3G Nano Cube Adventure - The Planted Tank Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 04:45 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/89%)
3G Nano Cube Adventure

I convinced my roommate to dive into the planted tank world. She got herself a little 3G cube tank from amazon.

Plants currently in tank:
Anibus Nana
Dwarf Hairgrass

Medium:
FloraMax

Tank accessories:
Stock Marineland Filter
50W Heater
WalMart Architect Light + 75W 5000k LED Bulb

Ferts:
None Dosed (AquariumFertilizer.com EI Soon)
Co2 Soon! (Paintball Method)

Live Stock:
1 Betta
1 Nitrite Snail
Cherry Shrimp soon (Anyone selling?)
Can anyone make any suggestions for a good small school tank mate for this betta? I was thinking a couple of cobra guppies?

24Oct2016

Mr.Rosas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Drzjunior; 10-25-2016 at 02:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 06:26 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I think you would be hard pressed to fit in tank mates at that size of aquarium.
Really nice Betta!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
houseofcards and houseofcards like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks! Surprised we found him at pet smart. I was thinking the same, may just have to stick to shrimp

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 07:49 PM
Planted Member

Gorgeous betta!

That's actually the 3g version of my tank. Great little kit for the price!

I second no schooling fish in there. Even without the betta, it's not enough space for them. Shrimp (probably a pair of amanos would be best, but I'd try your betta with cheap ghost shrimp first) and snails would be all that can really go into the tank. I'm running into the same problem where shrimp and snails are not available here, so I have no cleaners helping me out.

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-26-2016, 02:42 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlriot View Post
Gorgeous betta!

That's actually the 3g version of my tank. Great little kit for the price!

I second no schooling fish in there. Even without the betta, it's not enough space for them. Shrimp (probably a pair of amanos would be best, but I'd try your betta with cheap ghost shrimp first) and snails would be all that can really go into the tank. I'm running into the same problem where shrimp and snails are not available here, so I have no cleaners helping me out.
Thank you! I just checked out your journal, you have a pretty nice pretty as well. We just finished ordering some cherry shrimp, going to pick up some ghost shrimp tomorrow to see how the betta reacts to them.
tlriot and tlriot like this.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-27-2016, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Added 3 ghost shrimp and another nerite snail. Sadly only 1 survived the stressful transition from the pet store, it's holding eggs so maybe they are fertizilied and soon to have more. Cherries coming in tomorrow! The betta doesn't seem to bother the shrimp too much. Hair grass showing some progress!

tlriot and tlriot like this.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-29-2016, 08:35 AM
Planted Member

That's too bad you lost a couple shrimp so soon. From my experience ghost shrimp are hit or miss. They die within hours or days, or you can't get rid of them no matter what. Does your shop have a guarantee on aquatic life?
BettaBettas and BettaBettas like this.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-29-2016, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlriot View Post
That's too bad you lost a couple shrimp so soon. From my experience ghost shrimp are hit or miss. They die within hours or days, or you can't get rid of them no matter what. Does your shop have a guarantee on aquatic life?
Got them at Petsmart, so I don't think so. Unfortunately all three shrimp did not make it. Also, cherry shrimp package arrived crushed, none of them madeit either DOA . Seller is willing to send a replacement.

Hair grass is doing very well though, shooters going everywhere, can't wait to get CO2 to see how the plants do from there.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-29-2016, 09:36 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
double post

Last edited by Kubla; 10-29-2016 at 09:49 PM. Reason: double post
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-29-2016, 09:47 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Petsmart is supposed to have a 14 day return on all live animals. You need a receipt, a body and a separate water sample.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 04:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
I tried keeping ghost shrimp then amano with one of my betta boys.. he killed and ate them (even though the shrimp were as big as him!). They are predators so you have to be mindful of that when putting something in with a betta. That said I had one very mellow betta (never flared in his life) that I could keep cherry shrimp with. He'd eat shrimplets but not the adults. Also 3rd (or is it 4th now?) the recommendation to not add other fish in a 3g with a betta. If you really want a school/shoal of something bump up to a 10g, but keep the 3g + heater and filter ready as the betta may not do well with tankmates and need separated (every betta's temperament is different).
BettaBettas and BettaBettas like this.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

~
~
~
~
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 05:28 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/88%)
betta and shrimps probably won't mix. even if they do for awhile, shrimps will feel stressed and die sooner than later. and, shrimps will eventually molt and make itself soft and delicious.

My journals:
-
-
-
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by etane View Post
betta and shrimps probably won't mix. even if they do for awhile, shrimps will feel stressed and die sooner than later. and, shrimps will eventually molt and make itself soft and delicious.
Got the cherry shrimp in today, all live in well. Hopefully this batch survives the tank. Pretty set on not adding anymore fish, just shrimp. I had good sucess with my last tank with a betta, cherry shrimp that reproduced like mad, and an algae eater. Updated some shots of the tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1626_1478129672741.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	686641  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1619_1478129690733.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	686649  

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 11:49 PM
Wannabe Guru

If that's the Tetra 3 gallon with LED light and filter why didn't you use the LED it came with? It gets pretty good reviews.

The 75 watt equivalent bulb over this tank is really overkill, I'm using a pair of 60 watt daylight LED A19 bulbs in shop reflectors over my 20 gallon, and it's almost too much light. I turn one one in the morning, and the 2nd on at about 10:00 AM 'til 3:30 PM when it's turned off. Even with DIY CO2 it's still liable to grow algae.

Starting small, keeping it simple..(?)
250 gallon stock tank, "pond"
20 gallon H CBS Shrimp tank

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrampsGrunge View Post
If that's the Tetra 3 gallon with LED light and filter why didn't you use the LED it came with? It gets pretty good reviews.

The 75 watt equivalent bulb over this tank is really overkill, I'm using a pair of 60 watt daylight LED A19 bulbs in shop reflectors over my 20 gallon, and it's almost too much light. I turn one one in the morning, and the 2nd on at about 10:00 AM 'til 3:30 PM when it's turned off. Even with DIY CO2 it's still liable to grow algae.
The LED did not reach the bottom of the tank too well, was not strong enough. I did not see any good reviews for growing plants on that specific light they include with the kit. The hair grass did not flourish, and in a couple of days I'll be setting up some pressurized CO2. I have no algae to report right now, but I usually keep the light fixture a decent distance from the tank to prevent this.

Tags
3gallon, nano, planted

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode