2 Gallon Nano Shrimp Tank - The Planted Tank Forum
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-29-2016, 05:33 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
2 Gallon Nano Shrimp Tank

Just starting up my second planted tank ( I can feel MTS developing thankfully I'm limited by living with my parents ) Hoping to breed some RCS as they are awsome and my LFS will buy them off me. After any Suggestions for other plants or ideas

Tank:
8L (2 Gallon) 20cm cube.

Equipment:
Clamp on Desk lamp with 7w Led Bulb 6000K ( can get a 9w if plants struggle)
HBO filter from a 5 Gallon tank don't no the name of it. I will remove the cartridges and replace with bio media and sponges. Will also put some stocking over the intake pipe to prevent shrimp deaths.

Substrate:
Pisces Diamon Black Gravel ( same size as river sand which I have in my other planted tank )

Fertiliser:
Seachem Florish Root Tabs
Continuum Aquatics Flora-Viv Prolifia ( carbon additive I use instead of excel )
Continuum Aquatics Flora-Viv ( Fertislizer without nitrtate and phosphorus)

Hardscape:
15cm Goldvine (has not arrived yet )

Plants: (clipings from other tank)
Taiwan Moss
Peacock Moss
rotala rotundifolia
HM ( tiny amount as it isn't growing in larger tank)
Either Narrow Leaf Java Fern, java fern with crinkly ends not sure of the name or Anubis

Inhabitants:
Red Cherry Shrimp
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3530_1477715437422.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	684889  

Name:	IMG_3529_1477715502788.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	684897  

BettaBettas and BettaBettas like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-29-2016, 06:24 AM
Algae Grower

Cool! Excited to see updates!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-30-2016, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Setup the filter today, need to get some black stocking instead. Added in the substrate, hopefully it holds the slope nicely.

Also planted some HM to see if it will grow and a few other random cuttings from the larger tank.

Hopefully the driftwood will be here soon and I can aquascape.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3531_1477816575992.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	685425  

Name:	IMG_3532_1477816623964.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	685433  

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 03:27 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Any ideas on whether this tank will be Low/Medium/High Light, I'm looking at getting some Alternanthera reineckii 'Mini' and Cryptocoryne parva for the tank as well.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 06:08 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Just got news that the driftwood has arrived at my LFS so I will be doing some aquascaping tonight and hopefully throw in a Shrimp from my other tank to seen how it goes (I am using filter media from my cycled tank the seed the new filter)
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Just got my driftwood in had two gorgeous pieces but one was two big sadly ( had a gorgeous knot it in ) but I will just use it in my bigger tank. Back to the Nano I'm happy with this piece just need to cut it so it fits and use the small bits leftover sticking out of the substrate
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3533_1477901291288.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	685809  

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 01:39 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Finished Aquascaping last night, Im really happy with how it looks but open to suggestions,
Plants are as follows -
rotala rotundifolia in the Back corner under the driftwood
Random Medium Sized Crypt in the other corner, will go purple hopfully
Narrow leaf Java fern on the driftwood and HM around the front
Also the Moss up the top is taiwan moss.

Thinking about getting some Cryptocoryne parva as a middle plant and some Alternanthera reineckii 'Mini' to go behind the driftwood, But i won't be getting that for a while ( plants are very expensive in Australia )

The water was a bit cloudy this morning so I will do a water change when I finished work and Add a shrimp from my other tank (If I can catch one) as I am using mature filter media in the tank.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3534.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	686041  

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 08:11 PM
Algae Grower

Nice wood and scape! Looking good.

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-04-2016, 01:38 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The driftwood is releasing a heap of tannins so I am doing a water change every 2 days, am I able to add the new shrimp to this environment or should I wait (the two shrimp I have in there don't seem bothered by the tannins ). The plants seem to be growing fine in the badly stained water as well.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Plants are growing great and the water is clearing up, Had to buy a new filter as the one I had (Cheap AquaWorld) wasn't working correctly. I Bought an AquaOne Clearview 100 Hangover back. I know its a bit of an overkill but its the only one my LFS has and It has an adjustable flow so it has made the water crystal Clear.
I will take some pictures when I finish work (its 9:30Am here in Australia).
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-09-2016, 08:54 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowsfishworld View Post
Plants are growing great and the water is clearing up, Had to buy a new filter as the one I had (Cheap AquaWorld) wasn't working correctly. I Bought an AquaOne Clearview 100 Hangover back. I know its a bit of an overkill but its the only one my LFS has and It has an adjustable flow so it has made the water crystal Clear.
I will take some pictures when I finish work (its 9:30Am here in Australia).
I've always been in love with the Azoo Palm filter for small tanks. They are really customizable for such a small HOB, and have an adjustable flow, and are stupid cheap.

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-10-2016, 07:44 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'm very limited in my area and was lucky to find that. I live in rural Australia so not much is available. Just took some pictures of the plants and the tank. I have new plants coming soon I've got narrow ludwigia, narrow leaf chain sword and blyxa japonica. Not sure if I will put all of them in the Nano some will go in my 10 Gallon. Anyways super happy with the growth this light works awesome and produces no heat. Welcome to suggestion for placing of plants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 gallon low tech jungle
5 gallon low tech shrimp tank
6 gallon low/high tech Aquascape
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

After a few weeks and a couple more plants my shrimp tank is finally looking great. They new shrimp are loving the environment they r molting and getting berried. Probably need to trim it soon though starting to look like a jungle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BettaBettas and BettaBettas like this.

10 gallon low tech jungle
5 gallon low tech shrimp tank
6 gallon low/high tech Aquascape
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 11:33 PM
Algae Grower

I kind of like the jungle look in this tank. Since it's a relatively tall tank the taller plants fill it in nicely. But it wouldn't hurt to trim and replant the cuttings. Looking sweet! Nice shrimp too

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-24-2016, 04:19 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I think I will just trim and replant the HM at the bottom, it's really starting to take off and im going to try and get it to carpet the front corner infront of the Rotala Rotundifolia. Going to let the rest keep growing because I might be setting up a 5 Gallon Betta and Shrimp Tank soon ( not sure if it will be Betta and Snack tank) for my mothers current betta, he is beautiful but is just in a unfilter bowl sadly. She loves my shrimp tank so I will be slowly creating one for her from my old 5 gallon.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in