• 2 Post By FishRFriendz
  • 2 Post By Blnd
  • 2 Post By Blnd

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Rocky Mountain Scape: 12 inch planted bowl

I started this way back in mid October (2016) with a dollar store potting soil base and HC "Cuba" on a dry start. I originally had photos all through the build, but unfortunately my SD card died.

A commonly cited problem with fish bowls is the limited surface area, but a half-filled sphere actually has a huge surface area. I really like the aesthetic.

Update: I filled the whole tank to give it much more volume. Surface area doesn't seem to be an issue at all.

My inspiration for this scape is the Rocky Mountains in Alberta. The HC looks like the forest that leads up the gently slope at the base of the mountain, and the little stones in the middle are like bare cliffs.

Hardscape and Equipment:

12-inch glass bowl from craft shop

Aqueon 10w betta heater

ExoTerra f150 sponge filter set to minimum flow

Generic natural gravel, super coarse grade to build up slope

3 pieces of rock rubble

Plants:

HC "Cuba"

Anubias nana "petite"

Frogbit (never really took off)

Livestock:

7 Boraras naevus

I really wanted cherry shrimp and no fish at all, but the 2 batches that I tried didn't survive in this bowl at all.

Update: drip acclimation did the trick. I got 3 cherry shrimp now.

Flooded at 5 weeks.

Top-down week 1 vs last night, HC is nicely carpeted

I was quite busy before Christmas, so the tank sort of got away from me. Now I'm getting back on top of maintenance. I only wiped the glass on the front and side where I usually look in. The heater in the back is also a new addition. It's a piece of equipment that I bought when I was in high school thinking that I would eventually use it. My mom dug it up a few months ago, and when I was home for Christmas I decided to take it with me. I suspect it's broken though.
Econde and Econde like this.

Last edited by Blnd; 01-28-2017 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Updating details
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 02:25 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Man that is a great looking scape.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

20g Long -Retired
10g Betta tank -Retired
1.1 Gallon Vase -Retired
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Filled up the tank all the way, added an ExoTerra f150 2 weeks ago, added more strawberry rasboras, added 3 cherry shrimp, and now I do daily water changes and weekly Seachem Flourish. It certainly looks better now, and the carpet is grown in to a point where I'm considering trimming.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Tank's been going very well. Here are some photos:

I feed frozen daphnia and baby brine shrimp alternately. The boraras have colored up wonderfully.
Econde, Econde, bleumoon and 5 others like this.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Also, I still have no idea if the heater is doing anything. The fish and shrimp are active and healthy though, so I won't mess around with it.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 01:11 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
The hardware inside the bowl is pretty funny with the bowl magnifying their size.
Blnd and Blnd like this.

Don't ask for advice. Ask for information, gather lots of information from different reliable sources. Then use the information to make your own advice.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

That's one of the things that I like about the bowl. Not with the equipment, but with the livestock inside. A shrimp on the back glass looks huge. This was planned as an equipmentless tank, but adding the basics made it so much better for the livestock, and really that's the first priority.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

It's been a few weeks, and everything is still going well. I haven't lost any fish or shrimp. I don't know where the ramshorn snails came from, but I have snails now.

Carpet is all filled in

Shrimp are doing well. I'll be adding quite a few more at some point, now that I know they'll survive.

Algae always looks a lot worse in pictures for some reason, but it's really not that bad in person.

This tank won't be changing much. I'm very happy with the scape, and with an uncapped dirt substrate I really don't want to go rooting under the HC carpet.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Not a lot has changed, except I added floating fern and the lotus has started putting out some beautiful red leaves. Trimmed the carpet a few times. It gets a few yellow leaves here and there, but that comes and goes. The shrimp spawned recently, and the fish are still the same fish. Looks like this bowl might last quite a while. Assuming the scape outlasts the boraras I might just throw in a pea puffer. I've always wanted one of those.
kyle3 and kyle3 like this.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quick update, I lost a lot of boraras over the course of a week several months ago. It was a really weird week, and I didn't find any of the bodies. Now there are only 2 left. I've also realized that in the long term HC Cuba is a HUGE hassle. I had to replant a few patches. The main problem there is that garden soil breaks down and recedes away from the roots over time, and HC has such fine roots. I want to completely redo the aquascape, but the remaining carpet is still so nice that I don't want to rip it up.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Photo update:

Tags
dirt substrate, nano bowl

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode