5.5 gallon planted betta tank! - The Planted Tank Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
5.5 gallon planted betta tank!

Finally starting over the tank, I had to wait until ammonia stopped leaching into the water from the substrate.

Currently the plan is housing my male betta in the tank, the filter is cycled, it's a diy sponge filter that I'm planning on switching out for an Aquaclear or a small less obtrusive, more efficient sponge filter.

Later on I might move my betta to another tank and use this tank for a school of chili rasboras (do you think that could work?)

The water is super cloudy, getting better though and I added an Aquaclear 30 I stuffed with fiber fill in an attempt to clear the water faster. I had to make a little water bottle baffle.

I now need to get low-medium light plants for the tank. Any suggestions ? Preferably something I could find at a LFS or pet store such as petco and petsmart.

The substrate is seachem flourite black as well as mr aqua shrimp soil, the flourite I added yesterday to cover up the rest of the tank (which was a lot)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 10:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

chilis could work, yes
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 10:24 PM
Planted Member

What light is that? PetSmart sometimes has some pretty nice TC plants in bags, some of those are good low-medium plants, they do also have some high-light plants also. One of the Petco's near me had TC cups last time I was in, so you could check either of those stores, it's normally hit or miss as to what they have, you got to go right after they get the shipment, which I never know when it is. How about some Anubias or crypts? Maybe an anubias nana. I'm always on the look for some easy to grow groundcover plants...

-DAN

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

It's a 6500k beamswork LED, I'm not super sure what it's capable of growing but I'm fairly sure it should put me in low-medium range. I'll just have to test it out with different plants. I might get crypts but they would have to be a smaller variety. I love how anubias nana petite looks so I might use that.

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The tank finally cleared up, I should be able to remove the AC tonight.

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 07:07 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Looks like a start to an iwagumi scape. Nice rock, like the striations going up to the left. What are you gonna use for foreground?

Don't ask for advice. Ask for information, gather lots of information from different reliable sources. Then use the information to make your own advice.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

5.5 gallon planted betta tank!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishRFriendz View Post
Looks like a start to an iwagumi scape. Nice rock, like the striations going up to the left. What are you gonna use for foreground?

I think I want to use AR mini in the front surrounding the rock but other than that I'm not sure. I'm open to all low-medium light plant suggestions.

Completely cleared, will be removing the AC.

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 12:36 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

UPDATE: 6 DAYS INTO TANK
So I went to petsmart to pick up some plants,
There were so many plants in the tissue culture pack that I had a good amount extra.
The tank is kind of a mess right now but I just want to let the plants grow out a little bit.
The betta seems to be enjoying his new plants, I'm also going to have to buy some floating water lettuce for shade and cover for the betta.

I've always wanted a rosette sword because I like the look of amazon swords so I'm loving that. I may add a few shrimp into this tank soon!

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 12:40 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Side note:
I'm planning a complete redesign for a 7.5 gallon cube that has another betta in it. 2 questions:
Should I post progress here? Eco Complete or Fluval Stratum?

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 07:09 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinmo View Post
Side note:
I'm planning a complete redesign for a 7.5 gallon cube that has another betta in it. 2 questions:
Should I post progress here? Eco Complete or Fluval Stratum?

Post another thread, easier to find later

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

Don't ask for advice. Ask for information, gather lots of information from different reliable sources. Then use the information to make your own advice.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

UPDATE. DAY 7
I got more supplies but it's just in general,
I'll probably be switching out my current heater for a 50w as right now it's not super reliable heating up such a large amount of water.
Tank seems a bit cloudy, might be because I cleaned the filter a little bit. There's a little root growth on the AR, and a few tiny leaves on the sword. There's algae growth on the left side of the tank :/

BettaBettas and BettaBettas like this.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 09:48 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

How are you anchoring the anubias nana? It kinda looks like it might be buried there in the foreground. Did it come with much root structure? Seems there was a nice amount of them in the bag. TC plants I've gotten didn't have much for roots.

Still planning on Chili Rasboras? They're good for 68F-82F. You shouldn't have to raise the temp much from ambient room temps anyways. In my house I like it to be around 70F room temp anyways. My retired in-laws staying with us all day essentially means the house is always appropriate temp.

Tho it is good to have a heater that can bring the temps up if you need to treat ich. I made the mistake of giving my neighbor a preset heater... she went and bought fish that had ich! I swapped out the preset heater I gave her with my water change heater so she could beat the disease.

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 10:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

man I wish my Petco sold plants in vitro, only petsmart does that though I believe.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishRFriendz View Post
How are you anchoring the anubias nana? It kinda looks like it might be buried there in the foreground. Did it come with much root structure? Seems there was a nice amount of them in the bag. TC plants I've gotten didn't have much for roots.

Still planning on Chili Rasboras? They're good for 68F-82F. You shouldn't have to raise the temp much from ambient room temps anyways. In my house I like it to be around 70F room temp anyways. My retired in-laws staying with us all day essentially means the house is always appropriate temp.

Tho it is good to have a heater that can bring the temps up if you need to treat ich. I made the mistake of giving my neighbor a preset heater... she went and bought fish that had ich! I swapped out the preset heater I gave her with my water change heater so she could beat the disease.

I made sure to just lightly plant the Anubias, the rhizomes are out of the substrate It came with a little bit of root structure. I'm still not sure if I'm getting chili rasboras but while another tank is getting ready I'll have to put that off for a while. I ordered eco complete, should be here by tomorrow and also BettaBettas, my petco also sells some TC plants and the tube plants. The TC is like crypts, bucephalandra, hair grass. They don't always look super great though and petsmart has more quantity and variety.

post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 10:19 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinmo View Post
my petco also sells some TC plants and the tube plants. The TC is like crypts, bucephalandra, hair grass. They don't always look super great though and petsmart has more quantity and variety.
Petco can place orders for pretty much anything on their affiliated site Aquarium Fish: Tropical Freshwater Fish and Saltwater Fish for Home Aquariums but charge you the super cheap in-store price.

It's too bad your Petco isn't so good. The one near me has some pretty awesome and knowledgeable aquarium staff. One guy I talked to was really into plants and keeps their store stocked with a good variety. And other day I saw a lady refuse to sell a customer a feeder gold fish cuz her tank was too small, and she wasn't using it as food. Same girl was also trying to get a customer to buy plants to deal with nitrates cuz the customer said she changed the water like once a month.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode