• 2 Post By GrampsGrunge
  • 2 Post By GrampsGrunge
  • 2 Post By GrampsGrunge

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 04:50 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
My 2.5 gallon tank started leaking.

Of all the tanks I have, the nicest looking one with my Crystal Black Shrimp.

I came home to a slowly spreading puddle of water on the living room floor. It's a little standard 2.5 glass and silicone tank, I never had a tiny one leak before.

Luckily I've got a 1.3 gallon Nonny's Biscotti container that I use for fish transfer and rinsing filter media. In a couple hours of moving and switching substrate, and not all of the plants would fit of course , but the shrimp seem OK with the new tank. It's easier to see them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00056.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	717354  

Name:	DSC00058.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	717362  

Starting small, keeping it simple..(?)
250 gallon stock tank, "pond"
20 gallon H CBS Shrimp tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by GrampsGrunge; 02-01-2017 at 04:50 AM. Reason: ..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 04:55 AM
Planted Member

Sounds like you need some aquarium safe caulk! Make sure you caulk on the INSIDE and let it dry completely before adding water.

I would see if you can locate the source of the leak and try to repair it without removing ALL the decor.

=LIC= (Large Inverts Club)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 05:12 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyW8822 View Post
Sounds like you need some aquarium safe caulk! Make sure you caulk on the INSIDE and let it dry completely before adding water.

I would see if you can locate the source of the leak and try to repair it without removing ALL the decor.
The leak is definitely from one of the base edge seams, and it was leaking at a good rate. The switch over is already done, and the 2.5 had to be emptied, I had no choice in this. It will be resurrected as a rimless soon enough.

I've built a 22 gallon cube tank many years back from 1/4" plate glass, so I have a bit of experience building tanks. I'm just glad the shrimp weren't overly bothered by the change to new digs. I gave them a 2"x2" patch of diatom and green algae off of the outdoor tank. They're busy picking away at it, like they like.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 02:16 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Update: One of the 1.3gallon Nonny's Biscotti containers to the rescue!

Funny how quickly you can get a tank broken down when it's leaking. It's not quite the footprint of the 2.5 gallon but with the slight upward and out taper it's actually a bit roomy up top The Crystal Shrimp transferred like champs and they're eating and enjoying their new digs.

Just to give you an idea what my satellite tank is. It is fed from the 'vent' hole in the AQ20's impeller, a piece of silicone airline tubing does the feeding and the Tupperware tub overflows back into the 'tank' with a filter sponge covered 3/8th's dia, vinyl tube. 2.6 gallons altogether.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00067.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	719786  

FishRFriendz and FishRFriendz like this.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

And I have berried shrimp.. There's now two female carrying eggs

The rest of the shrimp in the upper tub are growing larger and I expect if this continues there will be little ones galore.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00076.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	730178  

Name:	DSC00069.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	730186  

BettaBettas and BettaBettas like this.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 12:23 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

And we have babies! The little sphere thingy to the baby shrimp's lower left is an Ostracod. And it's tiny, maybe less than 0.5 mm?

I found about 6 more youngsters later today, funny how you see their colors suddenly, how it stands out when you know what to look for.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00082.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	732618  

doug105! and doug105! like this.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 01:09 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Another photo. I'm not going to apologize for the algae and biofilm in this tank. It's feeding the adults and babies just fine. It looks like I underestimated their numbers, I have about 8 that I can see, and I think they're past their first molt too. There is 5 youngsters previously rehomed with 4 adults, to their newish 5 gallon tank.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00062.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	735978  

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 11:35 AM
Wannabe Guru

Damn man good luck fixing it

My Tanks

|

Subscribe to my

Follow me on

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode