Fishless counter to nematodes, seed shrimp, copepods? Bladderwort? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By BigMek

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 06:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Fishless counter to nematodes, seed shrimp, copepods? Bladderwort?

My 5 gallon tank has nematodes, seed shrimp, and copepods, and I'd like to know if they'll get out of hand, with me just having cherry shrimp and otos.

I don't really have the room in my tank for more fish--would bladderwort keep them in check? Something like Utricularia graminifolia? I've been reading up on the plant, and though it's not for certain, it seems in most cases their traps are too small to suck in shrimp fry, though I hear UG doesn't like heat. I also know to avoid U. gibba, U. inflata, and U. olivacea, since they're pretty invasive.

Ideas, opinions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 09:19 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
All of those are opportunistic detritovores. They bloom when there's an excess of stuff for them to eat, such as mulm or uneaten food. Easiest way to control them is to feed less, and honestly if you've got a good amount of biofilm you shouldn't have to be feeding shrimps that much anyway. If they don't bother you there's not any particular reason to get rid of them since they'll help break down waste in your tank, but if you don't like the look of them they aren't toxic or anything so you could net them out and feed them to your other fish.

Personally, I have daphnia and copepods in my shrimp tank and don't mind them at all. When they get out of hand I feed them to my mollies, but most of the time I just leave them be. Makes a convenient backup in case my primary daphnia culture crashes.
GrampsGrunge and GrampsGrunge like this.

Tags
bladderwort, copepods, nematodes, seed shrimp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode