What type of fishes can I use? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
What type of fishes can I use?

What type of fishes should I put in this 5.5 gallon fish tank? I want something that would school around..and will stay pretty small...nothing that will out grow the tank in the next year or so.....I have just started this tank about 2 days ago. As you see I have no type of fishes. I am currently using kitty litter from walmart, a GE daylight (6500k) 26 watts cfl from walmart, and some pea size gravels I had leftover from an old tank. Home made co2 with a home made co2 diffuser, my ph is at 7.2. Plants I have in the tanks are riccia, microswords, crypts, and an unknown plant. All other parameters except ph is unknown..lol.. Any help would help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fish1.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	150.7 KB
ID:	20971  

Click image for larger version

Name:	fish.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	168.0 KB
ID:	20972  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 07:00 PM
F22
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
im thinking 3 or 4 male fancy guppy would look tight...
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 07:01 PM
Nerd Alert.

PTrader: (74/100%)
A oscar....No but seriously a betta, shrimp, badis badis pair or trio is really the only thing that comes to mind. I would say ember tetra but I think that is really pushing it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
"99% of the time, a fish tank with plants will fail. Once you start a dedicated planted tank with fish, then you begin to succeed." - Geniusdudekiran

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Was hoping for some fishes that will school around swim in groups. Im not sure which fishes usually does that. I think neons, tetras and rainbows, but not sure which one usually stay below 2 inch for their entire life spand. Any idea?
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 08:04 PM
Wannabe Guru

I would not suggest neons or rainbows at all in a tank that is 5.5 gls, when EMPTY.
The over all swimming space isn't 5.5gl's anymore, right, cause you've added harscape, sand, plants, etc.
I would go with shrimp, or if you really want, I can maybe suggest some microrasboras, like 5 or 6 of them. Even that I'm leery of cause I still think they should be in a tenner.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"You think you have tomorrow, but when tomorrow comes it's not tomorrow; it's now- and that's all you have" - Marc Johnson
Ehei-Pimpfen 276 yo!
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So what type of shrimp would you recommend? Also I was thinking, endlers? Let me know. Im a newbie at this,. Thanks!
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 09:49 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)
I think CRS go great with greenery in any tank, but if those are a bit on the steep side, I also love the look of snowball shrimp in heavily planted tanks. Once everything grows in thick they'll really pop.
You can also never go wrong with Red Cherry Shrimp. Get like 5 of them and you'll have 50 or so in no time! You can go with a microrasbora such as Boraras brigittae, but in nano tanks, shrimp are really your best bet.

|

post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 11:24 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)
I hope this goes without saying, but if you really only started this tank two days ago, make sure it's cycled before you add any fishes or other creatures!
You don't want fish deaths and sadness.

I think about the smallest schooling type fish would be rasboras, although with a tank that size it doesn't seem like you could get any more than 3-4. Also, the smaller the tank is, the less they seem to school, so you might want to just go with some interesting fish or shrimp that will be happy in this size. It seems like a better plan than getting less than an optimal number of schooling fish that probably won't school very much anyway.

I like your moss; was it already established before you put it in there?

Joy to the fishes!
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 12:36 AM
Wannabe Guru

+1 on the above, regarding a cycled tank.

Also remember, smaller tanks in general (this is not a solid rule) usually have more fluctuating water parameters than a larger tank.
If this is your first tank, or your first in a few years or so, maybe just stick with some cherry shrimp AFTER the tank is cycled. That way you won't be at a huge loss should anything go wrong. Cherries are pretty easy to take care of, and don't produce much of a bio-load so your water won't pollute as fast (granted you don't over-feed, etc).

"You think you have tomorrow, but when tomorrow comes it's not tomorrow; it's now- and that's all you have" - Marc Johnson
Ehei-Pimpfen 276 yo!
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 01:21 AM
Algae Grower

don't listen to those who tell you to follow the 1 inch per gallon rule; one, the original rule should read full as 1 inch that grows to not more than 3 inches per gallon; two, that rule is general guide line for 1st timers as a safety precaution.

i have a 6 gallon planted fluval edge; within it, i have 18 neon tetras, 4 guppies, 3 baby cory cats and a bunch of cherry shrimps. they are there for 2 weeks now, everyone including the plants are happy.

so there is no real limit on how many fish you can put in; my theory is you can put in as much as your tank can handle, which depends on the amount of bio filtration (live plants) you have.

and lastly, feed them once every 2 days; fishes don't die of hunger, they die of bad water condition from over feeding.

almost forgot, if you started your tank from scratch, you better let it run for a week; and then slowly add fish in small quantities to build your bacterial colony (cycle). however, you can accelerate cycle by using bedding from existing established tank; but it looks like you have already done scaping.
post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 02:43 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
If you can do alot of water changes and or you have a large fast growing plant mass. You can have lots of fish in a 5.5g.

In my 5.5g I currently have
5 brass tetra's
2 pea puffers
8 pygmy cory cats
1 wrestling half beak

I do a weekly 50% water change just because I do the same in all my tanks. But in this higher tech planted nano I have to add around 20ppm of nitrate weekly just to keep the levels up. If you keep your plants thriving it will make a big difference in the amount of fish you can safley keep in a 5.5g. IMO

But also with a large amount of fish in a tank and daily feedings your phosphate levels can get out of hand quickly. Also the higher the bioload the quicker things can go bad. Just beware.

+1 on the cycling the tank before adding fish.
Research fishless cycling proceedures
Its simple, humane and is a big help when setting up new tanks.
post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 03:55 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (17/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to ldk59
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerzaa View Post
don't listen to those who tell you to follow the 1 inch per gallon rule; one, the original rule should read full as 1 inch that grows to not more than 3 inches per gallon; two, that rule is general guide line for 1st timers as a safety precaution.

i have a 6 gallon planted fluval edge; within it, i have 18 neon tetras, 4 guppies, 3 baby cory cats and a bunch of cherry shrimps. they are there for 2 weeks now, everyone including the plants are happy.

so there is no real limit on how many fish you can put in; my theory is you can put in as much as your tank can handle, which depends on the amount of bio filtration (live plants) you have.

and lastly, feed them once every 2 days; fishes don't die of hunger, they die of bad water condition from over feeding.

almost forgot, if you started your tank from scratch, you better let it run for a week; and then slowly add fish in small quantities to build your bacterial colony (cycle). however, you can accelerate cycle by using bedding from existing established tank; but it looks like you have already done scaping.
There is not ONE SINGLE bit of accurate information in this post... in fact when I read it, my first thought was "this MUST be a troll"... I sincerely hope that I was correct !!!

icantquit, PLEASE do yourself a huge favour and listen to the established members of this forum... NOT this inaccurate/harmful information propagated in the quoted post above.

nerzaa, your tank is SEVERELY OVERSTOCKED.. I highly recommend that you remove (at the VERY LEAST) the neons immediately !!! Your tank has only been set up for TWO WEEKS, your blindly foolish statement that "everyone including the plants are happy" is at best misleading and uninformed...

I'll quit typing now before I get really upset and get myself into trouble with the mods....

Larry
post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 04:36 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldk59 View Post
There is not ONE SINGLE bit of accurate information in this post... in fact when I read it, my first thought was "this MUST be a troll"... I sincerely hope that I was correct !!!

icantquit, PLEASE do yourself a huge favour and listen to the established members of this forum... NOT this inaccurate/harmful information propagated in the quoted post above.

nerzaa, your tank is SEVERELY OVERSTOCKED.. I highly recommend that you remove (at the VERY LEAST) the neons immediately !!! Your tank has only been set up for TWO WEEKS, your blindly foolish statement that "everyone including the plants are happy" is at best misleading and uninformed...

I'll quit typing now before I get really upset and get myself into trouble with the mods....

Larry
most of you probably read about the 1 inch per gallon rule from somewhere or told by some "expert"; and i'd guess you have never experienced with overstocking beyond what others have told you.

i have an "overstocked" 50G goldfish tank for 2 yrs already; it's got 11 small ones, 2 mid-sized ones, and 1 large one; and these are all goldfish i'm talking about; that's at least 4 times the recommended bio-load according to the 1 inch per gallon rule; yet my fishes have been healthy and alive for the past 2 years. moreover, it's not even planted; the bio filtration of this tank is done by a large algae-covered wood. let me guess, you never thought of algae as bio filters, have you?

for now, i am not going to argue with you about my 6G's stocking capacity; but i will post an update in a month about my 6 gallon and let the fact speak for itself; that will shut you and the rest of the book smart people, and perhaps will make you think before blindly accepting what you are being told.
post #14 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 05:22 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (17/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to ldk59
"Book smart" ??? where did you imagine you heard that?

I've been keeping freshwater aquariums since 1967 or 68, my advice is based on practical experience, not the advice of any "expert" (although my collection of Aquarium related books does contain editions written by those "experts" that you seem to harbour so much disdain towards)

I would not ever argue your tank keeping practises with you (it's your tank to do with as you please), my only concern was that the OP "icantquit" would seriously consider taking some of your "advice"
thus starting his foray into the planted aquarium hobby at a serious disadvantage.

There are literally hundreds of experienced aquarists on this forum for one to glean valuable information regarding this hobby... I only suggest that newer members to this forum (and hobby)
take advantage of that resource. Failure to do so leaves one with no excuses for potential failure.

'Nuff said

Kindest regards to all

Larry K
post #15 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

WOW all, thanks for your polite input. The tank itself was set up a few days ago.. 1/2 of my water came from an established fish tank that i was pumping co2 in, the other 1/2 of it was r/o water. I would assume its establish?? Im really not experience with planted tanks. I was hoping to find some small colorful fishes to fill in the tank without harming them. With the c02 and cat litter substrate...who knows what can really live in it without dying....err....ill try a few low grade crs for now..and maybe 2 pairs endlers from a LFS..,...again all thanks for your input...highly appreciated...Ill take more pics of the tank as the tank develops...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode