Fresh start - Page 27 - The Planted Tank Forum
 255Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #391 of 407 (permalink) Old 06-21-2017, 10:51 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Pretty awesome setups, I can't bare the idea of having just a beta in the tank, I have to fill it to the capacity it can handle the max!! I'll do any number of water change so to make it possible lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 407 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 05:30 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar EAZi View Post
Pretty awesome setups, I can't bare the idea of having just a beta in the tank, I have to fill it to the capacity it can handle the max!! I'll do any number of water change so to make it possible lol

Thank you! I'm the same way if the betta lets me anyway. My 10 gallon is definitely over stocked but I have a 20 gal filter on it and am doing the biweekly water changes again. Plus the cories and shrimp help as cleanup also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Omar EAZi and Omar EAZi like this.

using this hobby as an excuse to procrastinate
post #393 of 407 (permalink) Old 07-02-2017, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Fresh start

Okay, 10 gallon has a leak. Gonna pick up a 20 long and more hardscape and substrate.

post #394 of 407 (permalink) Old 07-02-2017, 11:01 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maclyri View Post
Okay, 10 gallon has a leak. Gonna pick up a 20 long and more hardscape and substrate.

Oh no, did you find the cause of the leak?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
post #395 of 407 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 01:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattb126 View Post
Oh no, did you find the cause of the leak?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Didn't find the cause but it was wet all over the bottom of the tank and the water level was draining way too fast to be evaporation. I put all the fish and plants in a big bucket and siliconed the new tank everywhere just to be safe and then once it cured I threw everything in with more substrate and an additional aqua clear 20 fluval filter as well as a new heater.

Current options for stocking are going to be more rasboras with either a female betta sorority, or a community tank with some rams. Any thoughts?

Also have an excuse to try the vertical terrarium kits now with that 10 gallon

I will post pictures of the tank when it's not just a murky mess of floating plants!

post #396 of 407 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 04:29 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Fresh start

Okay, got things a little more organized tonight.
Current stock is:
6 microdevario kubotai
5 corydoras habrosus
3 corydoras pygmaeus
A sh*t load of cherry shrimp
(My male betta had passed awhile ago)

Everyone seems to be okay after the transfer, no losses yet. I used all the remaining tank water and then new water for the rest. I also have the old filter on the tank. This thing is set up in the kitchen for now until I can really access the water damage on the dresser the 10 was on.

I now have 2 fluval aqua clear 20s on the tank and my same current USA satellite plus on this thing. It could easily fit a light twice as long but I definitely don't have the money for that at the moment and the scape idea I have probably won't need that (hopefully).

I also threw all the spider wood and dragon stone I had in here as well as all the plants I had in the 10. Gonna get another big piece of wood this week and really set it up a little later. Will probably pick up another 5 or so microdevario kubotai too if they have them. I have most of the more sensitive plants planted in the higher light area while I'm tinkering with the hardscape.
I'm thinking all the rock in the middle and then wood on either side with the fern, anubias, and crypts on the outside and the stems and sword all in the middle throughout the rock. I'm gonna need to get more fern and crypt to really get the look I think I'm going for, but that is an easy thing to grab.
I'm open to any and all input as usual! Excited for this new setup even if it wasn't planned
Again, I need help on stocking options too, sorority or community with rams are my 2 main ideas.
Thanks guys! Will be posting more pictures when I get the new hardscape on Wednesday

post #397 of 407 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Okay guys, I got all my hardscape! The tank still looks like a mess but it's getting closer and now I'm just waiting for the wood to sink. All the fish seem to be loving the extra space and all the nooks to explore. I'm still figuring out where I want all the stems but I have a lot of the plants planted in the higher light area. I know if I want to keep my stems as good as they had been doing in the 10, I'm gonna need a new light. I'm gonna use this one until I can't anymore though.

Here's a FTS you can kind of get the gist of the set up. There are basically 2 big masses of wood on either side with the rock in the middle. I have way more crypt than I thought I did (I pulled it out of the fluval too). They will be all around the base of the wood. I like where the sword is I think. The stems will go in the back of the rocks and slightly off to the sides. I'm gonna put a bunch of fern behind the wood, a lot of it is in place already. I also have quite a bit of anubias to put on the wood as well.
I'm kind of not liking the idea of a sorority anymore. Leaning more toward the community with rams or even an apisto. I'll do some more research and try and make a decision.

Water parameters seem too be okay so far, very slight up in ammonia since the move but I did a 20% water change and it went back down. No nitrite and some nitrate.

post #398 of 407 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 08:24 PM
Algae Grower

What wood is that?? Looks amazing!

post #399 of 407 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 05:39 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Current FTS after I moved some stuff around the other day! Got some fungus on the wood so waterlogging is in process!
So I have a trade going for my fluval. Whole set up and stocking for a male and 2 female German balloon rams for the 20. I'm trading with a local fish store as a display tank for the fluval and their next shipment of rams. We will see how that goes. No more spikes in ammonia or nitrite, just more nitrate.

post #400 of 407 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinmo View Post
What wood is that?? Looks amazing!

It's spiderwood!

post #401 of 407 (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 01:52 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Is the puffer still with the rest of the fish or did you have to move him out?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
post #402 of 407 (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Is the puffer still with the rest of the fish or did you have to move him out?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Puffer and the other fish are doing great! I'm moving the tank to its new owner next month.

harley and harley like this.

post #403 of 407 (permalink) Old 07-17-2017, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Update time on the 20!

Post water change and glass scrub from this morning. My 3 juvenile German balloon rams are doing great. Still super shy but I've been sitting in front of the tank every morning with my coffee and sit for about 15-20 minutes and they eventually poke out of all the driftwood caves they have found. Two of them are getting some nice, round, pink bellies so I'm hoping for a couple females.
Still trying to get my hands on some more Kubotai rasboras.

I left the lights off for about 4 days trying to cut a little algae and the plants have rebounded nicely.

Some nice new growth on the top. Still need to move some stems around but I'm mainly just letting everything settle right now. I also added some dwarf lilies to either side.

post #404 of 407 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I got a finnex 247 light for the 20! The current light went on my big viv and both are working great!
Found ich on the rams, shocking I know been treating the tank for 5 days. Only one of them isn't back up to full color, other two look like they are doing absolutely fine but we shall see.

One of my friends is paying me to scape her moms 175 for her birthday and add new plants!! Super stoked, I will post pictures of that monster when I can

post #405 of 407 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Left side

Right side

Pale "sick" looking ram

One of the healthier ones (with a mouth full of bloodworm)

The third

Happy amano!

The algae is pretty bad in here but a lot of the plants are dying off old growth and sending up a bunch of new stuff so I'm just gonna let it settle before I tackle that. I'm also gonna get more fern to fill in the spots behind the wood. Still trying to get my hand on more kubotai but now I'm waiting till this ich thing goes either way. The fluval is also gone officially! So I have all my fish attention on this tank now
As always, thanks for input and putting up with my random posting.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode