Soon to start my first planted tank, advice wanted. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Talking Soon to start my first planted tank, advice wanted.

hello, ive been keeping saltwater tanks for a few years now and for my next tank i wanted to try something different. so i will be starting a freshwater planted nano with a few small fish and easy to keep plants.
Right now all i have is the tank, its a standard 10gl.

Heres what im thinking for the setup, 3in of black flourite, a hang on power filter for water movement and to keep the heater in. But as for the light im realy not sure. im used to saltwater so i want as much power as i can get but i understand that more light requires Co2 and i only plan to dose excel. So my first real question is what light to get, heres a rough stocking list so you know what i plan to keep.

a Dwarf hairgrass lawn will take up most of the space in front.
In the mid-section i plan to have a large peice of driftwood coverd in java moss.
Dwarf anubis in the foreground.
Needle spike rush near the back. Baby tears in the back.
java fern.
Bacopa monnieri.
And stargrass to cover the back panel.

ive looked them up and the ones ive listed seem to be fairly easy to keep but im sure somone will chime in. As for fish i would like a small (6-7) school of ember tetras, one stand alone show fish maybe a fancy male guppy? and a small cory or two, But the one thing i know i must have is a small group of red cherry shrimp, if i need to drop anything to make that happen ill do it.

Ok have at it, ill post picks after i get somthing in the tank, hope it all goes well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Okay so msc sent me a great link and i now have a good idea as to what lighting to get, im thinking two 14wat cfl's wich on a 10gl would be 28wats and just about were i need to be but hte only problem is they run at 5k, wich is a bit bellow the range it should be, is that going to be a problem?
Also from reading a lil more in msc's link i think ill stear clear of excel just to keep things simple. if that sounds ok i guess im on to stocking, any ideas on my list?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The tanks all set up now. My lighting is two 5500k cfl's and ill start dosing ferts soon, no Co2 or water changes. Id like some advice on what plants to get next. im going to add a small patch of sand in the front middle and would like to get a low growing carpeting plant to cover the flourite. Any suggestions? any ideas on other plants i should get. My stocking list is going to be 5 threadfin rainbows and 10 cherry red shrimp BTW.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 08:04 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
I suspect you've got too much light over the tank to be able to skip CO2 or Excel. A single 15 watt T8 strip would probably work better.

I also wouldn't go with threadfin rainbows if you want to skip water changes, I'd go with just shrimp or some hardier fish, perhaps some zebra danios or something along those lines.

Marselia minuta would probaly work nicely as a carpeting plant in your tank.

You need to make sure the rhizome (the thick green "stem" that the leaves and roots grow out of) is not buried on your Java ferns. The rhizome needs to remain exposed to light or it will rot and the plant will die.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Cool, i didnt know that about java ferns. As for the lighting its only 14wts a peice @ 5500k so about 28wts total.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 08:22 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

Yup, which puts you in the "medium light" category for a 10gal tank, so you'll probably need to supplement carbon and ferts in order to avoid raising an algae farm.

Alternatively, you could let the hornwort grow across the surface of the tank for light control, that may work as well.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Darn, i thought i had a good set up. lower lights it is. Ill start reserching hardier fish too, hopefully somthing a bit more "elegant" than danios.
as a side note, do you know if i should bury the bulb of plants that....well, have them?

Last edited by strapingyunglad; 07-15-2010 at 08:49 PM. Reason: im a dumie hue cante spel
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 08:49 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

Most bulb plants you only bury about the bottom 1/3 to 1/2 the bulb, and make sure the pointy end is sticking up.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quick q about dosing, I plant to dose seachem equilibrium, KNO3, KH2 PO2 but the dosing amount online says to do 1/8tsp of one 1/16 of another and 1/64 of another. how in the world am i supposed to figure that out? is there an easier way to measure my ferts? or can i get a spoon set that goes to 1/64th tspn?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 08:55 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (56/100%)
What type of bulb are you using and how are they mounted (vertically or horizontally)? If you are using spiral CFL bulbs mounted horizontally, you should be in the low light region.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

horizontal spiral cfl's. the artical ive been reading outlines the setup for a lowtec tank and it calls for ferts. heres the link.
http://www.sudeepmandal.com/hobbies/...uide/#lighting

Tags
10gl, nano, new tank

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode