2.5g nano journal (first journal) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 03:51 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
2.5g nano journal (first journal)

Hello all,I am starting a 2.5 gallon planted tank and would appreciate any feedback and/or comments on where I am at so far. I have my hardscape pretty much set and have been thinking about a few planting ideas. in the gravel I was going to do a glosso carpet covering all visible gravel. On the slate cave I am debating whether to keep it exposed or to attach java moss to it and have a moss cave. What do you think?

Last edited by della; 02-01-2011 at 04:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 04:41 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (56/100%)
I think Mini Pellia would look good covering the slate, though it is somewhat expensive to purchase.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 05:31 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
if you switched to a soil based nutritious substrate then i would go for a glosso/ dwarf baby tear mix.

And have it running all thru the rock crevices.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 05:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)
I would put Weeping Moss on the cave to make it weep over it

But then again, it does look good like that.

Eheim Classic 2213
Eheim Pimp #341

post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 05:50 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Hybrid had some great advice, switching to a nutrient rich substrate will be much better for the plants, and will be less frusturating for you.
Dwarf Baby tears would look verry good crawling across all the slate.
I would also add a black backround.

Excellent scape overall!

2.5 Planted Nano Puffer Tank

20 Long Community
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yeah I am definately going to change to a better substrate. I don't have much experience with the mini pellia or baby tears. Looks like mini pellia is a moss I think that would look good growing on the slate. Will baby tears attatch to rocks the way moss does?
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 05:32 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Nice looking scape, let us know how it goes... and if you do baby tears, make sure to look into good lighting, ferts, and co2.

[50g][
][
][
][
][
][
][
][
][3g][2.1g] - [
] [
][
]
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 05:36 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (56/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitFUUL View Post
Nice looking scape, let us know how it goes... and if you do baby tears, make sure to look into good lighting, ferts, and co2.
And be sure to purchase dwarf baby tears and not baby tears.

I still think Mini Pellia would look better covering the cave than having HC overrun it. Plus, it would be less maintenance since you don't have to trim it nearly as often (if at all).

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 07:35 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Great work with those rocks i've never seen that before! I think I might try somthing like that later when I redo my tank.

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 04:10 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Okay so I got a bag of onyx sand (going to try the black sand look hopefully it will be a nice contrast with the slate) and materials to set up DIY co2. Going to change the substrate and silicon the slate this weekend will have more pictures soon. Thanks for all the feedback so far everyone.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 05:14 AM
Algae Grower

Looks great. I have one question for you, did you purchase the rock or did you find it? I ask because it looks like shale and it can often have calcium carbonates, which is soluble in water and increases water hardness. You can test this by purchasing hydrochloric acid, or white vinegar and applying it to the rock to see if it fizzes.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 05:35 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I am not 100% sure all the piceces came from the same source but I had slabs of slate from a masonry place that I broke up. Even if for some reason it was shale would the hardness have a negative effect on plants and I also plan on a colony of shrimp?
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 04:17 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by della View Post
I am not 100% sure all the piceces came from the same source but I had slabs of slate from a masonry place that I broke up. Even if for some reason it was shale would the hardness have a negative effect on plants and I also plan on a colony of shrimp?
I am not certain since I am a beginner myself. I know much more about rocks than I do fish or aquatic plants. I do know that fish specifically can be very sensitive to water hardness, thats why I would suggest doing the aforementioned test. If the test results in a reaction I would make a post about it, and list the fish/shrimp you plan on using in the tank so more qualified individuals can offer their insight.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 04:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
that looks AWESOME!

A word of caution. Bot Java moss and Glosso require training to grow nice. Java will spread like a fire if you dont trim it OFTEN. It can be quite tedious. Consider using Fissidens as grows more compact. As for the glosso, this will also require constant trimming to force it to grow into a carpet. HC (drarf baby tears) seems to spread faster and requires a lot less maintenance.

Either way, with a well planed hardscape like yours. its going to look amazing.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 12:57 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Okay so I did some work to the tank this weekend. I changed the old substrate to flourite onyx sand. I tested the rocks they are slate. I siliconed the hardscape together to make 5 pieces and put a black background on. I ordered mini pellia, dwarf hairgrass for the back ground and dwarf baby tears which should come wednesday. The DIY CO2 is all set up and the bubble counter is made. I will have more pics later this week hopefully all planted. Since I forgot to do this before I will list my equipment.

Lighting: Coralife 18 watt 9 inch light. I took one of the bulbs out to make it 9 watts so 3.6 wpg. Anyone think I should put the other bulb back in?

Filter: Red Sea Nano filter with Aquaclear sponge and carbon. I took Red Sea's media out I dont like it that much.

CO2: All DIY with air diffuser

Heating: No heater for now my room stays warm. In the winter I have a Marinelife heater for up to 3 gallons.

I Plan on having a colony of about a dozen Yellow Shrimp.

Last edited by della; 02-01-2011 at 04:59 AM.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode