Moving a Mini-M - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (80/100%)
Moving a Mini-M

So I thought I had the perfect plan. I would do my emersed planting on my Mini-M and during the months it took to grow out I could work on the stand I was building for it. Then I would move the tank to the new stand and fill it. Now that I read in the Mini-M instructions that it's not safe to move the tank once you have substrate in it. I know there is some weight to it, but with a rimmed tank I wouldn't hesitate moving it like that. However, not being willing to damage the Mini-M I'm all the sudden I bit concerned.

Anybody successfully move a Mini-M with substrate with an inch or two of water in it?

Last thing I'd want to do it to break the darn thing.

Thanks for the advice!

Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 10:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
I havent moved a Mini-M but I have moved plenty of tanks with a few inched of water and fish and shrimp in them. If you can keep it stable the gravel shouldn't shift much at all. The only thing is it stirs up crap in the water making it cloudy for bit.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yeah, me too. But, I've never done it with one of these new fangled all glass no frame deals. Just making me a bit nervous.......

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 10:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
I have moved a few all glass tanks (no trimming and such) I wrapped mine in a huge comforter blanket so that it was super padded, however I only transported it 15-20 miles at most.

How far are you going?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 10:31 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (56/100%)
With my Mini M, which you are familiar with (), I moved it from the person's house who I purchased it from, to my car, to my house, and then finally, to the stand it is now resting on. This was with the wet aquasoil and rockscape still in the tank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

How far am I moving it? Across the room at the most

Dan, great to hear. That's exactly what I'd be doing with it, only mine would just be a few feet.

OK then, time to start things up. Next stop, kick off a journal.

And look at the bright side - if it does crack when I move it at least it will liven up the journal a bit!

Thanks for the advice!

Tom
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 10:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)
I moved a rimless 10 gallon with 2" of substrate, 4 rocks, and a piece of driftwood. Just carry it yourself (or get someone else to help you) to where you want it to go.

Eheim Classic 2213
Eheim Pimp #341

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 10:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)
I moved my mini m with a few inches of water in it a pretty considerable amount of space with no issues. I just drained it down and put it in the back of a car on the floor board behind the passenger seat.

I did this twice in a year.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 11:36 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)
I moved my Mini-M with substrate and some water about 1000 miles. I always bring it into the kitchen (with substrate and even hardscape) to do a rescape. You should have no trouble moving it a few feet

|

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 10:08 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
I moved my mini-M this past weekend, from one of the room to another. I popped off one of the shelves from an Ikea bookshelf and slide the tank onto that... I then used the shelf to carry the tank across the room.

I had all the rockscape and soil in there, with about 3" of water.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Great feedback. Thanks all.

Looks like it's time to get emersing.

Tom

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode