DHG Carpet Help In a Fluval Spec V - The Planted Tank Forum
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By York1
  • 4 Post By Bananableps
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Charlotte, NC, USA
Posts: 5
Question Fluval Spec V DHG Carpet Help!!!

I have a Fluval Spec V 5 gallon aquarium and I want to grow a DHG carpet in this tank with an iwagumi aquascape. I plan to use ADA Aquasoil for my substrate and I will probably make a DIY CO2 system.

Question 1: I'm going to replace the original light that comes with the tank, which light do you recommend for a DHG carpet? The tank is 17.2"L x 6.3"W x 10.6"H and I plan to use ADA Aquasoil. The room it will be in is somewhat bright.

Question 2: How many inches will i need to have of the ADA Aquasoil in order to have a lush DHG carpet?

Question 3: I am planning a dry start, how long do I need to run my light, and when will I be able to flood the tank with water? How many days will I have to mist for?

Question 4: How often will I have to fertilize with API Root Tabs, and do I have to put the root tabs in before I plant my Hairgrass?

Any other advice to help me avoid a rookie mistake would be awesome!
Thanks so much!!
ryanswis is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 02:32 PM
Algae Grower
 
Brahma04's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 61
I JUST tore my 2 year old fluval spec V down last night! I LOVED that tank! (I'm moving to a 22g long) I had DHG in mine and it carpeted well with a Finnex FugeRay Planted+ 16-Inch on top. The DHG had about .75-1.25 inch of eco complete capped with .25 inch of flourite black sand (seachem) would imagine that .75-1.25 inch of ADA would be enough. Question 3 Cant help with as I have never used the dry start method. Question 4 Never once used any root tabs in 2 years but did dose ferts into the water column.

I will add that cutting DHG in a specV is a pain in the ass, the angles are annoying to work with a pair of shears but then again the level of annoyance does change with your scape. (DHG works in this tank just be aware when you are planting it how your going to trim I'll add a pic so you can see what i was referring to.) I'll be subbed to your post if you have anymore questions, its a cool little tank I'll be setting up again at some point!


P.S. I did have Co2 getting diffused then up the return pump via paintball co2 setup with solenoid
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1391.jpg
Views:	557
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	695930  


Complacency is the enemy of progress-
Brahma04 is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 03:20 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
KayakJimW's Avatar
 
PTrader: (7/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Richmond VA
Posts: 1,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanswis View Post
I have a Fluval Spec V 5 gallon aquarium and I want to grow a DHG carpet in this tank with an iwagumi aquascape. I plan to use ADA Aquasoil for my substrate and I will probably make a DIY CO2 system.

Question 1: I'm going to replace the original light that comes with the tank, which light do you recommend for a DHG carpet? The tank is 17.2"L x 6.3"W x 10.6"H and I plan to use ADA Aquasoil. The room it will be in is somewhat bright.

Question 2: How many inches will i need to have of the ADA Aquasoil in order to have a lush DHG carpet?

Question 3: I am planning a dry start, how long do I need to run my light, and when will I be able to flood the tank with water? How many days will I have to mist for?

Question 4: How often will I have to fertilize with API Root Tabs, and do I have to put the root tabs in before I plant my Hairgrass?

Any other advice to help me avoid a rookie mistake would be awesome!
Thanks so much!!
Answer 1: You may be fine with the light that comes with it, since it's not a very deep tank. Finnex and Beamswork have decent lighting options for reasonable prices, but for that size, they may not be that much of an upgrade. You don't want too much light either

Answer 2: Two sounds about right to me, give or take

Answer 3: Never done a DSM myself, starting with 8 or 10hrs of light and adjusting accordingly won't hurt. I'd search the forums for DSM dry start method and see what folks have had the best results with. Flood when root systems are good and established, mist every day until then. Lay saran wrap over your tank to keep it humid, but take it off to let it breath a little each day.

Answer 4: Never done ADA Aquasoil either, but I don't think you'll need root tabs until the AS is depleted of its nutrients. Should take at least several months I'm guessing. After that the directions should be on the package of root tabs, probably about every month, other month?

Other advice: there's some really nice, very thorough DSM threads on here that will answer these questions better. Good threads on Aquasoil, lighting, and spec Vs too. Check out the search function to see what folks have done over the years about these same questions, just make sure it isn't a super old thread before you reply to those posts.

I usually don't like giving answers on stuff I haven't done or seen first hand, but this should at least be a nudge in the right direction. More folks will chime in and help you out more hopefully

92% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
KayakJimW is online now  
 
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 03:23 PM
Algae Grower
 
blesser13's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 147
Hey!

I would be glad to help you out!


1-for the light check Chihiros A-Series Aquatic Aquarium High Output LED Lamp 12-39W Light 20-45cm

2-About 1.5 to 2

3- Dry start I don’t think the light will matter, try the 8 hours a day, when you feel that the carpet have spread enough for your taste, start gradually adding water to your tank. Make sure your cover the top so the air don’t go in.

4-I usuallly put the root tabs after planting to make sure the roots will grow close enough, i also add new tabs every 2-3 months


Hope this help!

Are you a nature lover? follow me on instagram
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
blesser13 is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Charlotte, NC, USA
Posts: 5
Thanks so much!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blesser13 View Post
Hey!

I would be glad to help you out!


1-for the light check Chihiros A-Series Aquatic Aquarium High Output LED Lamp 12-39W Light 20-45cm

2-About 1.5 to 2

3- Dry start I don’t think the light will matter, try the 8 hours a day, when you feel that the carpet have spread enough for your taste, start gradually adding water to your tank. Make sure your cover the top so the air don’t go in.

4-I usuallly put the root tabs after planting to make sure the roots will grow close enough, i also add new tabs every 2-3 months
Hope this help!

Does DHG carpet well with the original light? What do you think of ADA Aquasoil with DHG? Thanks so much!!

Last edited by Darkblade48; 12-03-2016 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Duplicate post
ryanswis is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 06:00 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
York1's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: GA
Posts: 386
Are you going to post this in every section of the forums? This is your 3 post about the same thing
mageikman32 and mageikman32 like this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
York1 is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 06:31 PM
Algae Grower
 
blesser13's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 147
Original light is not good enough for DHG, but i had good results with Eleocharis vivipara ( Hairgrass ), just need to keep it short =), ADA soil is great

here is a list of some plants to carpet with low light

Tropica 1-2-GROW -Marsilea hirsuta
Tropica 1-2-GROW -Marsilea crenata

Are you a nature lover? follow me on instagram
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
blesser13 is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 06:35 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
ArchimedesTheDog's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Posts: 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by blesser13 View Post
Original light is not good enough for DHG, but i had good results with Eleocharis vivipara ( Hairgrass ), just need to keep it short =), ADA soil is great
Yeah, I'd for sure upgrade the light for DHG. I had a CurrentUSA Satellite Freshwater+ (not the pro) on my Spec V and my DHG didn't die, but it didn't spread at all, it just sat there looking nice. I did NOT have CO2, just used Excel.

--


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ArchimedesTheDog is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 06:46 PM
Algae Grower
 
blesser13's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 147
DHG is very tricky, without co2 is possible but you should just go with something more easy

Are you a nature lover? follow me on instagram
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
blesser13 is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 11:30 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
Bananableps's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: New York City
Posts: 1,169
I hate to sound like a broken record, but DHG is an easy low-tech carpeting plant if you use dirt.
Bananableps is offline  
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Charlotte, NC, USA
Posts: 5
Thank you very much!!
ryanswis is offline  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome