5.5 gallon planted betta tank! - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 01:05 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Ok so I made a new thread about my 7.5 gallon cube but immediately regretted it and hopefully it gets lost in the forums I'll be following up here instead. So basically first I set up my cube tank and that took hours. and realized the next day I didn't like how it looked I decided to try a different tank with that similar aquascape. So I took out my standard 10 gallon which I didn't know how I wanted to scape beforehand (the reason why it was left empty for a couple months) The product of that was

I like it a bit more because it has more space for new plants I've been wanting to try whereas the other tank had no space. Now I need to buy a light and I'm looking into the Current USA Satellite (the smaller one) but won't be getting that for a while so the old light will hopefully be fine for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 01:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

In other notes it's
WEEK 2/DAY 14
The tank is doing great, lots of root growth, what bugs me is the algae growth.. One side of the tank has a row of 2 white leds without any blue leds in between which is throwing off the balance and makes one side of the tank "warmer" in color than the other. It's not super noticeable but it causes lots of algae growth on one side and it seems like slower growth on that side as well. Well at least the plants are all growing well.

Hephaestus and Hephaestus like this.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 01:48 AM
Algae Grower

Is that cube the Deep Blue 7.5gal (12x12x12)? I just set one of those up this weekend, doing a dry start method. I'll probably start a journal for it soon. They're nice tanks and pretty cheap for rimless.

I like the scape in either the 7.5gal or the 10gal. It is nice that there's a little more room for planting in the 10gal. You could do a carpet plant in the front that goes around that open end on the right. I think that would like nice. Monte carlo might work well.

Fluval Spec 5gal: Betta tank(A. nana, M. pteropus, C. Wendtii(?), E. argentinensis)
7.5gal rimless cube - S. repens, L. brasiliensis, A. reineckii "mini", R. wallichii - dry started 3/11, flooded 3/25 - will eventually become a shrimp tank (probably CRS or RCS)
10gal - S. repens, L. brasiliensis, A. reineckii "mini", R. wallichii (left over from 7.5gal dry start), C. wendtii, E. argentinensis

post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

5.5 gallon planted betta tank!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
Is that cube the Deep Blue 7.5gal (12x12x12)? I just set one of those up this weekend, doing a dry start method. I'll probably start a journal for it soon. They're nice tanks and pretty cheap for rimless.

I like the scape in either the 7.5gal or the 10gal. It is nice that there's a little more room for planting in the 10gal. You could do a carpet plant in the front that goes around that open end on the right. I think that would like nice. Monte carlo might work well.

Yeah it is, it's pretty affordable but I had to pay a lot for shipping. Thanks! That would look nice, a carpet plant, I'm looking into getting lots of java fern for the right side and ludwigia repens. You should for sure start a journal by the way!

post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 10:21 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinmo View Post
Yeah it is, it's pretty affordable but I had to pay a lot for shipping.
Huh, amazon only has the Deep Blue 8" cube and some 20"+ cubes. The photos of the 8" are bad(they should update the photo), and every time I see a standard cube (especially the poor pics of the 8" on amazon) I feel like going to Home Depot, picking up five 11x14 glass panels($3.50ea), and a glass cutter($3) and DIY either an 11" cube or 14x11x11 for $20 (already have silicone and gun).

So I end up looking at special features like either curved corner glass (pen plax radius 5/7/10gal), or 45 degree mitered corners with low iron glass(ultum 25C). /sigh I'll prolly end up with a $1/g sale 5 or 10 lol

Don't ask for advice. Ask for information, gather lots of information from different reliable sources. Then use the information to make your own advice.
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Update: DAY 19

There is sooo much green hair algae anyone know how to reduce this? It's over the rock and plants on the left side, it's getting really annoying, I'm planning on doing a clean up of the tank soon and spraying it down with a diluted hydrogen peroxide solution. On the other hand, everything is growing super well, again still less growth on the left side but not terrible. The AR seems super happy and the rosette sword is shooting out new leaves every day, though it has a tiny bit of algae on it.

10 gallon update:

This tank looks terrible I might also do the hydrogen peroxide water spray but does anyone know how to get rid of brown (?) algae? All the leaves of my plants are covered in a brown algae and I'm not sure how to fix it.

post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

1 MONTH+ 2 DAYS: DAY 33
it's been a while since I last updated, sadly my betta, Gould died I've also let this tank go for a while and it was a mess. There was algae everywhere, diatoms, green spot algae, fuzz algae, green hair algae. It was choking my tank.

Does anyone know what the algae that forms like a floating mat in the water is called? I'm thinking it's hair algae. All my plants were covered. I also introduced water lettuce a week ago and it's thriving here. I have it in another tank as well but it loves this tank, my duckweed not so much

Someone please recommend how I should lower the fuzz algae and hair algae in my tank!

I did a restart of this whole tank today. I drained the water and added some more substrate, I scrubbed the walls with a sponge and sprayed everything down with a hydrogen peroxide mixture. I did the same to my rock and scrubbed the algae off as well. I moved the positioning of the rock. I added some bacopa and threw out the ones covered with algae.

This is the tank now!

It's ready for another betta! Of course, once I'm ready.

The 10 gallon looks so terrible and the plants are all dying that I don't want to show pics until I get that under control.

post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

This is a picture with the floating plants

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode