Fresh start - Page 23 - The Planted Tank Forum
 255Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #331 of 407 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaBettas View Post
I don't think the "clover" will grow in the filter, it will grow in MGOPS (for me) or directly in the tanks substrate.

My LFS had it in a floating basket with no substrate with the tops growing out of the water like it has in the filter now. If it doesn't work I have a spot for it in my 10 gal though, so no worries

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BettaBettas and BettaBettas like this.

using this hobby as an excuse to procrastinate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 407 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 08:19 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Not a beta fan, but the colors on your "Iago" are really starting to pop! Guess he's having a good time in that tank! Keep it up
Maclyri and Maclyri like this.

My New Re-scaped 56 Gallon Journal~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My old 56G

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #333 of 407 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeP_123 View Post
Not a beta fan, but the colors on your "Iago" are really starting to pop! Guess he's having a good time in that tank! Keep it up

Thank you! I am really enjoying being able to see his personality come out

post #334 of 407 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 01:13 PM
Algae Grower

How do you do the hydrogen peroxide spray to kill algae? What is the solution made of (how many parts of each) and also what do you do after you drain the tank and spray with the diluted hydrogen peroxide? Do you just fill it back up? Wouldn't this harm the fish?

post #335 of 407 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinmo View Post
How do you do the hydrogen peroxide spray to kill algae? What is the solution made of (how many parts of each) and also what do you do after you drain the tank and spray with the diluted hydrogen peroxide? Do you just fill it back up? Wouldn't this harm the fish?

In the fluval I just take the betta out the snails if they are out in the open. Then drain it as much as possible while vacuuming the substrate. The spray I made is about 3/4 hydrogen peroxide but it is expired so I'm not sure if that dilutes the strength or not. I just spray everything down as much as possible and scrub the hardscape with a sponge and then wipe most of the leaves off with my fingers. Then I just fill back up and float the betta while I replant anything that got uprooted and treat the water. I turnoff the heater and filter while I'm doing everything until I refill.

With the 10 gallon it's a little trickier. This time I didn't even catch the betta cause he kept swimming stay from me. I just drained it about 70-80% and sprayed everything I could and scrubbed the rest with my fingers or a sponge. Then refilled and treated the water. No damage done on any fish that I can see!

D3monic and D3monic like this.

post #336 of 407 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 11:17 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
Peroxide should be relatively safe, it just breaks down into oxygen. I used to spot treat underwater with a syringe full of 3% peroxide. I also use it in the garden and on plants I buy from nurseries. Just fill a 5gal bucket with water, dump a bottle in and drop plants in soil and all and let soak for a few mins before rinsing off. Kills all the pests. Plants usually look great afterward as well.
Maclyri and Maclyri like this.

Canon Pimp Club #019

"I have all the characteristics of a human being: blood, flesh, skin, hair; but not a single, clear, identifiable emotion, except for greed and disgust. Something horrible is happening inside of me and I don't know why. My nightly bloodlust has overflown into my days. I feel lethal, on the verge of frenzy. I think my mask of sanity is about to slip"

E

post #337 of 407 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

A good shot of some of the growth I've seen from the s. repens and one of the 10 gallons new inhabitants

I also started using seachem line of ferts and really seeing a difference in my plants! Some are still transitioning but everything looks good

post #338 of 407 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 06:53 PM
Banned

your lucky you got your s repens to grow, I got my first s repens from the green machines website (newb move), got them in vitro and I planted them around a year ago, they still have active chloroplasts but haven't grown one bit! :l even the emersed ones "growing" in MGOPS.
nice pics!
Nate
post #339 of 407 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
your lucky you got your s repens to grow, I got my first s repens from the green machines website (newb move), got them in vitro and I planted them around a year ago, they still have active chloroplasts but haven't grown one bit! :l even the emersed ones "growing" in MGOPS.

nice pics!

Nate

Thank you I was surprised to see growth honestly! These were just tissue cultures from petsmart

post #340 of 407 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 07:26 PM
Banned

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maclyri View Post
Thank you I was surprised to see growth honestly! These were just tissue cultures from petsmart

See when I lived in Atlanta I used to shop at a petsmart, but then when I moved here to Arkansas, there was no petsmart or LFS! Only a Petco which I figure is alright and so/so but smaller. But they don't even stock all this cool stuff everyone is talking about . Like cmon I want some green buce and s repens!!! lol
post #341 of 407 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
See when I lived in Atlanta I used to shop at a petsmart, but then when I moved here to Arkansas, there was no petsmart or LFS! Only a Petco which I figure is alright and so/so but smaller. But they don't even stock all this cool stuff everyone is talking about . Like cmon I want some green buce and s repens!!! lol

Persmart has way better plants but my petco just started stocking nano fish so I'm pretty lucky, not to mention the pretty awesome fish stores in San Diego

post #342 of 407 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 08:37 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Like cmon I want some green buce and s repens!!! lol
I've seen the Petco in Germantown have buce in a TC bag. And s.repens too. But the Germantown store is kinda sucks for fish. The midtown employee I talked to about plants said he makes orders of all sorts of stuff but sometimes his shipments get sent to the wrong store(the Germantown store). So at least the live submerged plants in Germantown are half decent. TC stuff is hit or miss... just whatever they got from resupply.

If I were in San Diego, I don't think I'd bother with either Petco or Petsmart. I bet the LFSs there are amazing. Then again, maybe the chains have to step up their game when the competition sets a higher bar.

Don't ask for advice. Ask for information, gather lots of information from different reliable sources. Then use the information to make your own advice.
post #343 of 407 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 09:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishRFriendz View Post
If I were in San Diego, I don't think I'd bother with either Petco or Petsmart. I bet the LFSs there are amazing. Then again, maybe the chains have to step up their game when the competition sets a higher bar.
Same, if I were as big of a hobbyist as I am now and still lived in Atlanta I would be running all over the city!
post #344 of 407 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Most of my stuff is from the fish stores but the stores don't have as many tissue cultures and I've made pretty good friends with the people that work at the petco so it's really easy to get some nice fish, the LFS usually have too many orders and other customers that it takes awhile to get what I want sometimes. The people at Petco are just happy to be able to talk to another hobbyist and know that the fish are going to a good home. They will bend over backwards to help a friend.

On another note, I've been DYING to set up a new tank.
As tempting as it is, I was good and just decided to rescape one of mine. The fluval got some new furniture, and new inhabitants

I got a new piece of wood and ramped the substrate as much as I could to the right and went right into it. Along with the new scape there are some little clown killifish as well
The rocks are just there for the time being while the wood gets waterlogged. I didn't like any of the spaces for the stems so they went into the 10 gallon.

The rocks will eventually go into this tank, will do a little rescape here too.

post #345 of 407 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 02:26 AM
Banned

clown killifish, the fish with the intense blue eyes. Nice choice.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode