Any Suggestions For a Background Plant For This New Scape? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)
Any Suggestions For a Background Plant For This New Scape?

This is my new 4 gallon Finnex. I started growing the HC emmersed about 10 days ago and have gradually added a few more plants. The HC is spreading quickly and the other plants seem to be doing well too. I'll add water once the carpet gets filled in more.

This tank will have pressurized CO2. Fauna is probably going to be a Scarlet Badis pair and some low grade CRS. Current Flora is HC, Downoi, Dwarf Hairgrass, Marimo Balls, and some Glosso. I might pull the Glosso, and put some moss on the rock, instead. BTW, the Marimo Balls don't live in the tank yet. I just threw them in there for the pic.

Any suggestions for what plant to put in the background behind the big rock? I want something with small leaves that won't disrupt the scale.

Comments and critiques are also welcome : )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5.30.2010.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	21041  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 09:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (59/100%)
Some thoughts:
Variegated Lindernia
Limnophila 'mini'
Rotala wallichii or vietnam

The tank looks really cool. I do hope you know that manzanita that thin will start breaking down after a few months. You should have time to build a nice 'scape around it, but it won't last forever.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 11:09 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
What Minsc said, but I did not know that about having thin manzanita.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 02:05 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
Tie some fissiden on that manzanita, it would look nice.
For the back ground, I would go with some Rotala Green narrow leaf since the stems cascade a bit on the rock and give a nice effect.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 02:23 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (71/100%)
I think the dwarf hair grass would be nice in the back. It should get tall enough to look nice back there.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 03:17 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I second Yikesjason. I did a 2.5 gallon and used hair grass as he background. it grows tall and think enough for a small tank.

2.5 Gallon Iwagumi

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 04:29 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Dwarf Sagittaria (Sagittaria subulata)?
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 11:04 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yikesjason View Post
I think the dwarf hair grass would be nice in the back. It should get tall enough to look nice back there.

I agree.

one thing:

thin out that plug of hairgrass you have in front of the rock (3-5 blades per plug) and spread the rest around the back. You don't want to plant eleocharis acicluaris densely.

some willow moss would look nice in the wood.

get rid of the marimo ball, imo.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions : )
This is my first time growing Dwarf hairgrass so I didn't realize it would get tall enough to work as a background. Maybe I will put some stems in at first to fill the tank more, then pull them once the "dwarf" hairgrass gets tall enough.
I like Minsc's idea of Rotala Vietnam and also NaturalWonder's idea of Rotala Green narrow leaf. I'm not familiar with that Rotala but I do like the idea of a cascading effect.

Mr. Fisher: After I planted the hairgrass, I realized that I should probably spread it out more; but it looked so pretty as one big clump that I decided to leave it. So far the clump is doing fine, and is already surrounded by a bunch of new shoots. Maybe it's just beginner's luck.

The other plants are doing well, too. The Glosso is getting taller and starting to climb up the rock, as I was hoping. I'll post more pics once I get the stems in.

Minsc: That thin piece of Manzanita has already been in another tank for about 9 months without any deterioration that I can see. I give the same wood to my birds to chew on. It only lasts about a month in their cage, but it seems to do fine in the fish tanks : )
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

We finally got around to filling this tank yesterday. Here's a pic of the new lay-out, which of course doesn't include any of the suggested background plants.
I decided to use the Tonina after seeing it in a nano on display at my lfs. I like that the Rotala sp. mini has the "cascading effect" over the driftwood that Naturalwonders mentioned.

Let me know what you think:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0223.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	21512  

Name:	IMG_0229.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	21513  

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 05:41 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
It's looking really nice. I think Rotala rotundifolia would be a better leaf size for the background rather than Tonina, but that's a nice plant, too. Is your water nice and soft for it?

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
It's looking really nice. I think Rotala rotundifolia would be a better leaf size for the background rather than Tonina, but that's a nice plant, too. Is your water nice and soft for it?
Funny, I actually started with R. rotundifolia (I think there's still a few sprigs hiding behind the rock) but replaced it with the Tonina after seeing how nice it looked in the nano I mentioned above. I would have agreed with you about the leaf size until I saw it used in a tank of similar size.

The tapwater here is ridiculously soft so the Tonina should do fine. GH and KH don't even register on my test kit. Thanks for checking, though : )
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 09:33 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Nice Finnex! I have one as well.

I wouldn't worry about the manzanita breaking down too quickly. I have a similarly thin branch that I've used for several years with no signs of degradation whatsoever. It's an extremely rot-resistant wood. The only thing that will happen is the bark will peel away in about three month's time exposing the light colored wood (which is nicer looking IMO).

When are you planning on adding the fauna? Is the tank fully cycled yet?

Tony

My

and my

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 03:36 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)
Cabomba Furcata

It isn't difficult to grow but it is not easy to get to look like that. It will always be red but not always that fluffy.

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLE041 View Post
Nice Finnex! I have one as well.

I wouldn't worry about the manzanita breaking down too quickly. I have a similarly thin branch that I've used for several years with no signs of degradation whatsoever. It's an extremely rot-resistant wood. The only thing that will happen is the bark will peel away in about three month's time exposing the light colored wood (which is nicer looking IMO).

When are you planning on adding the fauna? Is the tank fully cycled yet?
Thanks! Oddly, that driftwood has already been submerged in another tank for months and the bark seems unchanged.

I picked up two more Scarlet Badis yesterday so I now have three males. I was hoping to get females but they're so hard to find. An employee at the lfs suggested I make a trio instead of a pair to lessen the chance of aggression between the boys. I hope it works!

I will add all three of them to this tank once the new guys are out of quarantine. Then I'll add some CRS once the tank is a little more established.

This is the first time that I've planned out a tank in advance, as opposed to just making it up as I go along. I'm excited about how it's progressing.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode