• 2 Post By Opare
  • 2 Post By mageikman32

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-20-2016, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
First Planted Tank

Sorry for long post in advance :-)

Hey guys my name is Chris and i have been reading lots of post on this forum for about a month or so deciding if i wanted to give my hand a try at it and well yesterday i pulled the trigger and got a tank. :-) After reading lots of different post and looking at endless amounts of websites and videos i'm still a little confused on a few things.

First substrate, i purchased all my ferts like Tourmaline BC, Clear Super, Bacter 100, PenacP and also have my ADA Amazonia aqua soil. Now the part that i'm stuck on is am i going to need Power Sand for my bottom layer before i add my aqua soil? Seen people say yes people say no now i'm not sure.

As far as what i'm going to do with my tank i'm going to try and do a Carpet style setup with a Bonsai Driftwood as main focal point. The plant i decided to go with is going to be Micranthemum 'Monte Carlo for floor coverage and riccardia chamedryfolia for the branches on my Bonsai.

So with all that being said i would love to get everyone's input on this since like i said this is my first planted tank and i'm sure many people on here have tons of experience.

Equipment
-Dennerle 10g scapers tank
-Dennerle Canister filter
-Aqua LED Light 4.8W about 10500K
-C02 i haven't decided what i'm going to do as far what kind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 12:50 AM
Wannabe Guru

You can skip the Power Sand, but use it if you want. Just remember not to use too much or else it becomes a pain, a lesson I have learnt.
You could probably get away without pressurised CO2, but it could help things go smoother.
You also will need to consider a few fertilisers since Aquasoil doesn't have everything your plants need. But your plant choices aren't super demanding so you won't need to go all out to like an EI method. Just an ocassional dose of K, micros and P should be sufficient.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 01:14 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

well i was going to do a C02 setup no matter what and what fertilizers do you recommend? and you said an ocassional dose of K, Mircos and P..this is my first planted tank so i'm not sure what those are could you specify a little thank you

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 01:21 AM
Wannabe Guru

Oh okay gotcha on the CO2.
K is potassium, P is phosphorus and they are 2 parts of your macro nutrients which plants need the most of, which also includes Nitrogen which the Aquasoil can provide. Micros are nutrients like Iron which plants use in smaller quantities.
The dry salts of these nutrients are the cheapest way to go. KH2PO4 for a bit of potassium and also your phosphate, K2SO4 for the remainder of your potassium needs and a micro mix like CSM+B. You could actually dose nitrogen as well and follow the Estimative Index method but that may be overkill for your tank. I do recommend you read up on it.
https://www.ukaps.org/index.php?page...with-dry-salts
This is a very good article.
You could also dose liquid fertilisers and since you have the ADA substrate system you could use their line, but liquid fertilisers are less cost effective than their dry cousins. Seachem also has a line of liquid fertilisers which are basically diluted versions of the salts I mentioned before. You could see it as a simpler method to dose using the liquid fertilisers.

mageikman32 and mageikman32 like this.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 01:51 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

ahh ok yea i just looked up the Seachem line up think this is what you are talking about right?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_1.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	692330  

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 02:15 AM
Wannabe Guru

First Planted Tank

Errr not quite that plant pack contains fertilisers that provide micros and organic carbon, you still need macros.
Also 100ml isn't a lot.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 02:16 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Oh ok gotcha I'll keep looking into it then

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
Opare and Opare like this.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 02:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opare View Post
Errr not quite that plant pack contains fertilisers that provide micros and organic carbon, yoy still need macros.
Also 100ml isn't a lot.

Man keeping coral in my saltwater tank seems so much easier now then a planted tank lol

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode