Techniques for Flourite - The Planted Tank Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Techniques for Flourite

I recently added Flourite to my 7.5 gal tank and I was wondering everyone else's experience with Flourite went or is continuing to go? It looks aesthetically wonderful. Adding plants in there this week which should be exciting. Just wondering! Happy New Year!
mageikman32 and mageikman32 like this.

Last edited by FrieGuy; 01-02-2017 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 02:20 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrieGuy View Post
I recently added Flourite to my 7.5 gal tank and I was wondering everyone else's experience with Flourite went or is continuing to go? It look aesthetically wonderful. Adding plants in there this week which should be exciting. Just wondering! Happy New Year!
Are you using only Flourite

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mageikman32 View Post
Are you using only Flourite

Yes just Flourite exclusively.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 02:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
I use eco-complete. It's basically the same stuff. Use a couple root tabs if you have root feeders. The substrate does absorb nutrients from the water column that are made available to roots, but I have seen improvement in plants like dwarf hairgrass when using root tabs

A 17-year old that faces parental opposition in this hobby

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohankpatel View Post
I use eco-complete. It's basically the same stuff. Use a couple root tabs if you have root feeders. The substrate does absorb nutrients from the water column that are made available to roots, but I have seen improvement in plants like dwarf hairgrass when using root tabs
Yeah I am going to be using Seachem root tabs to supplement my Flourite. Now looking for a good light to go with it...
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 03:05 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Ok cool yea I been wondering the same thing... I was going to buy a bag of the seachem Flourite cause it was on sale but didn't do it since haven't really heard to much about it as far as a full substrate

FrieGuy and FrieGuy like this.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 04:30 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I've always only used pure Flourite in my tanks. Tom Barr recommends using a bit of leonardite underneath. I've done that too, however, pure Flourite has worked for me also.

Thanks,
Harry
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 04:44 PM
Planted Member

I have three tanks going using only Seachem's Flourite. One is solely Flourite Black, the other solely Flourite Black Sand, and the last a mixture of the two. I've had great success growing all types of plants with these products. The latest trend toward speciality substrate, like ADA amazonia, is really for the benefit they provide in maintaining the tanks pH on the more acidic side <7.0. Seachem's fluorite however is inert and won't affect the chemistry of your aquarium. If you have a lot of rooted plants you probably would benefit from using the flourish tabs as well.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 05:15 PM
Planted Member

I use fluorite black sand and it's wonderful. I think it's the best option as far as fluorite goes. Are you just using original fluorite?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxhrbal View Post
I use fluorite black sand and it's wonderful. I think it's the best option as far as fluorite goes. Are you just using original fluorite?

Yeah its the original Flourite they sell at like a Petsmart.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 06:10 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattern8 View Post
I have three tanks going using only Seachem's Flourite. One is solely Flourite Black, the other solely Flourite Black Sand, and the last a mixture of the two. I've had great success growing all types of plants with these products. The latest trend toward speciality substrate, like ADA amazonia, is really for the benefit they provide in maintaining the tanks pH on the more acidic side <7.0. Seachem's fluorite however is inert and won't affect the chemistry of your aquarium. If you have a lot of rooted plants you probably would benefit from using the flourish tabs as well.
Can you post a picture of the black/black sand mixture? I was looking into flourite, specifically a 50/50 mix of those two.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 06:12 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Yeah its the original Flourite they sell at like a Petsmart.

I personally like the sand better, I feel the finer particles are more efficient for roots, just my opinion, but it's all good stuff. I'd use root tabs not just for heavy root feeders, but spread out everywhere, and they should last long enough to the point where you won't need them at all. I found that it takes at least a month or so for the material to to do what it's supposed to and hold nutrients and such. Probably easier to add the tabs before your plants, per the directions on your root tabs, (spread out every couple square inches or something like that.). Fluorite is pretty simple and straight forward, there's not too many tips to give. Lol.

post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 06:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Sand can be tricky, some has too large grains of sand and have a hard time holding down plants. Some too fine will choke out the roots.
I always recommend the National Geographic substrate, it is a 10 out of 10 sandlike substrate that will do neither.

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 07:53 PM
Algae Grower

I'm using black fluorite in my low tech 6 gal and it's doing just fine. I added root tabs broken up into roughly a quarter of their size and spread them around before adding the top layer. The plants are growing great including DHG and crypt parva. My lloydiella is now growing right out of the water.
maxhrbal and maxhrbal like this.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 11:10 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quack View Post
Can you post a picture of the black/black sand mixture? I was looking into flourite, specifically a 50/50 mix of those two.
Here is a photo of the tank using Flourite Black and Flourite Black Sand. The base is Flourite. The Black Sand was used without a real concentration on the plant or root type of plant but instead with a focus on visual perspective. I placed it so there is a gradation from fine on the outer edge of tank to more corse nearing and around the stone structures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2406.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	705738  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2407.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	705746  

Tags
7.5 gallon, flourite, nano planted tank, plants, substrate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode