Co2 & GHA Help - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-15-2016, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Co2 & GHA Help

My 5 gallon nano exploded with hair algae after the addition of co2. I read a little co2 can be good so I started with 1 bps, then the gha explodes then I did more reading and found that more co2 will help combat it, so bumped up to 2-3 bps and it only got worse. I'm dosing NPK twice a week. No fish in the tank but the shrimp get an algae wafer every other day and I remove any uneaten food the next day. Lights only on for 8 hours daily. Light is finnex planted+. I'm at a loss here about to ditch co2 altogether and go low tech with only moss and ferns, anubias. Very frustrating.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-16-2016, 04:04 AM
Wannabe Guru

Co2 & GHA Help

I think the CO2 didn't cause the algae but the 2 just happened to occur simultaneously. CO2 shouldn't really cause algae.
How long has the tank been setup? 8 hours is quite a long period for what I'm assuming is a new tank. I would reduce it to about 5.
Also what has your water change routine been like? Regular water changes at the start are good to remove nasty organics.
You will also need to start thinking about dosing micros as well as macros.
Another thing do you have a drop checker? Because BPS is quite inaccurate, you won't really know how much CO2 you are pumping in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-16-2016, 04:38 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Tank has been running for about 3 months, co2 for about one month. I should say I've been doing small 5% weekly water changes and bi-weekly 50%. I also do dose flourish comprehensive once a week along with flourish advance that was getting dosed daily per the instructions. I've since stopped the advance completely since the gha took over.
Have been dosing excel daily to combat algae. Still think lights are on too long? There is very little water movement in the tank and I'm thinking that has something to do with it. Only a nano sponge filter currently.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-16-2016, 04:41 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Oh also, I do have a drop checker, but it didn't include 4kh fluid, just said to use drops only, have never gotten it past green, even with 3 bps. I thought that without enough flow the co2 is not getting to it?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 12:29 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apistolover39 View Post
Oh also, I do have a drop checker, but it didn't include 4kh fluid, just said to use drops only, have never gotten it past green, even with 3 bps. I thought that without enough flow the co2 is not getting to it?
You need the 4dkH fluid or else it will not work properly. The colour referance works off of a kH/pH comparison chart so that's why you need 4dKH water.
Flow could also be an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode