Tiny Unobtrusive Filter? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By PlantedRich

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Tiny Unobtrusive Filter?

So, my 2.5 gallon betta tank is a desk/night stand ornament. I have all the chords pretty well hidden - or at least as much as I could without modifying the furniture (like my next project: 15g dwarf puffers will require). However, I need a filter. A tiny, unobtrusive filter, that won't require modifying the furniture.

I was thinking of using gorilla tape to fix a small water pump to the back of my night stand, and using silicone tubing to stick a weighted foam filter head (about 1 cubic inch) in the bottom of the tank, with the outflow just running into the top of the tank at the water's edge.

OR, my other idea - because I really hate tubing. Could I fix the end of the filter head to the end of a plastic drinking straw (or some other rigid tube - suggestions welcome), silicone caulk it in place, and run that to the bottom of the tank? That way I could just use one attach it to the side wall at one point, and not have to deal with suction cups coming off at the bottom of the tank, and being a major pain in the rear to reattach.

Before I go out and buy 10ft of tubing or gorilla tape something to my night stand, I'd love to hear some suggestions ahaha

=LIC= (Large Inverts Club)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 04:57 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I'm not really sure if this is what you mean but have you ever looked at the aqueon quietflow internal power filter I have one in my 10 gal and I've never had a problem with the suction cups or anything. If you have a black background you'll probably be barley able to see it mines just blocked by plants so it doesn't bother me.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 07:47 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
You can make a syringe into a sponge filter! Check out my 1.1 gallon vase thread in my signature.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

20g Long -Retired
10g Betta tank -Retired
1.1 Gallon Vase -Retired

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 05:06 PM
Wannabe Guru

2.5 gallon is going to be a challenge to hide any external filter system on. Why not just get one of those little HOB filters like the Azoo Palm 50?

Starting small, keeping it simple..(?)
250 gallon stock tank, "pond"
20 gallon H CBS Shrimp tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrampsGrunge View Post
2.5 gallon is going to be a challenge to hide any external filter system on. Why not just get one of those little HOB filters like the Azoo Palm 50?
I think I'm going to end up making one out of a mason jar and mounting it on the floor behind my night stand

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 04:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

At one point, I did an orb project where I hid all the equipment but due to photo storage switches and problems, all the pictures are gone from the old post.
The rob was a round plastic ball so it was easy to drill and improvise a couple barb fittings through the side and attach the little Zoomed 501 canister. The filter was then hidden in the back of the wooden support I built. With the temperature controller probe going in through a bottom hole and heating from outside and below the orb, there was no equipment showing in the tank.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 05:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
+1 to the tiny azoo HOB filters

those are awesome and dead silent. I used to run one on a ~3g nano and it was great

https://www.amazon.com/AZOO-AZ13097-...ds=azoo+filter

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 12:01 AM
Wannabe Guru

Are you good enough at making the small parts for this? My concern about a Mason Jar filter is the strong possibility it will leak and drain your tank out all over your floor. Also the steel cap and screw ring will eventually get rusty and not release easily. I tried making a canister filter out of a Rubbermaid 1.3 gallon food storage container, (cylindrical in shape.) using a micro-powerhead inside the container with some open cell foam for biomedia, from foam my old PC monitor was packed in.

Using Radio Shack pass-through vinyl grommets that fit tightly in the lid and tightly around 3/8ths" ID clear tubing. It was a nightmare of either losing it's prime while sucking air in and overflowing the 20L it served, or leaked randomly, draining the aquarium. I could only get it to work fairly reliably by keeping the filter's top edge level with the 20L's water level.

Not to put a damper on your project, but if you've not fabricated small filter projects before, there's a half dozen places this could go South.

Starting small, keeping it simple..(?)
250 gallon stock tank, "pond"
20 gallon H CBS Shrimp tank

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 02:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrampsGrunge View Post
Are you good enough at making the small parts for this? My concern about a Mason Jar filter is the strong possibility it will leak and drain your tank out all over your floor. Also the steel cap and screw ring will eventually get rusty and not release easily. I tried making a canister filter out of a Rubbermaid 1.3 gallon food storage container, (cylindrical in shape.) using a micro-powerhead inside the container with some open cell foam for biomedia, from foam my old PC monitor was packed in.

Using Radio Shack pass-through vinyl grommets that fit tightly in the lid and tightly around 3/8ths" ID clear tubing. It was a nightmare of either losing it's prime while sucking air in and overflowing the 20L it served, or leaked randomly, draining the aquarium. I could only get it to work fairly reliably by keeping the filter's top edge level with the 20L's water level.

Not to put a damper on your project, but if you've not fabricated small filter projects before, there's a half dozen places this could go South.
Actually, I have - and water specific systems! Growing up on a horse farm, I either repaired or rigged automatic water systems myself on several occasions.

I wasn't planning on using an actual mason jar - just some sort of water tight container of that size range.

EDT: I know, water systems for draft horses are far larger, but the basic concepts are the same. I've also worked on aircraft fuel tanks.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 02:37 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I don't see mention of it but have you looked at a DIY mattenfilter?
Basicly a sponge or foam wall to separate a pump from the rest of the tank so that it draws water in and spits it out on the other side of the filter.
When I found myself caught not ready for some tiny fry and not having a sponge, I put a tiny fountain type pump in a plastic cup and covered the cup with blue/white bonded filter media. It kept the fry out of the pump and shot the cleaned water out tubing above the media. DIY lets you decide how big and what shape to use.
Econde and Econde like this.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 03:59 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
As many of these as needed for media chained together with airline tubing.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002DH5Q2

And a dosing pump.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B001BOD9JI

Still looking around for a slightly higher gph pump, but it's pretty much a canister filter for a 1 gallon bowl LOL.

Not cheap, but puts the filter out of sight with just some small airline tubing running to the tank.

Don't ask for advice. Ask for information, gather lots of information from different reliable sources. Then use the information to make your own advice.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 05:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
really looking forward to seeing what you create here... micro-canisters are not a thing as far as i can tell (unfortunately) but i am sure lots of people would love that void to be filled in the industry... canister for <5g tank would be awesome, especially with in-line heater and all that crap.

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 07:43 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by klibs View Post
really looking forward to seeing what you create here... micro-canisters are not a thing as far as i can tell (unfortunately) but i am sure lots of people would love that void to be filled in the industry... canister for <5g tank would be awesome, especially with in-line heater and all that crap.
Its been awhile but i think the spraybar that came with my sunsun 603B would have fit on a 6" cube in its smallest setting.

Only a couple tanks.

20 Gal. Long Community
15 Gal. Dwarf Puffers & Amanos
2x 5 Gal. Current Solos (1 Shrimp & 1 Betta)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode