jms' ADA 45p - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
jms
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
jms' ADA 45p

Well, I finally got my tank planted after about a month with only a couple stems and a few shrimp in it. This is just something I threw together, and we'll see how it goes over the next couple of months.

specs:
Tank: ADA 45P
Filter: Eheim 2213
Lighting: Catalina 20" with a 36w 7500k bulb (10 hour photo period)
Co2: 5lb. tank
Ferts: pfertz [n] [m] [p] [k]
Flora: Giant Hairgrass, Rotala.
Fauna: Glo lite tetras, and a few low grade CRS, and one hitch hiker amano

I need some flame moss for that wood (PM me if you have some cheap for sale)

pics: (sorry about the crappy cell phone quality, no batteries for the digital)

Last edited by jms; 07-26-2010 at 06:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 12:15 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Nice, like that driftwood, there's probably some flame moss on sale in SnS right now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 12:18 AM Thread Starter
jms
Algae Grower

I'll be keeping an eye out for some. I really like that wood too, lots of texture.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 12:31 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Spitfire696 is selling some, I told him to PM you

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 12:48 AM Thread Starter
jms
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by VincentK View Post
Spitfire696 is selling some, I told him to PM you
awesome, thanks a lot.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 03:04 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (56/100%)
Won't the bark rot off of the DW or have you used this piece before in success?

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 03:14 AM Thread Starter
jms
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj2005 View Post
Won't the bark rot off of the DW or have you used this piece before in success?
I actually was wondering the same thing. At my LFS they have a whole bin of this DW. It's a piece of ADA wood so I would assume it's aquarium ready. But I guess we'll see.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 03:45 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (56/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jms View Post
I actually was wondering the same thing. At my LFS they have a whole bin of this DW. It's a piece of ADA wood so I would assume it's aquarium ready. But I guess we'll see.
I think UG uses a piece with some bark still on it and, from his pictures, all looked fine.

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
jms
Algae Grower

small update. Got a whole bunch of rotala green, planted, then hacked down in an attempt to grow it in nice and thick, and full. we'll see how that goes. pics (just so I can gauge growth.)

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 01:27 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to Digital Send a message via Yahoo to Digital Send a message via Skype™ to Digital
Very nice

post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 03:03 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (456/100%)
is your drop checker dark green in color? with your high lighting, you could raise the CO2 to bring the drop checker color to yellow green.

i just read your post that you needed flame moss - i could have given you some with the rotala. is that rotala singapore/h'ra in the left side of the aquarium? it's a nice contrast to the green plants and transitional color for the driftwood.

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 03:06 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)
Does that 2211 provide good flow in the tank? I'm using one on my Mini-M and I feel like anything bigger it would be severely underpowered. But, I may just be greedy. Big fan of the scape you got going there though.

|

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 03:37 AM Thread Starter
jms
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispino Ramos View Post
is your drop checker dark green in color? with your high lighting, you could raise the CO2 to bring the drop checker color to yellow green.

i just read your post that you needed flame moss - i could have given you some with the rotala. is that rotala singapore/h'ra in the left side of the aquarium? it's a nice contrast to the green plants and transitional color for the driftwood.
yes, it's more of a darker green. I'm still messing with the Co2 to get it dialed in. I actually turned it down because it would eventually turn to a yellow over the course of a couple days and never go back to a darker green/blue.(Co2 runs 10 hrs a day with the lights) I think this may change now that there's a lot more plants. And yes that's the Singapore on the left with some red rotala mixed in as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrrrramos View Post
Does that 2211 provide good flow in the tank? I'm using one on my Mini-M and I feel like anything bigger it would be severely underpowered. But, I may just be greedy. Big fan of the scape you got going there though.
I think it's a good powered filter, though, I wouldn't run anything smaller on this size tank. I'm worried when I put lily pipes on it (this next weekend) it going to be a little bit less flow. That's going to be due to the 9mm outflow, going up to a 13mm outflow.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
jms
Algae Grower

Anyone recommend a lily pipe size for this tank. Eiher 13mm or 9mm tube size. Any input would be helpfull.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 11:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode