Tetra 1.5g LED Aquarium Kit...Ideas? - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes
  • 4 Post By BettaBettas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Tetra 1.5g LED Aquarium Kit...Ideas?

I'm setting up a reef tank and impulse purchased this little kit to fiddle with in the meantime. It will likely be a Beta tank. I'd like to put some moss, anubias, possibly small crypts in there, but I doubt the light it came with will work. Recommendations for a clip on light that will grow low light plants?

I feel like a dummy now because I didn't know about the Fluval Spec tank, and it's only $20 more than what I just paid for this piece of crap! And I accidentally threw my receipt away.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 03:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

1.5G tanks are not suitable for fish, but are more geared towards shrimp. A betta specifically for example; needs to have at least a 5 gallon tank.
klibs, klibs, Econde and 1 others like this.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 12:28 AM Thread Starter

Ok. Thanks. That was another thought I had, too. I've kept RCS before. Thoughts on lighting?

Former user name "forddna"

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 05:43 PM
Algae Grower

I bought a 3 gal (same brand and look) for our youngest daughter like 3 years ago. NEVER set it up. Am planning on doing so in the next month with some RCS. I basically threw EVERYTHING out that came with the tank and got a corner sponge filter and Whisper pump. Bought a thermometer and underwater heater. For lighting, I was thinking of going a bit unconventional after reading a "lighting" thread here. I'm picking up a 10w Daylight LED floodlight to mount to the wall above the tank (from Amazon). Maybe that's an idea for you??? They are pretty cheap and about 6500 Lumins...

DJ SureShot
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 02:26 AM
Algae Grower

You could have a few shrimp, it would still look pretty cool. One option is a finnex StingRay LED light clip.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 03:29 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
You can always exchange it for something else without the receipt!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 03:48 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda Howe View Post
Tetra 1.5g LED Aquarium Kit...Ideas?
Oh man, you gonna drill some holes for overflow and return, then DIY some 5050 full spectrum RGB lights on a programmable ramping controller. And you gotta go aqua soil amazonia, power sand, bacter 100, taurmailine bc, clear super, penac p, penac w. And a big CO2 tank, none of that ghetto paintball tank nonsense. Scape it out with a fat chunk of seiryu stone and spider wood. Then you'll be all set to grow some awesome java moss!

Well, It's 1.5g... there aren't many ideas for something like this, as far as fauna anyways.

Oh wait, here's an idea on a less beaten path... you could use it to raise up food for fish. Live worm or daphnia storage/grow out. At that size and plastic, it would be easy to break down and set back up.

Don't ask for advice. Ask for information, gather lots of information from different reliable sources. Then use the information to make your own advice.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode