• 2 Post By terrapedes
  • 2 Post By DrEd
  • 2 Post By terrapedes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
snails in 3 gallon planted tank?

I have been reading all kinds of conflicting info about having snails but the threads are usually about large community tanks and am interested in the experience of other small tank folks.

I've thought of nerites - but eggs everywhere sounds kinda high maintenance.
Currently considering Malaysian Trumpet snails - which would really help with the substrate as my mini vacuums function great as siphons but not so great as actual vacuums (I've tried three different ones - same outcome - keep clogging)
the concern of course is the "population explosions" of MTS which sound horrid! I've seen posts that stated this usually only happens in community tanks because of over-feeding...would be curious to know people's actual experiences
==============
I have a 3 gallon bow front with filter and heater, one male Betta and so far 2 bundles of anarcharis, 1 anubias and 2 bunches of java fern and 2 nano marimo balls

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 03:24 PM
Algae Grower

I have one snail for my 5.5gal and he seems fine. I wouldn't want to overcrowd a tank with snails because they can starve later on if you don't supply algae wafers. My taught me a little algae is good for a tank.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiejessigamer View Post
I have one snail for my 5.5gal and he seems fine..
Thanks for the reply - what kind of snail do you have?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 08:30 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilontano View Post
Thanks for the reply - what kind of snail do you have?
I have a nerite snail, they are less likely to breed and take over a tank like pond snails. My sister is having issues with her tanks being infested. Plus they can be quite beautiful if you can find assorted ones.
vilontano and vilontano like this.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 08:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I have a black mystery snail and a nerite with CS and fish in my 5 gallon
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 10:11 PM
Algae Grower

I have horned nerite snails in my betta tank (4.5g) I only had problems with eggs at first and then they stopped laying them, don't know why...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Terra

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
4.5G PLANTED NANO
8G PLANTED BETTA TANK

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 02:22 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/80%)
MTS is never a good idea unless you really like them. It's impossible to get rid of them if you change your mind. For a 3G tank, one horned merited snail is enough. Usually you won't really have the egg issue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for all the replies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaBettas View Post
I have a black mystery snail and a nerite with CS and fish in my 5 gallon
thanks for the reply
any problems with eggs?

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapedes View Post
I have horned nerite snails in my betta tank (4.5g) I only had problems with eggs at first and then they stopped laying them, don't know why...
I was looking into the horned nerites - do those spikes on it's shell pose any threat to the betta?
I have seen posts that they have less eggs and they are "softer" - did you find that to be true?

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEd View Post
For a 3G tank, one horned merited snail is enough. Usually you won't really have the egg issue
Yep it seems the MTS are real problems
Now the horned nerites - any problems with the fins of a male veiled Betta? those horns look kinda dangerous...

Is it true that the horned nerites lay less eggs and that they dissolve more easily?

thanks
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 11:24 PM
Algae Grower

2 mystery snails in my 10g and they love to move around!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 12:28 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:

thanks for the reply
any problems with eggs?

Bump:

I was looking into the horned nerites - do those spikes on it's shell pose any threat to the betta?
I have seen posts that they have less eggs and they are "softer" - did you find that to be true?

Bump:

Now the horned nerites - any problems with the fins of a male veiled Betta? those horns look kinda dangerous...

Is it true that the horned nerites lay less eggs and that they dissolve more easily?

thanks
CRS lay eggs but none of the snails lay eggs
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 04:36 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:

thanks for the reply
any problems with eggs?

Bump:

Bump:

thanks

I never had any problems with the fins on bettas and horned nerites, but I suppose it could happen, that they got torn, but I wouldn't worry about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Terra

4.5G PLANTED NANO
8G PLANTED BETTA TANK

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 03:40 AM
Planted Member

For what it's worth, the nerite eggs won't survive as long as your tank isn't brackish...plus, in my opinion, the few white specs that do show up in the corners of wood and glass aren't a big deal.

Of course, I'm saying that as I try to squash every little ramshorn that I find in my 8 gallon tank while others let them roam free!

It's all personal preference. I love nerites and their cousins because they are often colorful, have great patterns, and won't breed. Tiger Track nerites are amazing. I've got a typical zebra, a tiger track, a green horned, and a red horned nerite in my Africa biotope tank.

Go Timbers

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode