - 7, 6, 7, 7 7 6.6 7.2
NO2 - 0, .5, .5, .3 0 0 0
NO3 - 20, 40, 80, 80 20 20 20
NH4/NH4 0 0
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3596.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	730834  

3.7 Imagitarium Planted
10 Gal Low Tech
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 04:03 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsonic View Post
Hey guys, I'm just curious how you guys prepare your tanks for a week away from home? its spring break here and no one will be at my house so i probably will not be running CO2 and can't get anyone to do a water change just 6(?) hours of light a day and hope for the best? I also have 6-7 shrimp and was thinking of dropping a few extra pellets in before i leave. Let me know your thoughts! Also the floaters are repent that were pulled out by my snail and I'm not sure if i want to put them back in yet.

Parameters:
Date 1/29, 1/31, 2/1 2/2 2/19 2/28 3/9
GH - 180, 180, 180, 180 300 300 250
KH - 80, 120, 180, 120 60 80 80
PH - 7, 6, 7, 7 7 6.6 7.2
NO2 - 0, .5, .5, .3 0 0 0
NO3 - 20, 40, 80, 80 20 20 20
NH4/NH4 0 0

Don't worry about it. I left my tank alone for a month while I was out of the country. I do a 20% water change every 2 months anyways and have never tested my water parameters. You can lower your light cycle to fewer hours to lower your throttle. I never feed my shrimps. I don't know what they eat in my tank, but they been alive for many months without maintenance. I barely touch my tank in a week, so you are good to go. have fun and enjoy without the background worry in your conscience.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntotheWRX View Post
Don't worry about it. I left my tank alone for a month while I was out of the country. I do a 20% water change every 2 months anyways and have never tested my water parameters. You can lower your light cycle to fewer hours to lower your throttle. I never feed my shrimps. I don't know what they eat in my tank, but they been alive for many months without maintenance. I barely touch my tank in a week, so you are good to go. have fun and enjoy without the background worry in your conscience.
Awesome Thanks for the advice. The tank seems stable i was more worried about the shrimp but i guess they will have algae to eat on. I just did a water change and cleanup as well and took some pictures to see what changes while its on its own

3.7 Imagitarium Planted
10 Gal Low Tech

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 04:34 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsonic View Post
Awesome Thanks for the advice. The tank seems stable i was more worried about the shrimp but i guess they will have algae to eat on. I just did a water change and cleanup as well and took some pictures to see what changes while its on its own
I threw some cherry red shrimps into a jar and did not touch it for a long long time. no water change, no food. almost like a prison. It took maybe 2-3 months until I saw the half melted dead shrimp carcass floating. call me a mad scientist to test the limitations of these shrimps, but from my exploration, you can know your shrimps will be fine.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 04:48 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
..on the other hand,I try to do a water change before I leave,and as soon as I get back,so the schedule is only off a few days.OFC that's with fish.I don't have any shrimp,but I know fish are fine with no food for a week or so,and they produce far less waste that way as well,further minimizing the need for a water change.

not sure how much this applies to shrimp,but I'd think it wouldn't be too far off.

beautiful tank btw.

MTS? no,I just need one more tank...
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 05:05 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
It would be more of, but still not really a problem if you had fish, but with shrimp, they'll be content to graze on biofilm, algae, etc. for an extended period. You don't even need to toss in extra pellets, I might actually suggest not to because it could pollute the water. I think I'd just leave them with however much you usually feed.

Tags
3.7 gal, leaving, planted nano, shrimp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode