Long & low...would it work? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 12:40 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Long & low...would it work?

Just scored a home made 9g aquarium w/base and looking for suggestions for what to do with it...the dimensions are 37.5" L x 8" W x 7" H
Blue background/mirrored background option.

Tank is rimless and open...with the odd length my first question would be lighting it. Thought LED since it's not very high but not sure if there is anything that would span the length of it. Ignore the filter (it and flat heater were with it)

Wondered if a planted Nano would be something that would work. Tons of other questions but first things first, LOL

Thanks for any thoughts, ideas, suggestions.
Attached Images

80g Angelfish tank
29g Angelfish/Albino BN pleco tank
9g Long & Low planted nano tank w/Celestial pearl danios

6.6g Petco Bookshelf tank housing all colors of Mystery snails

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 12:49 AM
Algae Grower

Did you buy this in Tucson?

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 12:54 AM
Algae Grower

On another note... js a freshwater "eel" tank would probably be a cool idea because of the long floor space to roam, you could probably house 2 peacock eels and a bunch of ghost shrimp running around for them to munch on

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 01:18 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by maustin2346 View Post
On another note... js a freshwater "eel" tank would probably be a cool idea because of the long floor space to roam, you could probably house 2 peacock eels and a bunch of ghost shrimp running around for them to munch on

Try to find an led with telescopic legs to mount with. As for livestock Celestial Pearl danios naturally live in shallow water. Most people agree that kuhli loaches need a larger tank, but the reasoning is they need more room to move. In a tank that long they might be okay. Betta fish on another good option as a live in shallow water generally. I think the eel tank idea is a good call as well for the same reasons. I would suggest cherry red shrimp instead though, since they breed readily and if you stock the tank with shrimp and let them breed first, the eels probably won't eat enough of the shrimp to kill them all off.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 01:20 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Local here in town yes.

For livestock thought about Kilifish (will need to lid it) or a small shoal of Celestial Pearl Danios....sort of a spur of the moment kinda acquisition.

I have a bunch of other Nano sized normal tanks (none set up) but saw the long & low and thought i could put it to good use.
BettaBettas and BettaBettas like this.

80g Angelfish tank

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 01:33 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
If it were mine?
I would insist on a wooden canopy/frame as I hate losing jumpers and almost any fish will jump in the low tank. The cover also turns you loose on lighting as it is hidden in the canopy. I favor several small lights to highlight the spots I want plants and vary the lighting as it needs as it evolves. I find a wide range of fish might work in the long shallow tank as very few really need too much depth, they just adapt to what they find as long as they don't wind up on the floor!
But then that is the fun of getting a new tank. It is your own little kingdom so rule it as you see fit!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 01:35 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Not at all familiar with eels in general-will research next. Currently do have a male Betta but no plans to re house him. Cherry Red shrimp are a possibility, I did see a local breeder on CL. I am more into fish though and wanted to take advantage of the tanks length.

Thought about the Aqueon LED but not sure the 36" will span the tank. Just started to research lighting options, not sure what else is out there.

Thinking about painting the base black and using the mirrored side....not sure where tank will reside as need to wait till my quarantine tanks are moved off my 55g stand (space is at a premium here). Definitely going to take my time with this project if it ends up being a planted tank.

80g Angelfish tank

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 01:49 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hey PlantedRich...am not much of a DIY'er at all....the tank is sitting on the brown (for now) base it came with ...it's about 8 or so inches high in the back.
Were you thinking like submersible type LED lighting?
I am concerned about jumpers (for sure if Killies go in ...there will be something over the top to keep them in the tank)
LOL, yes, my own lil kingdom....so many possibilities, I love starting with a clean slate and exploring all the options.

Inhabitants
Plants
Substrate
Hardscape
Lighting

80g Angelfish tank

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 01:50 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by airangel View Post
Local here in town yes.

For livestock thought about Kilifish (will need to lid it) or a small shoal of Celestial Pearl Danios....sort of a spur of the moment kinda acquisition.

I have a bunch of other Nano sized normal tanks (none set up) but saw the long & low and thought i could put it to good use.
definitely agree would your stocking ideas here... Are you looking to aquascape it? also all sorts of LED lights (say from amazon) come in a long length, how long specifically is the tank?
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 02:00 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Tank is 37.5" long or close to that (37 and then some)

I've got driftwood, have to dig thru my bins to see if I've got any rockwork.

Thought about seeding it with some Glossostigma elatinoides or some grass like plants. Have the Anubias already from a dismantled tank so thought to use them as well.

I've got an Otoclinus and a few different colored Mystery snails (small at present) and some Nerite snails (along with those in Q tanks are BN plecos & Albino corys...who will reside in the 80g I've got)

80g Angelfish tank

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 02:52 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

On another note...question came up elsewhere and I'm wondering if I should try to do it....a crossbar out of glass bracing the front/back midway across the length
(am so not into DIY projects...you should see my pile of Metaframe tanks)

80g Angelfish tank

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 03:28 AM
Algae Grower

You should definitely throw some driftwood in there. I've always liked the driftwood aquascapes that have driftwood sticking out the top with terrestrial plants attached. It just looks soo good with rimless tanks. There are some good examples on this site under photos. https://www.facebook.com/AquascapeIdeas/ I've got so many small pieces of driftwood that I cant use that would be perfect for a shallow tank like that!! But if you do use driftwood, make sure that it doesn't have any sharp edges that will snag on you fish's scales.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 03:32 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the link, will check it out tomorrow. Yes to driftwood, have a lot of small well worn pieces and about 10 with Anubias/Java Ferns on them right now. Also have a few "centerpiece" types.....definitely in the plan.

80g Angelfish tank

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 11:30 AM
Algae Grower

Yes I've always loved the way driftwood looks in a tank. I can't stay away from putting christmas tree moss all over the driftwood. I love the way it looks!
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Trinity Ghost...just got a chance to check out that link, to die for....no way could I ever create anything a fraction as nice as of those aquascapes, LOL

My driftwood, at least the pieces I've dug out of my boxes are more on the low chunky side...as Ive tied my plants to them but that page gives me a world of ideas to think about. Have to check out Christmas moss.

Right now debating substrate...sand? dirt? black gravel?

Of course not able to do much of anything with the tank as I need to move 2 tanks from where they are running to use the 55g stand ....only spot I can house the Long & Low. So just ended up setting up a 29g in my office (tank has been there, just dry) and eventually the 2 Q tanks will be dismantled and contents moved to the 29g (5 nerites, 13 Mysteries, 5 albino corys, 11 albino BN plecos & 1 brown one & the oto). Eventually some of the cleaning crew will reside in the 80g.

The nice thing about having lack of space is the extra time to really think things out before spending a cent. I do want to get the substrate next.

80g Angelfish tank

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode