I'm starting a journal thread to share my experiences and also for my own good, it's nice to have a way to look back at the progression of a project.
My 12 gallon Nano Cube started it's life out as a reef tank. It was my first aquarium, well first since I was young and I always wanted a reef tank so I figured I would start out small to keep the expenses down....ha.
(I will post a link to a thread of my 12g becoming a reef after I get enough posts to be allowed(made that mistake once, went to post, it said no and I lost like 20 minutes worth of writing) A lot of the pictures are gone but you can get the just of it.)
After getting the 12g going and spending time looking at reef forums I got the urge for something bigger, guess starting cheap is fine if you stay there haha. After doing a lot of research and all that I decided to build a 70ish gallon reef.
(Again a link will be provided once I am can post time if you would like to see the 70 gallon being built.)
Originally I planned to keep both the 12g and the 70g going but soon realized I was spending most of my time on the 70g and the 12g got neglected so I decided to move everything from the 12 to the 70. The nano cube spent most of the last several year collecting dust in my basement occasionally getting the chance to do some work as a quarantine tank for new fish waiting to go in the big tank.
My brother recently set up a fresh water tank and it got me to thinking about setting up a planted tank of my own. I had always seen them at the store and in the back of my mind I though it would be cool to have on so I decided to dust off the old nano cube and give it a go. I don't have a lot of space and I would like to keep the expenses down(again as you can see from my reef threads ha) so the 12g Nano Cube should be perfect.
To get the tank ready I let it soak for a few days with a 1:10 mix of vinegar and water to remove the coralline algae that had built up on the black wall. I gave the tank a good rinse and then had to silicone some of the dividers in the back that had come loose. After the cleaning it looks as good as new minus a few scratches in the glass.
I have spent the last few days here checking things out on this site and have decided to start with a bag of black eco-complete for substrate and I picked up a cool looking piece of mopani to use as my hard scape.
Here is a picture of the mopani and the cleaned up tank.
I will have to trim it down a bit (it looks smaller in person) to get it to fit right but it should end up looking pretty nice. Right now its soaking in some fresh water to get it ready to go.
I am going to remove a couple of the lights I added to the hood and probably start out just running one bulb. Eventually I plan to add some type of CO2 system either DYI or store bought and then I will probably run 2 bulbs to give me more plant options
Once the silicone is dry I will add the substrate, hard-scape and let the tank cycle for a bit before adding any livestock. While the tank is cycling I will have time to research what livestock and plants I want to go with.
I am used to a reef tank were it's basically live rock and a protein skimmer so I still need to research filtration more but I think I will use bio balls in the back chambers along with a sponge filter and maybe some carbon.
Anyways that's the start of my project, any questions, comments or suggestions are always welcome.