What to do with a 5 gallon? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 02:22 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
What to do with a 5 gallon?

So, my five gallon recently opened up, and is now free to new ideas, which I have none of right now. I need suggestions, and any would be welcome.
One idea I had was to have a shallow white sand substrate with a couple medium rocks, and no plants besides some floating plants (maybe) and have like 6 white cloud minnows.
Another idea I had was to a java moss only tank, with white cloud minnows.
Or, try doing one with a giant stack of golf ball sized rocks with moss or something stuffed in between them, with red cherry shrimp.

So, a recurring theme is white cloud minnows, which I found out one of my LFS sells, so I kind of wanted something revolving around them, but I think a 5 gallon may be too small (I like empty looking tanks), I have some ideas but now need moar! I have an AquaClear Mini (20) as filtration, I also have a heater, but doubt I will need it since it's so hot right now.

Please

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 02:27 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to garuf
I don't think the tank would be big enough for white clouds personally. Rice fish definitely but not white clouds. Shrimp would be perfect. George farmer did a white cloud biotope, that with added moss would be amazing but not in a 5g.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 02:38 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by garuf View Post
I don't think the tank would be big enough for white clouds personally. Rice fish definitely but not white clouds. Shrimp would be perfect. George farmer did a white cloud biotope, that with added moss would be amazing but not in a 5g.
Hmm, that's what I thought with the white clouds, will just have to wait until I get my 20 gallon in order then I guess. I'm intrigued by this rice fish you speak of, but I couldn't find anything on google about them (came up with a lot of recipes though) could you please tell me more?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 02:45 AM
Wannabe Guru

Yeah sure, one sec I'll find you a link.
http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...=&oq=&gs_rfai=

Those are the ones. Most are tiny so you could happily get say 6-8 in a 5 gal.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 03:02 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Couldn't find a place to buy them for a decent price, the only place online I found that sold them had a minimum order of 50 required.

Will just do shrimp, CRS/CBS OK for 5 gallon?

post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 03:08 AM
Wannabe Guru

Oh don't get me wrong you could do fish, Franks is very good, they have a mutual supplier of fish as a shop in the uk and the fish are very good.
Microdevario kubotai
Boraras merah
Boraras micros
Would all be good choices.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 03:19 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by garuf View Post
Oh don't get me wrong you could do fish, Franks is very good, they have a mutual supplier of fish as a shop in the uk and the fish are very good.
Microdevario kubotai
Boraras merah
Boraras micros
Would all be good choices.
Yeah, but with shipping and everything, it ends up around 50 for six, now instead of RCS, I'm thinking CBS/CRS (I'm so indecisive ), how could I do the pile of rocks? If I made a mound, I fear there will be worms or something living in the middle, where no light would reach.

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 03:35 AM
Wannabe Guru

There will always be grubs and stuff living in substrate, it's better that there is than there isn't. Just pile it up and see how it goes, nanos are lovely for quick cheap scapes, just have a look what you want, and have fun.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 03:43 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Should I tie the moss to the rocks or just stack the rocks on top of it?

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 03:46 AM
Wannabe Guru

Tie it to small pourous pebbles or slate ideally though depending on moss it should attach of it's own accord to most anything with time.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

What kind of moss? I wanted something that grows fast and attaches well, Java Moss?

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 03:33 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VincentK View Post
What kind of moss? I wanted something that grows fast and attaches well, Java Moss?

java moss is the hardiest but you could also try Christmas and Taiwan moss. I found that Christmas moss dosen't grow in my tank however and I think its because the temperatures are in the high 70's

2.5 Gallon Iwagumi

post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 05:05 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)
I think your moss choice depends on your lighting. Java moss would be good for a low light tank. In a high light tank you might want something such as Fissidens that grows more slowly.

10 gallon QT turned "Refugee Tank." Currently home to 5 Clown Killys (too small for the main tank) 3 Sterbai Corys (too shy) 1 S. Lineolata (too grumpy) and a bunch of Tiger Shrimp (to shrimpy)

6 gal Eclipse coming soon (cycling now)
2.5 gal ditto
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Would a yellow CFL be fine? Or would a daylight bulb be required? I only have Java Moss and will probably get some Java Ferns, but that's about it.

post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 06:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

More or less any flouro bulb will grow plants it's what is most aesthetically pleasing to you. What are your dimensions? There are lots of clip on/small luminaires available on ebay or you could diy something. A pair of pll tubes being ideal.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode