1Likes
  • 2 Post By jr125

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Help with water parameters

Hey guys,

Any help or advice would be awesome. So I have a fluval edge 6 gallon tank that I'm starting. I got all the equipment I need to start but I want to know if the plants and fish I want will survive with my tap water parameters and if not, what I should do.

I was thinking about dwarf hair grass, HC Cuba, and a type of moss for a tree.

Also, I will be putting shrimp and some sort of fish that is fine in 6 gallons (open to suggestions for both)

Below is a link to my areas latest water report
http://www.mudomaha.com/sites/default/files/CCR2015.pdf

Again, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 10:01 PM
Algae Grower

Water seems extremely alkaline (high pH). You will probably need to dilute some with distilled or r.o. water.

(Unless you are going for African cichlids!)

DougN
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 10:26 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug105! View Post
Water seems extremely alkaline (high pH). You will probably need to dilute some with distilled or r.o. water.

(Unless you are going for African cichlids!)

DougN
I noticed that as well. I'm in the same boat with my tap water. I switched to RO water mainly for this reason. Also the large seasonal swings in water parameters. I think water suppliers push the PH up as a way to minimize corrosion. See link.

pH corrosion

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Will my pH come down with co2, substrate, decorations, etc?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 10:40 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeTheAquariumSnake View Post
Will my pH come down with co2, substrate, decorations, etc?
I can't answer your question in regards to co2 as I've never used it. I Know it does have an effect on PH. As far as substrate and decorations it depends on what you are using. Some will raise PH, some lower it, some have no effect at all.

Choosing the right aquarium substrate - Algone
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Substrate is mr aqua aquarium soil. Says it lowers pH and hardness of water
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 10:56 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I see from the other thread you have going on this your set up is testing at 7.3. That shouldn't be a problem. Good luck!

I think someone has mentioned that it may take a while for the tank to stabilize so just keep an eye on it for a while. If your readings remain pretty consistent you can make some livestock choices based on that.

Last edited by jr125; 01-26-2017 at 11:01 PM. Reason: comment
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yeah I'm new to the forum and accidentally posted twice, whoops. Can you help with me water changes? Do I just add prime everytime and my readings in my tank should stay relatively the same?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 12:39 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yes, if you are using tap water for water changes Prime is a great water conditioner. Just follow the instructions. It should not effect PH etc. If you do water changes at regular intervals and change the same amount of water each time the water conditions in your tank should stay fairly consistent. It would be good to monitor the tank to see if there is any effect, if any. Tanks usually find their own equilibrium, so to speak, and remain fairly stable as long as the same routine is followed. Once you are confident with your water conditions you can probably back off on testing and spot check occasionally.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 03:21 PM
TFC
Algae Grower

There are a lot of ways to buffer your water down a little, if your worried about your ph being higher. You can add natural items like, driftwood, leaf litter, alder cones, all these things help bring your ph down over time, also, you can use an acid buffer to bring ph down from tap water, just be careful, it can burn gills of small fish, dilute it with tank water in a seperate cup and slowly pour it in, although all this depends on what kind of fish and shrimp you want to keep. Also, if your planting and using tap water, when you use your prime or de-chlorinater it does remove any minerals from liquid fert, you can use RO or distilled water that won't alter your parameters too much, especially if you want to keep shrimp, they are sensitive to sudden H2o changes. Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
If your waiting on me, your backin up. Lets go!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 03:36 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFC View Post
There are a lot of ways to buffer your water down a little, if your worried about your ph being higher. You can add natural items like, driftwood, leaf litter, alder cones, all these things help bring your ph down over time, also, you can use an acid buffer to bring ph down from tap water, just be careful, it can burn gills of small fish, dilute it with tank water in a seperate cup and slowly pour it in, although all this depends on what kind of fish and shrimp you want to keep. Also, if your planting and using tap water, when you use your prime or de-chlorinater it does remove any minerals from liquid fert, you can use RO or distilled water that won't alter your parameters too much, especially if you want to keep shrimp, they are sensitive to sudden H2o changes. Good luck!
All in all you are much better choosing your livestock based on your water rather than trying to adjust your water to the livestock. Most fish(not all) will adapt to different conditions within reason. You are just in for a lot of headaches trying to change PH, hardness etc. to much of a degree and maintain a measure of consistency.

I don't use Prime myself as I use RO water for changes but I've never heard of anyone mentioning that it interferes with their fertilizer dosing.
Blnd and Blnd like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode