Newbie Needing Help! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Newbie Needing Help!

Hi! I have a Fluval Chi 5 gallon tank with the filter and LEDs that came with it. I also have a Tera heater that is for 5-15 gallon tanks. I am wanting to focus on moss and ferns to do a low tech tank. But I have no idea what I else I need. Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 12:52 PM
Planted Member

You'll want to decide on a substrate! You can go with something designed for planted tanks. I would recommend though that you pick something that you like the look of, because you can always fertilize with liquid ferts and root tabs if needed.

Pick one or two plants to start with and see how they do in your tank - add from there.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

Do you recommend any kind of liquid ferts and root tabs?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 01:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

osmo. root tabs are nice.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 02:11 PM
Planted Member

If you're not doing rooted plants - you may not need to worry about the tabs. For the best advice, I would decide on which plants you want to keep and then post in the Fertilizer/Water Prams forum and ask for advice on how to dose your specific tank. It all depends on if you want to do low/medium/high tech. Make sure to include all the info about your tank: size, lighting, substrate, water parameters (pH, GH, KH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate.)

Also decide if you are going to keep fish or not - as some may or may not eat certain plants.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 03:16 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkbait97 View Post
I am wanting to focus on moss and ferns to do a low tech tank.
Java moss is easy as far as nutrients, just blast em with a lot of light and keep the water well aerated with sufficient flow to keep stuff from settling too much on moss. And i really mean blast em with light, they can take 24hr high lighting as long as you have moving aerated water.

I don't have a Chi, but photos vary from showing it having decent lighting to photos where the lighting is terrible and doesn't have good coverage. I'd prepare for the worst as stock lighting is rarely ever sufficient.

Java fern will be fine in any case.

Beyond java fern, plants can grow without additional nutrient supplementation, but no amount of nutrient supplementation will grow plants without light, unless you're growing mushrooms. The budget really needs to skew towards lighting more than substrate/fertilizer (Especially given your selection of plants).

Don't ask for advice. Ask for information, gather lots of information from different reliable sources. Then use the information to make your own advice.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode