2.5 Gallon Betta Tank - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 09:49 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaBettas View Post
all that ammonia build up with only a once a week water change, and other fluctuations wouldn't be healthy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaBettas View Post
Agree with what @Nordic stated above. I never said it couldn't be cycled, a fish produces ammonia you know... no one said it couldn't be cycled
You didn't say it couldn't be cycled, but you mentioned ammonia build up, which implies that there is no cycle.
maxhrbal and maxhrbal like this.

Don't ask for advice. Ask for information, gather lots of information from different reliable sources. Then use the information to make your own advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 09:53 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
2.5 Gallon Betta Tank

Yea ^ you said that ammonia build up would be an issue, though you could just cycle the tank. I would probably agree if you said that 2.5 gallons isn't enough space for a betta but you didn't mention that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
maxhrbal and maxhrbal like this.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 09:49 PM
Planted Member

I would agree on the airstone... just go with a small sponge filter off of amazon. I use them for all my tanks (including a betta) and they work great! Their especially good for bettas, since they aren't powerful swimmers.

Here's one that I'd suggest... https://www.amazon.com/XINYOU-XY-283...=sponge+filter

That one might be too tall for a 2.5, but there are smaller models that would work for you!

post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 09:53 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbeard View Post
Here's one that I'd suggest... https://www.amazon.com/XINYOU-XY-283...=sponge+filter

That one might be too tall for a 2.5, but there are smaller models that would work for you!
And they all take AGES to deliver! I'm still waiting on 3 I ordered last month, should be hear end of this month or next month!

Don't ask for advice. Ask for information, gather lots of information from different reliable sources. Then use the information to make your own advice.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 09:54 PM
Algae Grower

I've always been confused on those, what do you do when they eventually get covered in muck? I would think swishing it around in old tank water would get rid of a substantial amount of bacteria?

post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 10:06 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinmo View Post
I've always been confused on those, what do you do when they eventually get covered in muck? I would think swishing it around in old tank water would get rid of a substantial amount of bacteria?
Probably no worse than the bacteria getting knocked off of fluidized bed filter media. The strong survive and the old and dead get knocked off and washed away.

post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinmo View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishRFriendz View Post
Probably no worse than the bacteria getting knocked off of fluidized bed filter media. The strong survive and the old and dead get knocked off and washed away.
When I ran a sponge filter in my 5g setup (that I no longer have) I would change it by putting a new sponge on, knocking/briefly rinsing all the bigger debris off, and paperclipping the old one to the side of the tank for a few hours next to the new one.

=LIC= (Large Inverts Club)
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 10:10 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishRFriendz View Post
And they all take AGES to deliver! I'm still waiting on 3 I ordered last month, should be hear end of this month or next month!
I made the mistake of ordering one without Prime shipping... still waiting for one I ordered a month ago. If you wait until one is available with Prime, they come a lot quicker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyW8822 View Post
When I ran a sponge filter in my 5g setup (that I no longer have) I would change it by putting a new sponge on, knocking/briefly rinsing all the bigger debris off, and paperclipping the old one to the side of the tank for a few hours next to the new one.
You can get the ones with 2 sponges attached, and then you can clean 1 at a time, then you're not risking your cycle! But your method sounds good too! I might steal that idea to clean one I've got running in a 10 gallon haha.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode