1g National Geographic Easy Clean - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Updated the lighting in the hood. I found there are a couple different lights using the same shell, but different leds. The original light I was using had smaller leds in a black shell. These are brighter and now two of em can fit after removing the plastic shell.

I know for sure i have 2 males, 3 berried females, and the remaining i think are immature females. I had thought it was even split but more have rounded out and gotten saddled. So I may have 2 males and 6 female. This is gonna get crowded in about 1-2 weeks. Every time I see a molt a few days later another female gets berried...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170202_232832_1487711465394.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	723802  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 08:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
looks nice
post #18 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

5 were berried on Friday, and today all 6 females are berried. This is start of week 3 for the first female that berried, so should be seeing fry soon. The walls are all covered in algae, I've been blasting lights at it from the sides as well as the lights I installed in the hood, so I haven't been taking photos cuz I can't get any clear shots till I clean it. Gonna wait till after half of the females have hatched their eggs and transfer to a new tank before I clean the algae off.

Eventually I want to get all the shrimp outta this 1g and into my aquarium at home and into my neighbor's aquarium, besides the new 1g. Then I'm gonna tear this down and nuke the snails and stuff that came in on that wisteria. Then I'm eye balling 10 Blue dream or blue velvet. Rinse and repeat lol. Everything going according to plan I'll have a good stock for the 20g when I set that up in May. If my tank at home and my neighbor's goes well with the RCS, then I'll just move all of the RCS home (relying on neighbor as a backup in case one or the other tank crashes), and replace them with some 24k yellow neos, so I'll run some blue and yellow at work(two 1g tanks).

Weather is gettin warmer, the moss will pretty soon be moved to a container pond which I'll be doing some outdoor fish breeding with (if I can get a starter group).
BettaBettas and BettaBettas like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

|
|

Last edited by FishRFriendz; 02-27-2017 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Also

post #19 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

V2 under way.

I've actually played with the new NG with Floramax for a month, but opted to go back to my original undergravel design. The ability to just suck out detritus without grave vac was pretty ridiculously awsome. And ultimately I don't need a plantable substrate as I'm growing out moss and shrimp for other tanks here.

Name:	IMG_20170228_124416.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	726810

Substrat Pro buried in the middle. The original was all Substrat Pro, which was excessive. It's a canister filter media. Gravel to better keep the shrimp from going under... tho actually v1 they were getting under via the openings in the uplift tube that I opened up so they could come and go as they pleased. If they get under in v2 then I'll open up the UGF flow director like I did v1.

Name:	IMG_20170228_124449.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	726818

Lower UGF plate, the original had a lot of unnecessary space.

Name:	IMG_20170228_124550.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	726826

Double vision! @[email protected]

Name:	IMG_20170228_124625.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	726834

I have an order coming in from BucePlant. A lot of flame moss, also some more mini xmas moss. The mini xmas I got off amazon from LUFFY was like 90% dead now that I see what parts are growing. I thought it looked nice when I got it but ultimately very little of it was viable and now that the living parts have grown it's possible to see how much of it was bad.

Really needed the mini xmas to come later when I reset the current 1g, but shipping... over $99 was free. Also 20lbs of Ohko for the 20g.

BucePlant is weird, they have different payment options if you're on mobile... Paypal or their checkout on both desktop and mobile. But if you're on mobile you also have Amazon checkout available. Weird, if I'd know Amazon was an option then I'd have ordered the rock sooner when they were selling it cheaper.

|
|
|

|
|

Last edited by FishRFriendz; 03-01-2017 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Also
post #20 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Good stuff, now where do i keep it... In retrospect, the portions are sufficiently large that 2 flame moss would have been plenty... I got 4.

Starting to eye those Dream Blue Velvet and Golden yellow shrimp. Must... resist... tank has to cycle and mature! ARGH!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20170301_135457_1488398508958.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	727146  

Name:	IMG_20170301_132613_1488398679628.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	727154  

Name:	IMG_20170301_132731_1488398762769.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	727162  

Econde and Econde like this.

Last edited by FishRFriendz; 03-01-2017 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Also
post #21 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well look at what arrived too late! Xinyou XY 2891 sponge filter supposedly for up to 10 gallon aquariums.

I DIY'd a sponge filter to play with Floramax in the Nat Geo for almost a month, then decide not to go with sponge/substrate, and of course then this arrives.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	NG1g_22.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	727506  

Name:	NG1g_25.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	727514  

Name:	NG1g_26.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	727522  

Name:	NG1g_27.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	727530  

|
|
|

|
|

post #22 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well one of the females is no longer carrying eggs. I hope they hatched. I don't see any little shrimp but hopefully they made it and are hiding.

Can't tell if the female is saddled up again, now that she's mature it's hard to see through her.

Found a useful accessory, rubber stoppers for the test tubes. My tubes are about 20yrs old and the plastic caps are leaky. Also the caps that come with api tests drip out if you open them which makes gh/kh testing messy, and possibly inaccurate.

And this i ordered 2 months ago. Xinyou XY-2835 crazy small

XY is so compatibility modular! 2 corner and the tiny one I just got.

