Whats spiking my pH? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Whats spiking my pH?

So, I set this new 2.5 tank up on Sunday and put the betta in (he is moving to a 5g when he gets bigger) on Tuesday, taking about 2 hours for acclimation. The first day was not good. I made some rookie mistakes, like not shutting off the lights for 24 hours.

Now, I tested the water when I put him in, and tested the tap water before I added that to the tank. I'm on a well near a limestone bed, so my well water is actually PERFECT for most fish.

Today he just wasn't acting right, so I tested the water and the PH was somewhere around 9. I immediately tested my tap water, and it was fine.

I went and bought some RO water at the local shop and did a 50% water change at 7PM, and added 4 drops of stress coat just for good measure. I plan on doing another change at 8:30PM.

He's already acting normal again. He's playing in the airstone right now and playing in the hornwart (which he loves to do - he likes to swim into the current and let it push him into the hornwart where he just lays for a moment before doing it again)

What I'm trying to figure out is how it spiked in the first place. Here's an enumerated list of everything in the tank:

2-2.5 inches of red flint sand

.5-1 inch of Pure Water Pebbles black freshwater substrate (which looks great over the flint)

3 small chunks of dragon stone (AKA Ohko Stone) added this morning, with some java moss anchored to it

2 bunches of hornwart

White airstone with a silicone tube

And currently that's it. I'm going to add the heater again if the temperature dips below 74, but I turned the furnace in my house up by 3 degrees and that seems to be doing the trick.

Any ideas what caused the spike?

=LIC= (Large Inverts Club)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode