1g National Geographic Easy Clean - The Planted Tank Forum
 26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
1g National Geographic Easy Clean

Well since I posted my vase, I may as well post this as well... My first shrimp tank

As the title says, it's a National Geographic Easy Clean 1 gallon aquarium. The easy clean feature is pretty much the same as what you see in the 'No-Clean' aquariums, where you just add water and it collects excess water over a set level into a side container.

Java moss (floating)
Nano moss
Star moss
Red Cherry Shrimp
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NG1g_18.jpg
Views:	557
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	715850  

Name:	NG1g_17.jpg
Views:	549
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	715858  

Name:	NG1g_21.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	724642  

Last edited by FishRFriendz; 02-18-2018 at 03:59 AM. Reason: Photo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Reviews online said the 'easy clean' feature merely stirred up the detritus rather than flushing it out so I made an undergravel filter. A lot of people fault UGF for pulling detritus down and it getting stuck there, well this tank drains excess water from the bottom so...

Bump: The hood has what appears to have mounting locations for some kind of light, but for as long as this product has been out, there has been no sign of a light accessory to get for it! So... that had to be modded as well.

At a 2" distance from 28 LED usb reading light... the intensity is high enough for Java Moss to pearl.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	NG1g_01.jpg
Views:	492
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	715874  

Name:	NG1g_02.jpg
Views:	472
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	715882  

Name:	NG1g_03.jpg
Views:	462
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	715890  

Name:	NG1g_04.jpg
Views:	470
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	715898  

Name:	NG1g_05.jpg
Views:	477
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	715906  

Name:	NG1g_07.JPG
Views:	458
Size:	200.1 KB
ID:	715922  

Name:	NG1g_06.JPG
Views:	462
Size:	154.8 KB
ID:	715930  

Name:	NG1g_08.jpg
Views:	522
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	715938  

Name:	NG1g_15.JPG
Views:	504
Size:	203.5 KB
ID:	715954  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

|
|

post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 04:40 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
That's a neat under gravel filter. How many shrimp are you keeping in there?

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Econde View Post
That's a neat under gravel filter. How many shrimp are you keeping in there?
There are 9 RCS. And apparently a piece of water wisteria that I temporarily homed in this tank had bladder snail... unintentional infestation. I'm now planning a 2nd NatGeo 1g in order to have a clean tank to clean/move stuff one at a time from this tank in order to redo the tank without the snails. The new one will be quite different from this tho. I have some proper planting substrate and learning from a few things from this one I realize I can do high light ground cover and what not.

Oh yeah, and tho the Eheim Substrat Pro is cycled, I continually do a drip water change. Over a week it's usually 1/2 gallon water change, but lately I've been doing more than that to fix my TDS for the shrimp. Airline and water are in a cabinet above. I used to drop diluted ammonia water when I was cycling the tank.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	NG1g_10.jpg
Views:	446
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	716002  

Name:	NG1g_09.jpg
Views:	456
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	716010  

bbroush, bbroush, Sius and 1 others like this.

|
|
|

|
|

post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 04:50 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Very interesting.
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Nice growth.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	NG1g_20.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	718114  

|
|
|

|
|

post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 03:21 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Remove shrimp, insert dwarf puffer. 3 days and those snails will be GONE.

=LIC= (Large Inverts Club)
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Just under a month and some have finally matured. Good thing i started another tank a week ago, this ones gonna get crowded.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20170213_111332_1487007606849.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	721330  

Econde and Econde like this.
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 05:59 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
I have the same tank with shrimps......

I have eco-complete as gravel and some pool filter sand.

Using the side overflow container as my media and floss holder.

I dont have an pic to demonstrate something like this

http://imgur.com/a/qSVn8

Edit:
Forgot about this. My first youtube video when I did setup it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4O5XFR8JQgg
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I thought of doing something like that but when I tested the flow rate through the substrate with Floramax it had very low and if it gets too low of a flow then it's possible to overflow the main tank with whatever was in the sump, and if the sump is kept with minimal water then it might run dry and a lot of pumps need to be submerged to keep them cooled, I've burnt out a 60 gph pump once by letting it run dry for just a few seconds. Also finding a submersible pump that has less than 10 gph seems impossible. I saw a dosing pump that does 3.5, but found out it's quite loud so running it 24/7 would be noisy.

|
|
|

|
|

post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 07:10 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishRFriendz View Post
I thought of doing something like that but when I tested the flow rate through the substrate with Floramax it had very low and if it gets too low of a flow then it's possible to overflow the main tank with whatever was in the sump, and if the sump is kept with minimal water then it might run dry and a lot of pumps need to be submerged to keep them cooled, I've burnt out a 60 gph pump once by letting it run dry for just a few seconds. Also finding a submersible pump that has less than 10 gph seems impossible. I saw a dosing pump that does 3.5, but found out it's quite loud so running it 24/7 would be noisy.
True the flow rate is less. Since using air pump so no worries on running dry if that happens.

The ammonia and nitrites are 0ppm, so mission accomplished LOL. There are like 10+ shrimps and babies in that.
Picked this tank for $3 from Petsmart, so had to do something with it.
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watercrayfish View Post
Picked this tank for $3 from Petsmart, so had to do something with it.
Wow how'd you get it for that much? The lowest I've seen it was around $19. For that much I could just go with a 10g or 20g during a $1/gal sale, but for me this was an office desk build so none of the larger aquariums is an option, plus this thing has the gimmicky 'Easy Clean' feature.

Not sure as to the future of this tank. At the moment I have another Nat Geo getting established to take some of these shrimp. I can kinda see maybe a 5 gallon taking it's place or something. Maybe if I can get a nice rimless and a canister that I can put in the cabinet above.

|
|
|

|
|

Last edited by FishRFriendz; 02-13-2017 at 08:01 PM. Reason: Also
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 08:36 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishRFriendz View Post
Wow how'd you get it for that much? The lowest I've seen it was around $19. For that much I could just go with a 10g or 20g during a $1/gal sale, but for me this was an office desk build so none of the larger aquariums is an option, plus this thing has the gimmicky 'Easy Clean' feature.

Not sure as to the future of this tank. At the moment I have another Nat Geo getting established to take some of these shrimp. I can kinda see maybe a 5 gallon taking it's place or something. Maybe if I can get a nice rimless and a canister that I can put in the cabinet above.
Yeah I got lucky. It was around thanks giving season, may be clearing out their stocks for more room.
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'm getting an urge to get a glass replacement tank now. This thing is too small to catch shrimp in. I've been lookin at these:
Penn Plax Vertex
Ultum Nature Systems 25C 4.1g Cube

As for this tank and the new one, I've got some weird ideas on ways to use them together as overhead sumps. Having a pump take water up to the cabinet into one tank that overflows into the other, and the catch reservoir on the 2nd needs to be plumbed with an overflow pipe that returns back to the tank. I guess the first tank would be bio filter, and the 2nd nat geo tank can be a refugium growing algae on a canvas so as to pull out excess nutrients and reduce algae in the glass tank. A funny modular design where you can add and remove sections. Only thing I don't like is that this would be extremely overkil for a 2-4g shrimp tank, but I like being able to have lots of refugiums as I love growing moss.

|
|
|

|
|

post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 04:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I caught one of the females in the act of laying eggs!

|
|
|

|
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode