6 gallon Bookshelf - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
6 gallon Bookshelf

Decided on a bit of a whim to get back at this after a 10 year vacation from having to take care of any fishtanks. I ran a couple fish stores for the better part of 13 years a long time ago and was just over it. After some initial settling in with the wood going all crazy with bacterial growth things have started to settle in nicely. Just hit the 30 day mark today. Thought I would post a little before and after of day 1 to day 30. The monte-carlo had a bit of a melt down early on but is starting to come back nicely. The spiralis has been doing exceptionally well with the exception of the left most corner. Crypt melt likely, could be too much flow when they first went in, it got a little beat up. Christmas moss is going kinda nuts.

PetCo 6 gallon bookshelf
Finnex 24/7 running 8 hours at max (4 in morning 4 in the evening)
Seachem Humate substrate

Greenleaf EI fertilizer dosing when I'm home. I travel for work so I dose heave before I leave and WC when I get home.
Paintball C02 system on the cheap

1 betta
6 Pearl Danio
Some cherry shrimp.
A couple of Ottos

Micranthemum monte-carlo
Crypt. Spiralis
Christmas moss

It's been a fun trip getting back into all of this. Obviously the Betta likes hanging out over there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VZM_1478123559217.IMG_20161102_131055.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	185.8 KB
ID:	686617  

Name:	IMG_20161102_180747.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	686625  

Cokeman, Cokeman, Opare and 5 others like this.

Last edited by [email protected]; 11-02-2016 at 10:13 PM. Reason: uploaded wrong picture
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 02:21 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)
Looking good! And yeah I bet the betta is happy in there, haha. Gotta trim that christmas moss though... Welcome back to the planted tanks. I too had lost the vibe for a bit. I had tanks up until about 3 or 4 months ago now, but had honestly lost some interest before then. Though my break was much shorter than yours, it's reinspired me a bit to pick it up again.

Anyway, you're definitely off to a good start getting back into the hobby.

Old tanks, all torn down:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-
-

Hope to get a new tank (or two) up soon...
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 03:48 AM
Algae Grower

Does Petco still sell that aquarium? I've been looking for a decent little rimless that has clear silicone.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 04:10 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

They do still sell it as far as I know.

It's a 24" acrylic bowfront. It has a black rim that comes with it, I ran it for a while but popped it off a few weeks ago, it just looks cleaner. If I remember correctly the "kit" with light and filter ran like 60 bucks. They're really rad little tanks.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 04:24 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Welcome back. You will love the hobby more now that it is for your own fun instead of got work.

I love the tank. Pretty Betta too.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 05:19 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottoblock View Post
Does Petco still sell that aquarium? I've been looking for a decent little rimless that has clear silicone.

I just saw them, they are labeled something different now though. When I saw it it was packaged as the "Livingston." It seems like a great tank, but cheap acrylic that will scratch really easy. I almost got one except for that reason.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-04-2016, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

They definitely scratch easy. With the exception of one little spot in the right corner I'm getting nearly no algae at all. An easy scrub down with a Viva paper towel takes care of it without too much fuss.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Took another shot today of the growth. First planted on September 23rd.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	VZM_1480295824424.IMG_20161127_184450.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	694490  

tlriot, tlriot, nel and 3 others like this.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 03:39 AM
Planted Member

Beautiful! I love the growth it's seeing with those crypts. I'd get to trimming that moss down a bit. I'm thinking about picking up this tank, so it's nice to see how professional it can look for such an affordable tank.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2017, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Figured I would update. Not the best picture in the world but I've let the tank change directions. The spiralis got a bit out of hand and as expected the moss went haywire. I've been working on getting each of those out, both are prooving difficult. Working on getting the rotala to grow. I believe it's rotala anyway, it was a single red sprig floating in a tank at the LFS. It's doing pretty well. The Monte Carlo just got a massive haircut so it's a little yellow in the picture.

Dosing remains the same and I'm still using the 24/7 setting on the finnex.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20170609_102039_1497042620309.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	763593  

Powerclown and Powerclown like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode