5g tank (i hope) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question 5g tank (i hope)

so i am hoping to get a 5 gallon tank with 1 male dwarf puffer (and hopefully 1 female puffer) it would be a planted tank and i am asking for recomendations on a good, cheap tank and a decent light for someone on a budget that i can buy better lightbulbs if i want to get high light plants all information will be helpful. if it is a store u r reccomending it needs to be in the san diego area and all websites are welcomed. thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 07:42 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
for best budget just start with an all glass frame tank you can usually pick one up at LFS for less than $10, a lot of the frame less tanks you see here are very nice but do cost $$ compared to a traditional framed tank, and you can always upgrade it later on. Light, there are numerous clip on lights for aquariums or even a basic desk or work light with screw in bulb would work, you could swap the incandescent bulb for a screw in florescent.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 01:39 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Why not get a Hampton Bay desklamp and de-rim the tank?

"My next hobby is going to be tearing up $100 bills while simultaneously banging my head against a wall and flooding my basement."
"Ask not what the hobby can do for you, but what you can do the the hobby" - ScapeFu

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 09:09 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (13/100%)
I started with the wal mart special 5 gallon... the filter eventually broke and i had to buy a heater because it didnt come with one. I've heard getting a breeding pair of puffers can be hard because they will fight, and they need alot of plants to break their sight of each other, in my experience i think 5 gallon is to small for 2 puffers because one will stress the other out , But u can start a tank for pretty cheap if you shop around a bit san diego is a big city, and if all else fails im sure mexico has some pretty cheap fish tank supplies .
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 10:07 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
haha what greedy said it could possibly work, but conditions need to be just right and needs to be a TON of things to break the line of sight. I believe one of the guys over on the dwarfpuffer forums bred 2 dps in a 5 gallon tank but had nothing just moss in there.

Tags
5 gallon, tank help

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode