I have read a lot of different information on these forums but I can not see to win at this planted tank thing. My growth is all stunted and getting worse and my algae problem is getting worse and worse.
- The Fluval Spec V 5g
- Finnex Fugeray planted + 16" running 2, 4 hr shifts (11.9 Watts)
- CaribeSea Flora Max Gravel
- Fauna: 7 green neons, 2 amano shrimp
- Flora: Ludwigia, Dwarf Hairgrass, Amazon Sword (I think), Rotala
- CO2: Flourish Excel, I typically dose .5mL once daily but I have recently gone to 1 mL to try something different and it doesn't seem to be helping.
- I mostly follow the EI method of ferts using GLA, 1/16 or 1/32 tsp KNO3 and 1/64 tsp KH2PO4 each 1-2x weekly with .5 mL Seachem Flourish 1-2x weekly.
- I do a 40-50% water change once weekly with tap water treating incoming water with Seachem Prime and Stability
Algae I recognize in the tank using: James' Planted Tank - Algae Guide
- BGA (got rid of a lot of it with a blackout but its coming back)
- Spirogyra ? (some sort of long green hair algae)
I thought I was really lining myself up for success but it seems like the more things I try the worse it gets. Is my setup bound to fail? I will include a picture of soon after I planted the tank (looks nice and green with lots of growth) vs now (have had to cut back more and more of dying growth and lots of algae. Keep in mind I try to thoroughly clean all algae each week during the cleaning so most of this has just formed).
I am open to any ideas or thoughts. Thanks for the help!