UPDATE: I found one! I was sittin here using my camera cuz it's easier to see than actually looking and i found one!

Oh and another...

And another...

And...

|
|
|

|
|

Last edited by FishRFriendz; 03-07-2017 at 10:16 PM. Reason: Photo
post #23 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Baby pics!

My daily population count just got complicated...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	NG1g_28.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	730626  

|
|
|

|
|

Last edited by FishRFriendz; 03-08-2017 at 03:58 PM. Reason: Also
post #24 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 10:46 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

How much was that corner filter?
I may be setting up breeding programs shortly for a wild type betta and for a killie strain. While I can probably get away without filtration with the strains I want to work with, keeping surface film from building up and keeping the water better oxygenated will be benificial. I think those corner filters would be a perfect option. Do you know if they make slightly smaller versions?

I usually feel kind of guilty using the quick reply... my replies are rarely quick.
post #25 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 01:28 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer View Post
How much was that corner filter?
I may be setting up breeding programs shortly for a wild type betta and for a killie strain. While I can probably get away without filtration with the strains I want to work with, keeping surface film from building up and keeping the water better oxygenated will be benificial. I think those corner filters would be a perfect option. Do you know if they make slightly smaller versions?
I got it off amazon. Currently listing at $3.37 And free shipping.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DT1XXJW..._jXlWybFQM77VT

It takes about a month and a half to get it tho. I didn't see a smaller corner version, just the tiny round one. It's very modular tho, and easily modded. I'll post a few pics of the parts later. It would very easily be modded to the same height as the round one, it uses all the same parts, the only difference is the foam which can be cut with scissors.

UPDATE:
So here's a pic of the parts in the corner sponge.

Side note: The smaller round model i got only had one intake grill piece.

And if you need a smaller one I'd say remove one of the intake grills and cut the sponge accordingly. Like take off the top two layers or bottom two layers.

I open all of them up to make room and insert an air stone.

Testing

|
|
|

|
|

Last edited by FishRFriendz; 03-09-2017 at 03:37 AM. Reason: Photos
post #26 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 01:21 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Awesome, thanks for all that info and pics.

I usually feel kind of guilty using the quick reply... my replies are rarely quick.
post #27 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Easily counted 15 fry this morning. Looks like another brood hatched since they're so easy to find. Can't wait to see how crowded the images will be when all the females have hatched their broods.

Pretty sure this is the 2nd female, the 1st female to hatch was a dark opaque red.
There's one female that looks just like males, need to find someplace to house some culls.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	NG1g_30.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	731386  

Name:	NG1g_31.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	555.8 KB
ID:	731394  

|
|
|

|
|

Last edited by FishRFriendz; 03-10-2017 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Hmm
post #28 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Last week I started feeding Bacter AE cuz of the fry, and starting last week the mature shrimp have been showing less of a response for Hikari Crab Cuisine. The mature shrimp used to come running for the crab cuisine. I also have Azoo Max Breed which never had much of a response. I actually had to remove left over crab cuisine last week and I was only feeding 1 granule.

Really amazing stuff this Bacter AE is. I use the back end of the handle rather than a whole scoop and put it in a syringe and shake it up then drip it over the moss once a day during the week. Pretty expensive stuff tho, but it should last quite a long while.

Bacter AE 35g ~$20
Hikari Crab Cuisine 50g ~$7
Azoo Max Breed 20g~$10

After trying the Max Breed I was ready to write off the expensive specialty food as snake oil, but after trying Bacter AE... I'm sold on this stuff. What's really amazing is the tank gets a 2 day fast for the weekends, I expect them to come hungry Monday feeding time. Not anymore...

There are so many everywhere now, dont even have to try hard to find em. Starting to color up.

Should i start sucking them out with a turkey baster and moving them to the other 1g?
GrampsGrunge and GrampsGrunge like this.

|
|
|

|
|

Last edited by FishRFriendz; 03-13-2017 at 08:05 PM. Reason: Photo
post #29 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Started pulling out week old fry and moving them to the new tank. Need them to get to work on what's growing in there.

Some are up to 7mm now. Omg I thought they were dying till i realized i was watching tiny molts fall out of the java moss. Every time I bump the moss debris and little white exoskeletons rains down in the original tank.

|
|
|

|
|

post #30 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

It's been a while since the adults haven't been able to get on top of the moss. The moss itself has been vertically bound and getting a bit of emerse growth.

So I decided to dam up the overflow a bit.

That got just under an inch of extra water height and the shrimp are real eager to get up there and clean the tops.

This should also make catching fry with the turkey baster easier. And easier for escapees.
Also the bubbles are popping higher now and getting water on the lights...

Update: Few hours later the scotch tape sprung a leak. A bit of plastic and superglue and we have a permanent fix. Tho the surface tension is much higher with the plastic piece and even tho i made it lower than the tape it seems the water level is now even higher.

Crazy surface tension.

|
|
|

|
|

Last edited by FishRFriendz; 03-15-2017 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Also

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode