2Likes
  • 2 Post By ChemGuyEthan
  • 2 Post By Kamiano

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fluval chi

Well I have one that I got a while back for $15 and I instantly took the filter and light off. I made a cover out of some scrap wood my dad had in the garage and took apart an old 10 gallon hood and attached the lighting to the cover. It now has 2 13w 6500k cfls over it. Thing is I have no idea how to scape it lol. Anyone have any planted fluval chi?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 09:43 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/12...tml?highlight=

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 02:56 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)
I had one for a while. Check out my signature for the link (I believe there's actually two different scapes in that thread I attempted). The height can be a bit challenging depending on what kind of plants you want to grow. Best of luck!

Old tanks, all torn down:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-
-
-

Hope to get a new tank (or two) up soon...

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemGuyEthan View Post
I had one for a while. Check out my signature for the link (I believe there's actually two different scapes in that thread I attempted). The height can be a bit challenging depending on what kind of plants you want to grow. Best of luck!
Yeah that's what I'm noticing the height kills my creativity lol. Looked through your journals and you have such nice tanks.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Also being a 16 year old kid and explaining to my parents why I need to buy a $30 stick is hard lol. So I end up scaping with lava rocks that I collect from my grandpa's farm lol. I can never quite get that nice scape

Above

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 04:17 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamiano View Post
Yeah that's what I'm noticing the height kills my creativity lol. Looked through your journals and you have such nice tanks.

Haha, thanks. None of those are up and running anymore, though I'm working on a new 12 long tank... it takes a lot of time, patience, practice, and plenty of mistakes to become good with planted tanks or really anything for that matter (though compared to many, I'm not very good at this stuff).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamiano View Post
Also being a 16 year old kid and explaining to my parents why I need to buy a $30 stick is hard lol. So I end up scaping with lava rocks that I collect from my grandpa's farm lol. I can never quite get that nice scape

Above

Hey sometimes you've gotta work with what you have, no reason not to if it's something you enjoy and because you're still getting practice with layouts and scaping. I'm currently fortunate enough to have the funds to spare on this sort of thing (though I'm sure I spend more than I should), but not everyone is so fortunate (plus you're young so you'll get there, haha). There are plenty of fantastic scapes that can be made with the humble lava rock. And lava rock works great for attaching plants like buce, anubias, and moss. So even if you don't like the look of them, just cover them up with plants, haha. No need to spend tons of money on rocks and wood.
Powerclown and Powerclown like this.

-
-
-
-

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 04:33 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
That's great that you are using whats available to you. I ended up "permanently borrowing" some rocks from my community park. If you don't have one that you like from those, you can always glue some together to build them up. Keep it up and keep us posted!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Grabbed some sag and wisteria clippings.

Econde and Econde like this.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 03:25 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Good choice. The wisteria (also called hygrophila difformis, assuming I spelled that right) will grow crazy in there. The stuffs a weed, so it'll help fill things in in no time. I've no experience with dwarf sag, but I don't think it's very difficult to keep alive. Keep up the good work!

-
-
-
-

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 01:47 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
I'd love to have a pile of lava rock to pick from for my similarly shaped Marineland Portrait. Like Econde said you can glue them together. I know you've already got a layout going but do a Google search for "lava rock aquascape" and look at the pictures. There's some pretty amazing stuff.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode