• 2 Post By 691175002
  • 2 Post By BettaBettas
  • 4 Post By justinmo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 01:29 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Babies!

Wow...after being told that everything will die within days (which it didn't), we now have babies!

The dalmatian mollie gave birth to about 10 little ones. The babies are hiding out in the plants while a couple have been sucked up in the filter system.

Being that we have such small tank (2.5) I know we can't keep them. Plus the mollie is keeping the platy securely in the corner.

Should I remove the little ones or let nature take its course?
Econde and Econde like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 01:55 AM
Algae Grower

Have you returned the Mollies? It's either that, rehome them or get a bigger tank. A platy or a molly cannot go in a 2.5 gallon alone much less with 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 02:02 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinmo View Post
Have you returned the Mollies? It's either that, rehome them or get a bigger tank. A platy or a molly cannot go in a 2.5 gallon alone much less with 2.

It is what it is...old school fish advice...1 fish per gallon, hence 2 fish. Now one has had babies. The 2 fish aren't going anywhere. Call FFS (Fish Family Services) if you insist.

I still need help with the babies.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 02:20 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I think your best course of action is a cheap 10g setup. I prefer to let livebearers fend for themselves, if you actively try to help the fry survive they will multiply unmanageably fast. In a planted tank there will be enough cover and food to keep a stable population. At most I'll put a screen on the filter intake.

Be careful in the 2.5g, slow poisoning due to bad water quality will stunt fish and make them more prone to disease. Its not fun to watch a fish slowly die over weeks or months.
BettaBettas and BettaBettas like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 04:19 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I isolated the platy so he can have a break from the aggressive mother molly. Rescued one fry the the filter, couldn't find any others in there.

Best count is 10 little ones hanging around the ground cover.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 04:27 AM
Planted Tank Guru

have to agree with the other commenter, a molly in a 2.5 gallon (or under a 5 gallon AT LEAST) is not good. usually no fish is good for a 2.5 gallon which is why they are mainly used a shrimp tanks. Water quality in that small of a tank inhabiting fish is very difficult, and hard to maintain steadily. I suggest you donate all the fish inhabitants to an lfs or forum member, someone who is willing to care with proper conditions.
As for the filter issue, I suggest until you rehome the fish, to get a window screen and cut it into a reasonably small piece. Then put it around the filter intake, using rubber bands (or similar) to keep it on tight. this will however require you to clean the intake more often.
jsankey88 and jsankey88 like this.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 11:34 AM
Algae Grower

Babies!

^ assuming you do rehome the fish because you sound like they're staying. The old one fish per gallon rule is not correct or accurate in any way. Would you put a blue tang in a bowl? Either way it's one inch per gallon but that's not correct either. Neither methods take into account bio load, activity level, aggression or any other factors. A tank that small could just barely hold a betta and that's definitely not ideal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 10:57 PM
Algae Grower

Some people will never learn.....

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode